Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have any/many of you done more then 1 masters?

Options
  • 04-06-2013 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

I am an archaeology graduate at the moment, and very passionate about my thesis topic, however I know in my heart that there is another area which I are more excited by. After finishing my undergrad I immediately started sniffing out relevant courses in England but when crunch time came it just wasnt affordable and I entered the MA program in UCD where I had completed my undergrad. Due to the nature of the area I'm interested in though, theres really no way to get the necessary skills, or indeed a foot into that area at all, without first having an Msc in it. I was wondering then if any on here might have any advice about taking on another masters. Is it exhausting? or, more importantly, unnecessary? Would it make more sense to go for a PhD instead?

The area is bioarchaeology (biological anthropology) if any here have a background in that.

I know I want to get a background in this area somehow but I really need peoples advice on whether I would be biting off more then I can chew by going this route.

Cheers all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Where can you do a PhD in that? I've never heard of it. Just curious, I'm afraid I can't really help. Funding wise for PhDs you are a bit late this year, unless a potential supervisor has money themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Where can you do a PhD in that? I've never heard of it. Just curious, I'm afraid I can't really help. Funding wise for PhDs you are a bit late this year, unless a potential supervisor has money themselves.

Oh god no i couldnt do it this year anyway, still in an MA thesis at present! :D

In Ireland you could do a PhD in it in Queens or Cork, with UCD an option as of this year but options become more limited when talking about masters programs. England really is the place for it at the Msc level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

UCD offers PhDs in biological/forensic anthropological topics. Also MScs (by research). I have contact details if you are interested, although I have to stress that funding would have to be sought by the student him/herself. UCD always had a physical/anthropology Masters part in their anatomy option. It has, despite the lack of public info, a long-established physical anthropology and since 2005 also forensic anthropology, research history within human anatomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Preusse wrote: »
    UCD offers PhDs in biological/forensic anthropological topics. Also MScs (by research). I have contact details if you are interested, although I have to stress that funding would have to be sought by the student him/herself. UCD always had a physical/anthropology Masters part in their anatomy option. It has, despite the lack of public info, a long-established physical anthropology and since 2005 also forensic anthropology, research history within human anatomy.

Apologeis Preusse, that was badly worded on my part. UCD does of course have a strong faculty in this area. When I meant by recent options was that the UCD School of Archaeology are now in a position to take on candidates in this area.

Although now that you mention it I should actually look into the school of anatomy in UCD, Ive done electives with them, I'm not sure why it slipped my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Yes, I know that archaeology in UCD has established their own physical/biological anthro Master programme. Anatomy is collaborating with them on aspects of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

dr gonzo wrote: »
    I am an archaeology graduate at the moment, and very passionate about my thesis topic, however I know in my heart that there is another area which I are more excited by. After finishing my undergrad I immediately started sniffing out relevant courses in England but when crunch time came it just wasnt affordable and I entered the MA program in UCD where I had completed my undergrad. Due to the nature of the area I'm interested in though, theres really no way to get the necessary skills, or indeed a foot into that area at all, without first having an Msc in it. I was wondering then if any on here might have any advice about taking on another masters. Is it exhausting? or, more importantly, unnecessary? Would it make more sense to go for a PhD instead?

The area is bioarchaeology (biological anthropology) if any here have a background in that.

I know I want to get a background in this area somehow but I really need peoples advice on whether I would be biting off more then I can chew by going this route.

Cheers all!

My personal experience is limited on the subject but I know a lot of bioarchaeology people so here are my two cents. Masters/PhD both are really just pieces of paper and in themselves are not so useful. What is useful is using them to get skills and involvement in exciting projects. The value of a skill/project involvement is so variable there is no way to generalise whether a PhD or another masters is better. In archaeology I think academics can be slow to dole out projects but some do for masters students and PhDs. The questions is how valuable skill and project wise either programme is. Also the reason for wanting them (academic career, personal interest etc).

Advertisement