Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet killed my puppy

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

That is absolutely ridic OP. I'm so sorry for your loss. Your fight was a noble and brave one to protect other animals from this vet. I'm so sorry it didn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

That is disgraceful and frankly disgusting. Sometimes you wonder is there any justice in this world. Lets hope no other animal dies as a result of this decision not to press charges. So sorry OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Jesus, that's just horrible. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Awful story, hope there are still avenues open to you OP. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

This is just terrible OP - we put our trust in vets with our animals - I've had the experience of one poor one imo and thankfully it did'nt result in a fatality - just I never darkened their door again.

But to lose a treasured pet so young in these circumstances is awful - regardless of anything else don't let that decision apportioning any blame to you by this vet affect you - all you did was trust in their capabilities as a professional - even if it was a rare occurence that couldn't be avoided for your pup - for a vet to try and sideline any blame towards the owner is abhorrent - this vet is sure to get their comeuppence if they continue to treat their patients and owners this way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jesus cocobubbles :(
    I'm speechless.
    The worst thing is that I know this vet. Whilst I'll occasionally hear one negative story about other vets in the area, in this vet's case I've never had one good report.
    Actually, that's a lie. I had one good report from a lady who has since moved to a different practice because she became dissatisfied with the level of service since.
    It really begs the question... how many vets get into trouble, despite complaints? I know one vet who has been slapped on the wrist twice for breaches of rules (not negligence), but what he did pales into insignificance compared to what your vet did.
    I'm so sorry cocobubbles, yours was indeed a noble fight, and fair play to you. I feel so sad and disappointed for you, it's a real kick in the teeth :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Actually, now that I think of it... I can understand why you don't want to go through a big legal battle, but, I do think you should write back to the VCI, and point by point refute all the things this vet lied about, with your own substantiation. Also express your utter disappointment and disgust at the vet's untruthful behaviour.
    It may make no difference, but a least you get some sort of final word put into this file, so that the next time a complaint is made about this vet, your comments are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cocobubbles

Thanks for the advice DBB, I never even thought of that. I'm definitely going to do that tonight & send it tomorrow. Like you said it may make no difference but at least it will be on file for the next time someone complains about him.
    It's been a tough 7 months mentally and I think about her everyday, but last week I got a tattoo of her name & a paw print on my wrist so now she's always with me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'll pledge €10 to the "cocobubbles circuit court fund"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Terrible story - was there any justification on behalf of the vet or the VCI as to how a pup who went in with a broken paw could die of aspiration pneumonia?

What did it aspirate??!

Was there a PM carried out at the time?

Or if you think there is sufficient evidence in the notes you have received (such as leaving the dog unattended for extended periods of time) go through the small claims court for negligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 twiggy86

I don't have much to add to this but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry to read this update, I've heard some real horror stories about vets and they seem to always just get away with negligent behavior. I've know farmers who've had livestock killed because of a vets neglect and they don't bother complaining because they see no point.

I really really hope writing to the VCI helps or there are some other options you can pursue, I'll be thinking of you. I'm looking at my 2 dogs snoring on the couch and can't imagine going through what you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Have you thought about googling pro bono solicitors who might take a case on a no win no fee basis?
    Normally I wouldn't encourage litigation but in this case it seems justified
    **hugs**

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

You do know that the circuit court appeal is only to appeal the finding of the Veterinary Council which is only a disciplinary tribunal? The Courts are still available to you; you could take a District Court case; far cheaper. As someone said, go see a solicitor. There are plenty who will at least meet you initially for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Thats a very sad place to be in and Im shock that this vet is still gonna practice. Even though it is against forum rules the way I see it if all else fails with the VCI and you done everything in your power to seek justice for the poor pup I see no other alternative but to 'NAME & SHAME' not just on forums but locally where you live to warn pet owners never go to this so called vet. Make his business suffer!!

Pets are part of our lives they are living breathing creatures just like all of us.
    Lets face it if that was a young child and a doctor did the same thing there be public outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

jonon9 wrote: »
    Thats a very sad place to be in and Im shock that this vet is still gonna practice. Even though it is against forum rules the way I see it if all else fails with the VCI and you done everything in your power to seek justice for the poor pup I see no other alternative but to 'NAME & SHAME' not just on forums but locally where you live to warn pet owners never go to this so called vet. Make his business suffer!!

