Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet killed my puppy

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

do NOT public name the vet here.you WILL lose the case if you do.Do not even private pm the name to anyone,again if the vet hears of it,spreading rumors etc you will lose.mention the area if you like.somebody here will know the vet and tell him.

I have already dealt with this issue.
    I have already snipped the town which this practice is in. I do not want it mentioned, because this is as good as identifying the vet in question, as well as potentially casting doubt on other vets in the area. I have narrowed it down to one of two vets already because I know what town he practices in.
    So no, as already stated in my post above, the area in which he practices is not to be posted, other than keeping it to a vague "north county Dublin".
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cocobubbles

The sooner I get those forms from the vet council the better...she said the process can take weeks though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

I'm so sorry for your loss OP, this is shocking. I wish you the best for the court case and thanks also for sharing your experience with us.

Mod note: regrettably, I've had to remove the picture of cocobubbles' dog as it potentially makes her identifiable to the vet, should his attention be drawn to this thread.
    For fear of something like this prejudicing her case, the photo was removed. Can I just, at this point, ask all posters to think carefully about what they post here, for the same reason.
    I don't want to close the thread as OP will get help and support from it, as long as nothing that is said on it could be held as prejudicial.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

This whole thing stinks to high heaven . If everything happened the way the op has told it this vet is in deep deep trouble . And maybe knows it to . Why els move the dog and get rid of the evidence quickly.

But there's always 2 sides of every story so op needs to take this all the way and prepare for a long drawn out battle.

I'm absolutely disgusted and thank god I have a great vet that I trust.

Good luck op

• Advertisement

Thanks @monkeysnapper and thanks to everyone for yer support. vet council forms arrived in the post today so I have a busy afternoon ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

The vet wasn't in Kildare or Laois was it?

Grand just sounded similar to a vet local here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm so sorry about your puppy, that is an awful thing to happen. I hope the vet is held to account for his actions or lack of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

i'm so sorry for your loss op, its unbelievable cruel on you. that vet really deserves to be reported and i'll say you wont rest until its done.
    just 2 quick things, what breed of dog was it, maybe dont answer that just in case, the reason i ask is theres a greyhound rescue near me and the woman running it is very picky about what vet she'll let anesthetize her dogs as they can have a bad reaction to it.
    2nd thing and i'm open to correction here, my dog had to be pts and i wanted him to be cremated but the vet had to hold on to him for a few days before he was collected, maybe dublin is different as in theres more frequent collections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Young dogs sometimes don't do well under anaesthetic unfortunately

Not in my experience, nor according to any of the material I've read? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

boomerang wrote: »
    Not in my experience, nor according to any of the material I've read? :confused:

They are considered 'high risk' patients under anaesthesia, same as geriatric animals or those otherwise comprised. That is animals under 3-4 months of age, any older than that and it would be normal! They can have problems with hypothermia and metabolising anaesthetic agents, and have problems regulating glucose and blood pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Even if that was the case there seems to be a number of things that the vet has done that seems out of the ordinary. I.E, transporting without permission, cremation, leaving the dog alone to die, knowing the dog was going to die and not informing the owner, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭terryduff12

So sorry to hear about your pup, that lad shouldn`t be in practice and if it happened to me im afraid he would be walking with a limp for the rest of his days.

So sorry to hear about your pup, that lad shouldn`t be in practice and if it happened to me im afraid he would be walking with a limp for the rest of his days.

Whilst I know the actions as reported of this vet are cause for justifiable anger, can I remind all posters that advocating violence or aggression towards him is not on. It is also against the forum charter.
    There is due process to be followed.
    Again, I understand that this is a highly emotive thread, but please rein in talk of retribution.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭fits

So sorry to hear this.

My whippet was anaesthetized with no time to fast properly after an accident last week and I was so worried about it. Just goes to show that it is very risky, and excellent care is so important. Despite his being in shock, I drove the extra distance to get to a vet I know I can trust but it was still very risky.

I hope that you get some answers from Veterinary Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

I'm so sorry for your loss cocobubbles :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They are considered 'high risk' patients under anaesthesia, same as geriatric animals or those otherwise comprised. That is animals under 3-4 months of age, any older than that and it would be normal! They can have problems with hypothermia and metabolising anaesthetic agents, and have problems regulating glucose and blood pressure.

Have to disagree, so long as anaesthetic monitoring is vigilant, risk of hypothermia is addressed by providing supplementary heat, the fasting time before surgery is reduced and they are given food once standing (Give atipamazole to reverse effects of medetomidine so recovery is faster and they can eat sooner).

Totally off topic I accept, but I think a lot of vets are still wary of paediatric surgery, and they needn't be. If an owner wants to neuter their pet, it is nuts to wait until six months of age when performing the surgery a month or two earlier carriers no greater risk, and waiting carries the risk that the animal will have a season and possibly get caught. I've been involved in arranging neutering for literally hundreds of kittens between 12 and 16 weeks of age, and we've never lost a single one!

ETA: Part of the "six months" hoary old chestnut stems from a time when anaesthetics were not as safe and sophisticated as they are now. Unfortunately most vets are afraid to risk the surgery earlier than six months when private clients are involved, but will happily do so for rescue groups. One vet in Cork that I know of is safely neutering feral kittens from five weeks of age! While I think that's extreme, it does go to show that more veterinary professionals need to go beyond the received wisdom and read the body of research out there in support of paediatric spay/neuter.

I know that it can be done in younger animals, particularly in emergency situations, but in a case like this where the vet seems to be imcompitant at monitoring an extremely ill patient I certainly wouldn't recommend them anesthetize a patient younger than 6 months! But again, I haven't done much more research into it than what I have been taught in college, and what I've read in the veterinary nursing manual. Don't want to drag this any more off topic, especially since it's irrelevant with the OPs pups age!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

slightly off topic as well but in a case of a bitch needing a c section and needs to be anaesthetized how dangerous is this surely there is a cross over from bitch to pups yet most pups are perfect shortly afterwards or is there something im missing

jimf wrote: »
    slightly off topic as well but in a case of a bitch needing a c section and needs to be anaesthetized how dangerous is this surely there is a cross over from bitch to pups yet most pups are perfect shortly afterwards or is there something im missing

It does cross over to the pups but not as much as getting it themselves, a lot of pups are born very groggy after the c section and some need oxygen and a medication to revive them. Not in all cases but I've seen it done more than once.

• Advertisement

thanks siilymangox just wondered because ive had 2 litters born by c section and no losses than god

jimf wrote: »
    thanks siilymangox just wondered because ive had 2 litters born by c section and no losses than god

That's great! The gas anaesthetic has a very quick recovery time and the second the cord is cut between mom and pup the cross over is stopped so they do come around quite quick!

yes very lucky id say last time 9 pups reared all after c cection and 2 bouts of mastitis this is why i always say your mad if you think you will make money from puppies if its done properly sold 6 kept 3 might have broken even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OP, so sorry for your loss. Stay strong and bring this vet to justice.
    The vet wasn't in Kildare or Laois was it?

That's funny, when I was reading the OP's post I immediately thought of a vet in Kildare too, glad it's not the same vet the OP is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elen88

I'm so sorry for your loss OP and disgusted to hear that someone in the profession could have done this to a dog he was meant to properly care for. I'm also very worried as I too live in North county Dublin and have not got much experience with dogs and vets but I believe the vet I go to is very good. Lesson I learnt from your story is to always go to the vet you know and trust. Please report the vet and keep us posted.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

Can I please ask what has happened since? I'd love to know how this was resolved. Thanks and so sorry for your loss again.

UPDATE FOR THIS THREAD:

Hi all, hope everyone had a nice Christmas. I said I'd update everyone on the outcome of this issue -
    I received a large envelope on Christmas eve from the Vet Council. The first page basically told me that "due to insufficient evidence the veterinary council have decided not to proceed with the investigation". The following pages were a copy of the response & notes given by the vet in question.
    I can honestly say I was and still am absolutely devastated. The more I read, the more I cried. He told a bunch of lies AND admitted that we didn't sign a consent form but he still got away with it! Also he gave my little puppy SIX doses of medication in the space of 2 hours!!! And they're telling me there's insufficient evidence??
    He blamed us for everything, it was OUR fault that we didn't sign a consent form because WE left the surgery too quickly....when in actual fact HE opened the door and showed us out!!!! It was MY fault that he couldn't contact me to tell me about my puppys condition because my phone number wasn't working...yet it was working fine when he first called me after the xray to tell me "she was fine and would be home by lunch time the following day". I could go on but basically in his opinion everything that went wrong was our fault and he gets away with murder - literally.
    We were also informed that we could appeal the decision to the circuit court but I unfortunately don't have the thousands of euros it costs to go through this process.
    So to wrap it up it's exactly 7 months later today that we first experienced this agony and unfortunately nothing has come of it. Thanks to everyone who has commented for your support xx

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Oh God what a horrible situation :( So sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

no surprises that he gets away with it. thats the way **** works over here. have a look into taking further action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

That's a horrible situation to be in op, the cheek of him to deny all that and lie! I hope there's someway you can appeal this without costing so much.

Advertisement