Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog DNA test!

• 04-06-2013 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

LOL :D
    With knowledge of a dog’s breed mix, you can work together with your veterinarian to develop a more targeted care plan for your dog and feel confident you are providing your dog with the best care possible. The report gives you the power to target behavior training, Plan exercise and play activities, customise diet and nutrition and address potential health issues. Test kits are designed for dogs of all ages and are safe & easy to use at any stage in a dog's development

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/dog_dna_test_kit/352641

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »

I know somebody who would love this! She has a mutt of various different breeds and it's so hard to say what might be in there. He's part terrier, (small/medium body, acts quite terrier like), maybe part collie, (coat is very collie like, except the tail) maybe some GSD (that's what his face & ears looks like) - honestly nobody has ever been able to put any breed forward that might be definitely in there. I must show her :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd love to try one for the laugh, but I'd want to hear a report from someone who had a crossbreed with known parentage so that I could be sure of accuracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

They don't work with any accuracy at all. The only reliable DNA test for a dog is to see if they are related to another dog, which is done sometimes in litters that have more than one sire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I haven't read of DNA test before for that reason, but you can get your dog's DNA tested so you have a record of it, in case of dispute if your dog is stolen (and then recovered). Apparently microchips can be removed which I wasn't aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

mel.b wrote: »
    I haven't read of DNA test before for that reason, but you can get your dog's DNA tested so you have a record of it, in case of dispute if your dog is stolen (and then recovered). Apparently microchips can be removed which I wasn't aware of.

i can actually feel the microchips in 3 of mine so i would say yes you are right there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

i know i'm crazy, but my dog is such a mixture of everything, i looked into these over a year ago. my fella is very much made up of terriers and from what i can remember terrier was the one breed they couldnt determine from it.
    if anyone tries it please let me know if its changed, i'd love to know what he's made up of :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

I got my dog DNA tested with dnamydog.com and results were very good! I was initially shocked at her make up but on reading the breed profiles of her mix it was like reading her own personal profile! From a behaviour point of view it was really insightful into why she may have tendencies towards certain behaviours. Am delighted I got it done! Based on her looks I has thought she was a mix of a staffy and a whippet but the personality and characteristics never fit quite right. Found out from DNA she is predominantly a boxer with a bit of ridgeback and it all clicked into place!

Advertisement