Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modifying Your Guns

Options
  • 04-06-2013 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

This is probably more got to do with rifles as there isn't much you can do with shotguns.

I'm just wondering do you buy a rifle with ideas in your mind of how to modify it?

I used to be a person who liked a rifle out of the box but now I look at projects. My CZ I went and did all the work I could to make it more accurate just so I know it is the best it can be. I've just but a deposit on a Ruger 10/22 for gallery rifle and already have a boyd's stock ordered. Over the coming weeks I plan on tearing it apart and replacing trigger, barrel, bolt, etc.

I also like my guns to stand out from the crowd be it with a nice stock or some features that wouldn't be on a factory gun.

Let me know what ye do be thinking when shopping for new guns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

I did thes same as you with the 10/22 got the stainless carbine and changed every bit of it but for the receiver, had it in a boyds ss evo stock and tested some others, went with a nice solid aluminium bedding modular stock that does the job for me.
    I got the r700 sps in 300 winmag and currently rebuilding it, the stock had been changed its off this week getting the Mod fitted, then after that im not sure.
    my Howa 1500 in .223 its more or less out of the box other than a bedding job and a few tweeks.
    I would rather build my perfect gun than buy the same gun as john down the road, it's more fun as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I migh change the bolt knob on the tikka 243 but that's prob about it. I actually might try make my own stock for my semi auto shotgun. For the crack but I buy a gun I like and don't hav much desire to pimp it up. That's now but who knows what I might see one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Didn't sparks show part of the last firearms act here before that its actually illegal to work on your own guns ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

rowa wrote: »
    Didn't sparks show part of the last firearms act here before that its actually illegal to work on your own guns ?

You can work on your own guns, all legal once you're not cutting rifle barrels under 20inches or putting restricted parts onto an unrestricted firearm etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Timney trigger, VQ trigger, i.e. trigger job if needed. Better fitting stock / nicer stock (or bedding - but I have not had to do that on any of mine). Free float the barrel. Faster lock time / spring for the bolt. New recoil spring for some semi-autos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I was the same as you dev. I always bought a quality factory rifle and left it as it was.
    Then I bought a new remington and thats when the tinkering started.
    I didnt like the plastic stock or trigger so I ordered a boyds and a riflebasix trigger. Then I got a bolt knob fitted, then I replaced the firing pin and spring with one of David tubbs units. I then fitted a custom barrel so the only original part left is the action. I then started on my cz22lr, I put a boyds stock on it, replaced the firing pin spring and mag release catch.
    Then I got a boyds stock fitted to my sako 85.
    Now when I think about a new rifle I look at actions and what I can build from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

You'll never see me mod any of my firearms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

clivej wrote: »

+1
    Made that mistake before. The custom rifle route is not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Who does it then? The elves??? When they're not working for the shoemaker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

WHAT!!!!!!!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

:rolleyes:

I call shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Only factory part of my 10/22 is the receiver and im looking at custom ones :-):-):-)

Always use factory mags if that counts, Although they have weights added :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Traditionally I would never have done a thing to a rifle other than stick a scope on it.
    Now I change anything plastic on a rifle, on the Quad I've ordered a Bolt Handle, Trigger Guard and a few other things from Kinney's and the plastic stock is on the way out the Door as well, Plastic and Hunting Rifles are not for me I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

BattleCorp wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I call shenanigans.
    Shenanigans !!!!! I think we can just go ahead and call bulls**t on that one. :D:D

Exhibit A
    B
    C
    D
    E

............ and that is only the guns to say nothing of his gear. Clivej is a man that has never seen anything he couldn't modify. :cool::D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Cass wrote: »
    Shenanigans !!!!! I think we can just go ahead and call bullsh!t on that one. :D:D

Exhibit A
    B
    C
    D
    E

............ and that is only the guns to say nothing of his gear. Clivej is a man that has never seen anything he couldn't modify. :cool::D

That must be the OTHER cliveJ your thinking of :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Exhibit F
    G
    H
    I

...................................... etc

Plenty more to read in the 'Tipps' section

And that's only a few mods that the 'other cliveJ' shares with you's all. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement