Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isle of Man Marathon

Options
  • 02-06-2013 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

This is a bit of a stab in the dark but has anyone here done the Isle of Man marathon? If so can you please tell me how you found it. I've done a quick search here and didn't find too much.

Looking at the course it's two loops with a hill at both miles 4 & 17 apart from that its pretty flat. What really attracts me to the race is its timing early August.

Apparently it's a very friendly race with a fantastic buffet at the end, but doubt I'd be able to eat much of it after 26 miles.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

This is a bit of a stab in the dark but has anyone here done the Isle of Man marathon? If so can you please tell me how you found it. I've done a quick search here and didn't find too much.

Looking at the course it's two loops with a hill at both miles 4 & 17 apart from that its pretty flat. What really attracts me to the race is its timing early August.

Apparently it's a very friendly race with a fantastic buffet at the end, but doubt I'd be able to eat much of it after 26 miles.

No one have any info about this race?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

You can get some info, including reviews here:

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=1296080810

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I've done it 3 times, didn't do it last year as they changed the date (coz of the Olympics I think)

It's a small enough marathon field and there also is a half marathon.

Roads aren't closed and the traffic fairly whizz's by on certain sections.

Water in cups, don't rememember any gels or isotonic drinks.

It was very warm every time I ran it.

A bus takes you to and from Douglas to Ramsey (the start/finish)

The race seems to attract a lot of runners from the UK 100 marathon club (so it must have its positives)

The sceanery is ok, I was expecting it to be better TBH.

The tee shirt used to be cotton but the last time I did it they had a technical one.

You can fly from Dublin, only takes 20 mins!

Not much support on the route (never bothers me but some people like it)

It's two laps and there is one reasonably steep and fairly long hill, not too bad the first time but a bit of a ball breaker the second time around, plenty of people walk it. I would say the course is undulating rather than flat, deffo not a PB course in my opinion.

Chipped timing and you are given a little chit with your time on it as you cross the line.

Finishes in the local football (small) stadium.

Pretty chilled out atmosphere, with a nice bit of banter between the runners and the spread at the end is pretty good (you won't go hungry!)

If memory serves me right it was pretty cheap to enter.

In summary, I've do it a few times and enjoyed it without being blown away by it.

If you have a particular question, shoot, and I'll try and answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

It's two laps and there is one reasonably steep and fairly long hill, not too bad the first time but a bit of a ball breaker the second time around, plenty of people walk it. I would say the course is undulating rather than flat, deffo not a PB course in my opinion.

Thanks for the detailed reply, that will be helpful for others who might consider doing the race too.

I'm about to sign up for the Dublin marathon and was hoping to squeeze this in too but hearing about the course and thats its really not a PB course I think I'll skip it although I didnt want to see the Isle of Man.Will save that for a weekend break!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭tiegan

Apologies in advance for my ignorance, but what is a PB course? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

a course where you could get your Personal Best time.
    normally would be on courses that are flat enough

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭tiegan

Many thanks @Event - as a novice I am a while away from worrying about a "PB" - but good to know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Is it just Aerlingus that flys to the Isle of Man?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

From Dublin Aer Lingus Regional

TbL

Advertisement