Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really anxious dog

• 04-06-2013 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody.

I've an eight year old male rough collie. I have since he was 9 months and even though I live at home with the family, he was always 'my' dog.

He was always quite vocal and highly strung (as I understand rough collies can be!), but lately he's very anxious and barking all the time.

I had a spot of poor health in the last few years and was home all the time and I think he took it on himself to 'mind' me. If someone comes into the house, he'll lie between me and them aswel as deafening them when they first come! If I'm messing outside with the football and the lads, he'll get very vocal again and will try to wriggle in between me and whoever is tackling me. He wants nobody touching me at any cost although he has never bit or snapped.

Now that I've started to go back to work and leave the house more often in general, he's even worse. Will bark a real high pitched anxious bark when I leave and waits outside all day, even though he wouldn't usually be outside.

Basically he's driving everyone mad with the barking and I was wondering is the anything we can do to stop it or alleviate the anxiety regarding me or is he just too far gone? Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I have a very timid/anxious collie too.

I have no advice for you really, since hes 9 years old, except to maybe suggest a calmer for him? Nutriscience do a calmer for dogs called Nutri-Kalm, which you can get at your vet (not prescription, and Ive seen it in dog stores, or my local Tesco had it at one stage) or you can check nutriscience.net for suppliers in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

aonb wrote: »
    I have a very timid/anxious collie too.

I have no advice for you really, since hes 9 years old, except to maybe suggest a calmer for him? Nutriscience do a calmer for dogs called Nutri-Kalm, which you can get at your vet (not prescription, and Ive seen it in dog stores, or my local Tesco had it at one stage) or you can check nutriscience.net for suppliers in your area.

Thanks I must look into that. I know he means well but he'll give himself high blood pressure or something!

Advertisement