Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish primary school teachers: how many lessons a week you have? And how many hours o

• 04-06-2013 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi, my friend is doing a research how the teaching hours and lessons that teachers have over the world. Anyone can share a bit of information here?

Million thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Primary teachers tend to only teach one group of students. In secondary school, teachers will tend to concentrate on a few subjects and move between groups of students.

For age 4-6 it tends to be about 20 hours per week for 183 days per year.

For age 7-12 it tends to be about 22.5 hours per week.

There tends to be some extra-curricular activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

booksale wrote: »
    Hi, my friend is doing a research how the teaching hours and lessons that teachers have over the world. Anyone can share a bit of information here?

Million thanks.

Booksale, is your friend including children's lunch breaks etc., given that teachers are still supervising and working during this time? Or is it purely the time spent on the curriculum?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Our school opens at 9.20 and closes t 3 pm. We have a compulsory extra hour per week, not counting extra curricular which this past week meant 4 teachers were away with two classes over 3 night, 2 teachers with another group overnight too,3 teachers were at football blitzes from 3-5.30 today and 3 more will be at another blitz tomorrow for the same length of time.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/education-science/194760-irish-teachers-spend-more-time-classroom-teaching-than-teachers-virtually-every-other-eu-state-14.html

Have a look at ncca.ie to see time allocations for subjectsetc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Booksale, is your friend including children's lunch breaks etc., given that teachers are still supervising and working during this time? Or is it purely the time spent on the curriculum?

The primary school day is 5hrs and 40 mins including 40 mins of recreation/breaks which teachers supervise and 20 mins of gathering/assembly time in the mornings. At infant level- the first two years, this is reduced by an hour to 4hrs 40 mins. 183 days a year. Teacher's staff planning, meetings and preparation are done outside of these hours

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mat cauthon

What a silly question!!
    Primary teachers "teach" as long as the children are in school!!
    I hope they do anyway, I often have my doubts!
    they seem far to relaxed about being in class, and handing kids over to coaches etc, from my point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What a silly question!!
    Primary teachers "teach" as long as the children are in school!!
    I hope they do anyway, I often have my doubts!
    they seem far to relaxed about being in class, and handing kids over to coaches etc, from my point of view.

"..they seem far toO relaxed about being in class" - not even sure what that means. Should teachers be nervous or something :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mat, you see to be in the mood for trolling. Leave it out, please.

Advertisement