Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooked Ham/Turkey (Not Cooked possibly)

Options
  • 04-06-2013 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

(with apologies in advance to the squeamish) : )

I was wondering has anyone ever bought either cooked ham or turkey in sealed supermarket packets which have turned out to be undercooked?

I bought some cooked turkey a while back, made some sandwiches got bad stomach upset. I then inspected the turkey meat which appeared to be very raw in most of the packet.

Same thing happened again recently with "cooked" ham.

Again the meat seemed soggy, and appeared very raw in a large section of the meat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No, I've never purchased meat products that turned out to be under-cooked.

Did you make a complaint to the Food Safety Authority & the manufacturer/distributor?

What did they have to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I didnt HB and I regret not doing so.

Have you heard of this happening before? That is, uncooked meat in supermarket packages?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never had this happen to me either - or even heard of it happening. And I've been shopping for my family for a very long time.

I've never had this happen to me either - or even heard of it happening. And I've been shopping for my family for a very long time.

Same as that Dizzy B.

The turkey was bought from a smaller, independent retailer produced in Ireland, but I could swear that the turkey was raw. It was all gloopy and horrible.

The ham had the same raw appearance, uncooked colour and texture. An import from a larger non Irish supermarket. Same sort of texture as smoked packet salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Never had it nor heard of it. I have had dodgy looking gloopyish cheapo hams though, I didn't for 1 second think it was undercooked, just heavily processed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You could still contact the producers just to let them know. I certainly would - even though you'd have no rights without having the packaging or batch number.
    The Consumer Issues forum probably has advice on this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Kettleson wrote: »
    The ham had the same raw appearance, uncooked colour and texture. An import from a larger non Irish supermarket. Same sort of texture as smoked packet salmon.

The turkey sounds weird but are you sure you didn't buy "raw" cured ham? I get a lovely cured ham from Lidl - it is uncooked and would have a texture more akin to smoked salmon than cooked ham.

The turkey sounds weird but are you sure you didn't buy "raw" cured ham? I get a lovely cured ham from Lidl - it is uncooked and would have a texture more akin to smoked salmon than cooked ham.

Thanks TBR. Labelled up as "Smoked cooked ham slices".

The texture of the ham definitely varied on this occasion from the normal dry, firm, pale light purple colour, to spongy, wet and reddish. Not nice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thanks TBR. Labelled up as "Smoked cooked ham slices".

The texture of the ham definitely varied on this occasion from the normal dry, firm, pale light purple colour, to spongy, wet and reddish. Not nice at all.

No mistake, there, then. Sounds odd. Cheap cooked meat can often be quite wet due to added water but should never be undercooked but it seems you've had these products before so this is not the case here. Return and complain, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If it was me I would get a suspicious slice and stick it in some boiling water and see if it changes much.

The hams are made from formed meat, they squish together different cuts and cook them, so you can get very different colours & consistencies alongside a section of a totally different makeup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Perhaps the fridge in the shop was not at the correct temperature and that is why it looked wrong and made you sick?
    I doubt it was undercooked as they are generally overprocessed and cooked to a very high temp to make them last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Same as that Dizzy B.

The turkey was bought from a smaller, independent retailer produced in Ireland, but I could swear that the turkey was raw. It was all gloopy and horrible.

what was the supermarket and the product description. all supermarkets have various offerings in cooked ham. some variants can be from reformed meat but some can be from prime cuts. there is also a range of italian meats that are raw.

Advertisement