Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet killed my puppy

• 04-06-2013 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice. My puppy caught her paw in our sitting room door last week and broke her paw. We panicked and took her to the closest vet (which wasn't the one we usually go to as it's in a different town) We thought it would be a straightforward procedure - x-ray, bandage and send her home. He told us he had to keep her in overnight as it was late in the evening and he couldn't anesthetise her straight away in case she was in shock. He looked for 130 euro upfront which was ok. He told us he would have to put her under anaesthetic to x-ray her but we never signed a consent form and he never informed us of any risks.
    The next day he rang me to say that he had x-rayed her but put a cast on her paw but she swallowed some of the anaesthetic and had inhaled it into her lungs. He said he got most of it out and that she was ok but he wanted to keep her in for observation and all going well we would have her back at lunch time the next day.
    We heard nothing the next day so I rang him in the afternoon to see if we could collect her and he tells me she's dying from aspiration pneumonia! He said he knew at 8am that morning that she was dying and he never rang us! I asked could we go and see her only to find out that he had moved her to his second clinic (which he did without our permission) which was a half hour drive away (we later found out that it was during that journey that she vomited and inhaled stuff into her lungs) We arrived and there was no sign of him and the clinic was closed. I rang him and he said that he was on lunch for the last two hours. He turned up about 20 mins later and when we went in our little puppy was dead. So basically to sum it all up, we never signed a consent form, we were never informed of any risks involved, we didn't give permission for her to be moved, we weren't told she was dying and she was left in an empty clinic by herself to dye for 2 hours or more. We then looked into the aspiration pneumonia and found that a dog should not be left lying on its side for more than 2 hours (which she was) and it looked like she had choked to death on her own vomit. Does anyone know if I could take legal action for medical negligence? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I think in this case yes you should report the vet, under no circumstances should they have anesthetised your pup without consent, it's the first thing that should be done on admission! I find it odd that he said that is swallowed some of the anaesthetic as i personally don't know of any given orally (could be wrong on this). Here is a link to the veterinary council of Ireland on disciplinary procedures, I don't know would it be much help. http://www.vci.ie/Disciplinary/ So sorry for your loss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

The first thing I would do is report that vet to whatever board looks after vets.
    To try make sure this does not happen to others by that vet.

Your story sounds unreal but if true you could post in the legal part of the forum.

I will post a link.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cocobubbles

Believe me, its real. I couldn't make something like that up, everyone I've told has been in disbelief because its so far fetched that she went in with a broken paw (and was otherwise perfectly healthy) and ended up dead :(

Just our of curiosity how old was the pup? Young dogs sometimes don't do well under anaesthetic unfortunately, but still, this is a risk that should have been presented to you by the veterinary staff.

I think in this case yes you should report the vet, under no circumstances should they have anesthetised your pup without consent, it's the first thing that should be done on admission! I find it odd that he said that is swallowed some of the anaesthetic as i personally don't know of any given orally (could be wrong on this). Here is a link to the veterinary council of Ireland on disciplinary procedures, I don't know would it be much help. http://www.vci.ie/Disciplinary/ So sorry for your loss!

Thanks SillyMangoX I rang the vet council on Friday so they are sending me out forms to launch an investigation. I want to take legal action, not for compensation but to ensure that this never happens to anyone again.

• Advertisement

Just our of curiosity how old was the pup? Young dogs sometimes don't do well under anaesthetic unfortunately, but still, this is a risk that should have been presented to you by the veterinary staff.

She was 8 and a half months old and in perfect health. We were never warned of any risks and I rang a few vets after she passed away to find out what the procedure is for anaesthetic and they all said I would have had to sign a consent form

At 8 1/2 months I would think they would be fairly stable under anesthetic, pups get neutered at 6 months so it would be a safe age. The other vets were absolutely right that you should have signed consent, as with that it waves all rights of taking a case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OP i am so sorry for your loss but:
    we never signed a consent form and he never informed us of any risks.

Every single vet worth their salt gets an owner's consent form before anaesthesia administration.Before they even accept an animal for surgery a consent form should be signed. It's not always valid in court, but it's the first basic step that is done by a practitioner.
    wrote:
    he tells me she's dying from aspiration pneumonia!
    He said he knew at 8am that morning that she was dying and he never rang us! I asked could we go and see her only to find out that he had moved her to his second clinic (which he did without our permission) which was a half hour drive away (we later found out that it was during that journey that she vomited and inhaled stuff into her lungs) We arrived and there was no sign of him and the clinic was closed. I rang him and he said that he was on lunch for the last two hours. He turned up about 20 mins later and when we went in our little puppy was dead.

No animal is transferred to another practice under these conditions end of without full compliance from an owner.
    wrote:
    So basically to sum it all up, we never signed a consent form, we were never informed of any risks involved, we didn't give permission for her to be moved, we weren't told she was dying and she was left in an empty clinic by herself to dye for 2 hours or more.

As above, anaesthesia, no matter how small the operation has a huge risk and every vet should make this clear.
    wrote:
    Does anyone know if I could take legal action for medical negligence? Thanks
    All complaints regarding medical malpractice should be directed to The Veterinary Council of Ireland.

