Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone Problem

Options
  • 04-06-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

Hoping I can get some advice here,

Have an 8 month old phone, Samsung galaxy S2. Recently it has started freezing, not charging and saying it's charging during the day when in my pocket. Because of this the battery isn't even lasting a few hours. Brought it into the phone company on Friday, Meteor, to see what was wrong and if they could do anything. Was told that this was a common problem on this phone and was caused by the charging port oxidising because of moisture. The phone was never dropped or damaged, but they have said there is nothing they can do because it is water damage. Seems like a bit of a get out clause to me, they even said that moisture in a kitchen could cause this. Is there anything I can do or are they right? Would have thought that they would have at least have to offer to repair it. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

He used a little torch, in store, to look into the charging port and said that because it had gone green it was water damage, which I would have no problem with if I had dropped it in water or it got wet but never has.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

joey100 wrote: »
    He used a little torch, in store, to look into the charging port and said that because it had gone green it was water damage, which I would have no problem with if I had dropped it in water or it got wet but never has.

Ever use it outside in the rain, in a room full of steam (bathroom, showerroom, kitchen)?

Very easy for water to get into the charging port area in order to damage the connections

To be honest, I don't use the phone a whole lot at all. Because of the apartment I live in I have to go outside to make calls, so doesn't get used in the kitchen or bathroom and if it's raining I just use my work phone indoors. I could understand the moisture build up too in an old phone but the phone is not even 8 months old.

What would be my best next step? Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

joey100 wrote: »
    Hoping I can get some advice here,

Have an 8 month old phone, Samsung galaxy S2. Recently it has started freezing, not charging and saying it's charging during the day when in my pocket. Because of this the battery isn't even lasting a few hours. Brought it into the phone company on Friday, Meteor, to see what was wrong and if they could do anything. Was told that this was a common problem on this phone and was caused by the charging port oxidising because of moisture. The phone was never dropped or damaged, but they have said there is nothing they can do because it is water damage. Seems like a bit of a get out clause to me, they even said that moisture in a kitchen could cause this. Is there anything I can do or are they right? Would have thought that they would have at least have to offer to repair it. Thanks for your help.

If any repair company decides this is water damaged through normal usage then you have a case for a repair, replacement or refund as the product is not reasonably durable.

Do not send it off yourself as it is not insured for loss or damage in transit etc, Either bring it in to the same phone menders that Meteor use or go back to Meteor and insist on them sending it off and repairing replacing or refunding and if they don't then take them to the small claims court. The court can decide what is reasonably durable and I would think they might agree that having the phone in your kitchen while you boil up the spuds for dinner should not cause any water or other damage!

Thanks for all the help, I didn't realise that there was a meteor forum on here so going to ask in there to see if I can get this sorted. Thanks again.

Advertisement