Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Flour Wraps?

Options
  • 04-06-2013 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere you can buy soft, floury tortilla wraps that you find in the likes of burrito bars etc? I find most of the supermarket variations to be quite firm and unpliable - though this is helped somewhat by a spate in the oven, they're still not great. I would like something a bit more doughy, if that makes sense. Some brands are also more prone to tearing than others (not helped by supersized fillings :o). Any recommendations?

Alternatively, anyone have a tried and tested recipe for making good wraps at home? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

On a related note, in my search for wrap-related threads I came across this; pictures made me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

I think you're looking for 'fresh' wraps, I believe the regular popular brand ones in the supermarkets can be one to two months old, (they keep though), hence the firm feel from what we deem to be normal wraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

That was my suspicion. Are these fresh wraps available for purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

If you PM me your details I can give you some info, not sure if I can mention names here on the forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Aldi Mediterranean wraps are great - I like the wholemeal ones. They're not tortillas - more like something between a pita and a tortilla but nicer than either. Don't keep nearly as long as the supermarket tortillas either. Freeze well too. I just warm them in a dry frying pan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you PM me your details I can give you some info, not sure if I can mention names here on the forum ;)

Sure you can. Share the love!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I just wet them, run my hand under a tap and sprinkle over the wrap and rub it in, then leave for a few mins. They don't tear as easy. I also wet hot dog rolls. I would heat both afterwards a little. If they are moist they do far better in a microwave.

They can be steamed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Saburritos use the 'Discovery' brand (saw them taking them out of the wrapper the other day)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

+1 Aldi Mediterranean wraps wholemeal are lovely ...... That's if you can get them in my local shop, there always sold out and the white are left, so buy two/three packs when there in store and very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

+2 for the Aldi wraps. I have them most days for lunch and I get as much filling in as possible. I stick them in the microwave for a few seconds and they're nice and stretchy and easy to get around loads of filling without tearing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Saburritos use the 'Discovery' brand (saw them taking them out of the wrapper the other day)

As do Boojum

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Advertisement