Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballinasloe streets

Options
  • 04-06-2013 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some information regarding a street in Ballinasloe. The 1911 Census has a street named "Horan's Lane". However, I can't seem to find this street/lane on maps of the town.

I was wondering if anybody knew where this lane was/is and if it has been renamed/paved over.

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭travis1976

Hi Clauric, Ballinasloe has many lanes and side streets that are named and unnamed, I think I know where horans lane is. I'll have a look and get back to you, maybe this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭travis1976

Hi again Clauric, apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I have links to old town maps or I can email them to you, But I couldn't find Horans lane on any of them, nor did anybody I talked to in town know of it. Register on the Ballinasloe.com site and use the forums. http://www.ballinasloe.com/forum/index.php/topic,3377.msg28695.html#msg28695
    That's the link for the maps, so maybe some of the ladies and gents on there might be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Horans Lane was also known as Hobsons Lane if memory serves me.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Horans Lane was also known as Hobsons Lane if memory serves me.

Thanks. How sure of this are you?

Clauric wrote: »
    Thanks. How sure of this are you?

Reasonably....:P:D
    I've heard the 2 names used often interchangeably about the same lane.
    Also, if you look at this list, it shows name changes for several areas, streets and townlands in different census times.
    http://www.bmdnotices.com/ElectoralArea/Townlands.aspx?ReferenceId=1460&CountryId=1&CountyId=11

If you scroll down you'll see that it was Hobsons Lane in 1901 and Horans Lane in 1911.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

Thank you for the information. Hopefully this will help in finding more relatives

What is the names of your relatives?
    I'll do a bit rooting around here and see what turns up if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gerrywrd66

HORANS LANE IS BEHIND BANNERTONS GARAGE, OWNED BY SIR RICHARD HORAN FATHER IN LAW TO DR BRAISWATE

Advertisement