Pets are part of our lives they are living breathing creatures just like all of us.
    Lets face it if that was a young child and a doctor did the same thing there be public outrage.

The VCI is only one avenue. See about taking a legal case against him first.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    You do know that the circuit court appeal is only to appeal the finding of the Veterinary Council which is only a disciplinary tribunal? The Courts are still available to you; you could take a District Court case; far cheaper. As someone said, go see a solicitor. There are plenty who will at least meet you initially for free.

I spoke to numerous solicitors including no win no fee ones and no one was interested in taking the case! I was basically told by most of them that I would be wasting my time & money and that I would need another vet on my side to go against the one in question but that's not going to happen because they all stick together :(

jonon9 wrote: »

I couldn't agree more, if this involved a child there would be a massive deal made of it. I know to some people "its just a dog" but to me she was like my child. I so wish I could name & shame the b*****d...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

small claims court might be an option , doesnt cost much and you can argue your own case , at the very least the individual in question will be inconvenienced for a day

juniord wrote: »
    small claims court might be an option , doesnt cost much and you can argue your own case , at the very least the individual in question will be inconvenienced for a day

I don't know the best way to go about it because I don't want a cent of compensation, I just want him to be punished in some way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I spoke to numerous solicitors including no win no fee ones and no one was interested in taking the case! I was basically told by most of them that I would be wasting my time & money and that I would need another vet on my side to go against the one in question but that's not going to happen because they all stick together :(

Can you get copies of all the paperwork and redact the vets name & any identifying info and get a vet maybe in NI to give an opinion?

• Advertisement

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Can you get copies of all the paperwork and redact the vets name & any identifying info and get a vet maybe in NI to give an opinion?

Ya I have a copy of all the paperwork, the VCI sent it to me along with his response to my complaint so I have everything...that's a good idea about getting a NI vets opinion thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

I don't know the best way to go about it because I don't want a cent of compensation, I just want him to be punished in some way
    if you were awarded anything moneywise you could donate it if you wished,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

as
    Ya I have a copy of all the paperwork, the VCI sent it to me along with his response to my complaint so I have everything...that's a good idea about getting a NI vets opinion thanks!
    As I said in another thread no vet would or should get involved in a case that is not their own, especially since the VCI have already investigated it.Unfortunately as your dog has passed away they have nothing to gain from being involved i.e gaining a new client. Apologies for that sounding insensitive but you can understand what I'm trying to say.

Most vets have enough hassles of their own without getting involved in anothers, nevermind what part of the country they're in. I second what DBB said above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,could you contact someone in the hierarcy of the ISPCA and get their opinion because what this vet done was fairly cruel to me.

Also,if it were me,Id be going to my local TD and asking him are the VCI there to regulate or to just collect a big fat salary.

The whole thing is outrageous.You need to get some justice from it.

It has been exactly one year today since my little puppy passed away. I want to thank everyone for your kind messages. We have tried our best to have this vet reprimanded for his negligence but unfortunately we haven't been successful. He gets to continue mistreating animals and we are left with a paw shaped hole in our hearts :(

Rest in peace little one xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

As a dog owner, I am so upset to hear of your ordeal. I cannot imagine your pain and suffering but fair play to you for highlighting the issue.

My partner is a Vet Nurse and the horror stories that I hear would make you cry. Animal welfare legislation in this country is a bloody joke and I am really ashamed of the ongoing government attitudes.

I would absolutely do anything for my dog, and I would never ever let the Vet away with that. There must be something you can do. The fact that this fool is still practicing is beyond belief.

I bet your little girl is looking down on you each and everyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dogluver

I have ben following this thread and find the whole thing terrible. We do put our trust in vets and there doesn't seem any legal ground you can count on when things go wrong. Baring in mind that the legal side would be very costly the only other option I would take is social media. Twitter, facebook and the local newspapers. That's how most news stories are broke these days. And the newspapers do enjoy scandals, especially when it comes to animals. It wont bring your dog back and no names have to be mentioned. But those vets responsible will know who they are and the name will be found out through other avenues. Retribution and revenge it might be, but he has gotten away with negligence and incompetence and that needs to be punished before other dog owners have to suffer this too.

Advertisement