Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalling Windows 7

Options
  • 04-06-2013 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one, all my Network Adapters have stopped working. I'm looking at doing a reinstall of windows but just want to know will my Office 2010 and Outlook 2010 product keys work on that laptop again once I reinstall them on it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Have you tried updating your drivers or a system restore . Reinstalling seems a bit drastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

As the last person said, a reinstall is a bit drastic. If your network adapters stopped working after a driver update or something, try rolling back the drivers from device manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

I tried a system restore the other night but didn't work.
    Today I tried rolling back the drivers on the advice given here but the Roll Back Drivers button wasn't active.

I've seen this before but I can't remember how I sorted it. Maybe try sfc /scannow as a start.

Seanieke wrote: »
    I tried a system restore the other night but didn't work.
    Today I tried rolling back the drivers on the advice given here but the Roll Back Drivers button wasn't active.

That sounds very strange, can you let us know what exactly happened regarding your network adapters or whether you installed something to cause them to stop working? Network adapters shouldnt just stop unless they are either faulty, or have been uninstalled or their drivers have been corrupted in some way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

will my Office 2010 and Outlook 2010 product keys work on that laptop again once I reinstall them on it?

Yes

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Can I ask a closely related question? How do I actually do a Windows 7 reinstall?

I'm having a few funny problems - cannot do system restore, task manager appears in a limited form only (can see task list, but not user/network list), and system hangs for a few minutes every time I reboot, before user menu appears - so I reckon a reinstall is called for. I created a system image USB when I got the Dell laptop, and I have all my data and documents saved on a portable hard drive.

What do I actually do to kick off a Windows 7 reinstall from the USB stick? Do I need to delete my own data first, to clean down the disk?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    That sounds very strange, can you let us know what exactly happened regarding your network adapters or whether you installed something to cause them to stop working? Network adapters shouldnt just stop unless they are either faulty, or have been uninstalled or their drivers have been corrupted in some way.

When I go into Device Manager under Network Adaptors every device has a yellow astrix beside it. The only thing that has been done to the laptop in the last 2 weeks is a Windows Update

When I go into Device Manager under Network Adaptors every device has a yellow astrix beside it. The only thing that has been done to the laptop in the last 2 weeks is a Windows Update

Run a full virus scan, and when in Device Manager, right click on the device in question and try updating the drivers. A yellow exclamation mark generally means no device drivers found.

Advertisement