Thanks Anniehoo, do you know would the vet council take legal action if they see fit or should I look into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Thanks Anniehoo, do you know would the vet council take legal action if they see fit or should I look into it?

The VCI are there for a reason.No vet wants to be reported to them. If they don't take it further, it's up to you then legally wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Christ that's heartbreaking, sorry to hear that OP hope you get somewhere with the Vet Council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Really sorry to hear this story, I have nothing to add that will help, but it sounds like complete negligence and a real lack of care/respect for the poor puppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

The vet wasn't in Kildare or Laois was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Thats a terrible story, really sorry OP. I dont understand how your dog could have inhaled the anaesthetic, thats given into the vein IV...I think theres also an anaesthetic gas (I dont know if this is commonly used - I think not) but that would be a gas the dog should inhale. Its bizzare. The attitude of your vet and the way the whole situation was handled is appalling, really really bad.

@Irelandspurs no the vet in was north county Dublin...
    @maggiepip I'm not even sure what the vet meant when he said that. I think what happened is that during the transfer from one clinic to another she vomited and inhaled some back into her lungs. He never even told us he was transferring her because if he had, I would have told him not to because she always got car sick. He never suggested a post mortem either and he disposed of her body a.s.a.p. because I rang him 24 hours after her death to see if we could get the body (to send it to UCD for a free post mortem) and he had already sent her for cremation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

So sorry to hear this happened.

Surely cremation needs to be signed off on by the owner too? Sounds very dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

cocobubbles I think you should name the vet to stop this happening to someone else

I would then look at taking legal action against the vet and or the practice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

@Irelandspurs no the vet in was north county Dublin...
    @maggiepip I'm not even sure what the vet meant when he said that. I think what happened is that during the transfer from one clinic to another she vomited and inhaled some back into her lungs. He never even told us he was transferring her because if he had, I would have told him not to because she always got car sick. He never suggested a post mortem either and he disposed of her body a.s.a.p. because I rang him 24 hours after her death to see if we could get the body (to send it to UCD for a free post mortem) and he had already sent her for cremation.

Was she microchipped? if so, please inform the company that if her chip details are changed, you must be informed immediately. the reason I say this is that there was another poster on here a good while ago that had a similar scenario, the vet said the dog was pts, then it turned up with another family somewhere else. I don't mean to upset you or get your hopes up at all, but just something else for you to think about in this whole sorry tale I'm afraid.

So sorry for all that you're going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Merl1n wrote: »
    cocobubbles I think you should name the vet to stop this happening to someone else

I dont think its advised to name and shame if there is going to be legal action?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Do not name the vet or practice. In the event of legal action being taken it's best not to discuss too many of the finer details on an online forum.

But OP do send in your complaint to the VCI and should you get no joy there, crucify the fecker in court.

• Advertisement

I won't name the place for now until I hear back from a few solicitors. <snip>

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Bloody hell cocobubbles,
    With each post you write about what happened to your pup, and specifically the behaviour of that vet, the harder my jaw hits the floor.
    That is utterly outrageous conduct.
    Definitely make a complaint with the VCI, I have found them to be pretty good at taking complaints seriously and following through on them... There are a couple of vets I see mentioned on here from time to time who have been sanctioned for far less than what you have described.
    I'm sure you have already, but if not, make detailed notes now, with times, dates, who said what etc. Contemporaneous notes may be very useful to you down the road.
    I am so sorry for you and your pup. A dreadful experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I dont think its advised to name and shame if there is going to be legal action?

So very sorry for your loss. I couldn't bear to read after the first line, but got the gist from the following posts.

Under no circumstances should you name this vet whilst legal action is taking place. In fact, maybe you should consider not posting any more on this thread, unless the information is very general IYKWIM.

Run free little one...:(

muddypaws wrote: »
    Was she microchipped? if so, please inform the company that if her chip details are changed, you must be informed immediately. the reason I say this is that there was another poster on here a good while ago that had a similar scenario, the vet said the dog was pts, then it turned up with another family somewhere else. I don't mean to upset you or get your hopes up at all, but just something else for you to think about in this whole sorry tale I'm afraid.

So sorry for all that you're going through.

Ya she was microchipped but I had the unfortunate experience of seeing her stiff little body lying in the cage. He fecked off on lunch and left her to die in the clinic by herself and if we hadn't contacted him we wouldn't have even known...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ya she was microchipped but I had the unfortunate experience of seeing her stiff little body lying in the cage. He fecked off on lunch and left her to die in the clinic by herself and if we hadn't contacted him we wouldn't have even known...

Bastard!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Under no circumstances should this practice be named, shamed, or made obvious who or where it is.
    This could prejudice the OP's case, and it would almost certainly result in this site being threatened with legal action.
    The facts of this case have not yet been investigated nor proven. Until they are, there is to be no attempt to identify this practice on-thread.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Interesting that the vet was in North County Dublin as had an emergency last week and was not at all impressed with the aftercare. Was also in North County Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

can you pm me the vets name so i can avoid them

• Registered Users Posts: 25 samdavis

Beautiful dog, so sorry to hear of your loss x

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

do NOT public name the vet here.you WILL lose the case if you do.Do not even private pm the name to anyone,again if the vet hears of it,spreading rumors etc you will lose.mention the area if you like.somebody here will know the vet and tell him.

Advertisement