Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

historical recipes

Options
  • 04-06-2013 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just wondering if anyone knows good sites for recipes discussing historical or old school recipes? Looking to make some good mead & ales this summer with things I can forage from the countryside.

What I'd really love is some links to old source documents with recipes on them. Should probably ask in the history forum for that though.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Ron patterson SHUT UP ABOUT BARCLAY PERKINS blog is the most accurate collection of historical recipes around as its sourced from primary material in the brewesrs log. But is geared towards the activates of commercial brewers

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.ie/

Durden park beer circle is a great little group that maybe able to help you out the aims are :

"We are a group of dedicated beer makers. Originally our main activity was based on the research, production and appreciation of Old British Beers particularly from around 1840 - 1914 when a vast range of quality beers were brewed. We continue this tradition and our aim is to produce quality beers of any type."

http://www.durdenparkbeer.org.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Blambalam

WOW thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

hi i m fairly new to the wonderful world of brewing and have 0 time with new baby and toddler in the house but wondering if there are any old recipes believed to be used in monastic times. It would be interesting to taste the no hops beers. I also like the idea that they drank during lent due to the rules on fasting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's pretty much all guesswork. Here's an attempt to get some hard brewing data out of medieval sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

I find Barclay Perkins intensely sarcastic and therefore difficult to read.

Historical recipes can be had but they're scattered all over the place and you really should just pick on style, see who made it, and see are their recipes recorded anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Tube wrote: »
    Historical recipes can be had but they're scattered all over the place and you really should just pick on style, see who made it, and see are their recipes recorded anywhere.

Unholy mess has compiled all of Rons and Kristens (BJCP education director) Lets brew Wednesday recipes

http://www.unholymess.com/blog/lets-brew

Advertisement