Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

towing jeep

Options
  • 04-06-2013 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hi guys, looking for advice on a jeep, iv got a single box and a 14'2 pony, what would be the smallest size jeep i could get away with? any suggestions of any to either recommend or steer clear of?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

neevz wrote: »
    hi guys, looking for advice on a jeep, iv got a single box and a 14'2 pony, what would be the smallest size jeep i could get away with? any suggestions of any to either recommend or steer clear of?

thanks in advance!

I tow two 14'2 ponies in a Iffor Williams HB505 with my Land Rover Freelander TD4 (2L Diesel). Go for a 4 wheel drive, as somebody once said, a 2 wheel drive will get you out of most fields, but a 4x4 will get you out of all fields (or at least almost all).

I'd suggest sticking to diesel engines and go for 2L. If looking at Freelanders, make sure it has the BMW engine. No matter what brand you buy (Land Rover, Nissan etc) I'd highly recommend buying from a dealer (preferably SIMI) that way you get a warranty & have come back, which you don't get buying privately.

I wouldn't go too small, the single boxes are light, which while it makes them lighter to tow, it can make them a little less stable on the road, so you need some weight in the car. Also check the unladen weight of your horsebox and then add weight of your pony (depending on build it could be 400-450kg). The compare this to towing capacity of the car you're looking at, aim to try not exceed about 80% of towing capacity of car.

Also remember, to tow, you need to ensure you have the right classes on your driving licence (E and E+B as far as I recall).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I use a Nissan Xtrail to tow 2 x 128cm ponies and never had any bother with it. Use is as an everyday transport and its not too hard on diesel if you drive it right. (Average 35mpg)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

neevz wrote: »

thanks in advance!

Are you looking for a passenger jeep or a commercial ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MOIJ

I bought a Mitzbushi Outlander recently. I specified it must be able to tow 510 ivor Williams and horse and pony. Have had 4 scares when both loaded with shunting on downhills and box wobbling. Jeep only less than 2 months old, will I get a refund as I had specifically asked for it to be able to pull safely and within legal limits ect which was verified by mitz Ireland to me on the phone that it was perfect for same?? What will I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

MOIJ wrote: »
    I bought a Mitzbushi Outlander recently. I specified it must be able to tow 510 ivor Williams and horse and pony. Have had 4 scares when both loaded with shunting on downhills and box wobbling. Jeep only less than 2 months old, will I get a refund as I had specifically asked for it to be able to pull safely and within legal limits ect which was verified by mitz Ireland to me on the phone that it was perfect for same?? What will I do.

I can't see you getting a refund, aside from anything else it sounds like you've nothing in writing. Did you supply details of weight of box & horse and pony?

Have you had the horse box checked? Are the brakes on the box operating correctly?

You haven't mentioned which model outlander, but you should find the towing capacity in the owner's guide, you need to check this against the fully laden weight of the box.

Before even trying to get anywhere with Mitsubishi I reckon you need to have all your fact straight, including being 100% sure the horse box is sound and checking weights Vs towing capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Not trying to be harsh, but are you sure it's not you? If the trailer is fully functioning (brakes etc) and the jeep likewise, then you have to make sure you're driving safely and correctly. You have to remember that when you are braking going downhill, you have the force of the loaded box coming behind you as well. There are plenty of useful tips online as to how to tow safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Max towing capacity should be in specs. Id imagine for outlander its 1500 to 2000 kg. Far too low for loaded ifor 510.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭granturismo

I have a 2008, 2l diesel outlander and have towed a ninteen year old 505 with two 14h ponies across the country and locally without any problems - up and down hills, motorways and minor roads.

The max towing weight for the outlander is 2000 Kg.

The only issue I have is the tow bar is at the same level as a car so on a 505 the jockey wheel sits slightly lower than later models and has hit some severe road bumps.

How stable is your box when it is unloaded? Maybe it needs some maintenance.

How heavy is your accelerator foot when going downhill?

Advertisement