Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 200

• 04-06-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up to all, the Wicklow 200 is on this weekend so expect loads of cyclists out and about. Here is their route.
    Might need to do this ourselves over the next while
    2013routemap.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

God I hate cyclists....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Just a heads up to all, the Wicklow 200 is on this weekend so expect loads of cyclists out and about. Here is their route.
    2013routemap.jpg

That be a nice route, plenty of choice for stopping along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Zascar wrote: »
    God I hate cyclists....

You know theyre like rodents...you can run over them if no-one's around...............:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

God I hate cyclists....

+1

The arrogance of most of them doing their spins around those parts is just unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    +1

The arrogance of most of them doing their spins around those parts is just unbelievable.

I hope that is sarcasm... :D

Zascar, why do you hate cyclists?

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    2013routemap.jpg

I am doing the Wicklow 200. Thanks for mentioning this...

rat_race wrote: »

Was thinking of doing the 100 but time got away and never put the training in. What kind of time will the 200 take you?

jvan wrote: »
    Was thinking of doing the 100 but time got away and never put the training in. What kind of time will the 200 take you?

Will be happy if I can do it in under 9 hours rolling...Did it two years ago and am more prepared this time, so should be okay.

Yeah, training for it is hard, requires some 5/6 hour spins...helps to have a partner or something so you're kinda forced to keep arrangements!

9 hours, you'll want your padded shorts for that! Lets hope the weather isn't as warm and sunny as today. You'll need a lot of fluids as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

rat_race wrote: »

Saw the route on mapmywalk, some steep climbs ahead of you! Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cycling two abreast on small roads not letting cars pass. Drives me nuts. The amount of times I've been backed up for miles as they simply refuse to budge. No reason why they can't tuck in single file the odd time and let the cars pass. Whenever I see I bike I am extra careful as cars seems to do stupid things to try to pass them. Don't get me wrong it's not all cyclists - I've done plenty of cycling and mountain biking in my time, about to buy a new pushbike actually - but personally no matter what vehicle I'm on I try to be courteous to other road users. A lot of them don't seem to give a **** and happy to let huge tailbacks form behind them as they take over most of the road.

Cycling two abreast (only 2) on small roads not letting cars pass. Drives me nuts. The amount of times I've been backed up for miles as they simply refuse to budge. No reason why they can't tuck in single file the odd time and let the cars pass.(that would be giving in ) Whenever I see I bike I am extra careful as cars seems to do stupid things to try to pass them. Don't get me wrong it's not all cyclists (it really is) - I've done plenty of cycling and mountain biking in my time, about to buy a new pushbike actually - but personally no matter what vehicle I'm on I try to be courteous to other road users. A lot of them don't seem to give a **** and happy to let huge tailbacks form behind them as they take over most of the road.(that'll be the lycra brigade)[/QUOTE]

When they start obeying the rules of the road and pay road tax, then i'll accept them...otherwise i'll carry on hating them..(unless i get a bike..!!!!

When they start obeying the rules of the road and pay road tax, then i'll accept them...otherwise i'll carry on hating them..(unless i get a bike..!!!!

All apart the road tax! What is that?

Ah Rosie, look what you've started

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    All apart the road tax! What is that?

mr-pedantic.png

You know what he meant. Are you a lyrcrist cyclist? :D

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Are you a lyrcrist cyclist? :D

Hell NO!

KamiKazi wrote: »
    mr-pedantic.png

You know what he meant. Are you a lyrcrist cyclist? :D

Lycrist......love it....:D:D:D

Was in Laragh a couple of weeks ago, usual sunday morning, lycrists everywhere bothering everyone...guy on a big cruiser came to a stop outside the cafe, cyclist behind him had to stop quickly to avoid a rear entry...didnt have time to get his feet out of the pedals before stopping, and fell over like an old oak...but in kinda slow-motion...funniest thing i've seen in ages...:D....he wasnt hurt btw..

Oh one thing I forgot. Complete disregard for traffic lights. They just seem to sail through red lights as if they are not there - I see it time and time again every day on my commute to work. I've nearly milled a few out of it in my time when they break the light at a junction. Cyclists seem to think they operate on a totally different set of rules of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Females cyclists in lyrca....RULE!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Females cyclists in lyrca....RULE!

Not the ones i've seen............yikes:eek:

• Advertisement

f1472.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Not the ones i've seen............yikes:eek:

Not the ones in the GYM losing the christmas selection boxes....out in the middle of no where giving it socks. They are well tasty fit wimmen! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I go marshalling for bike events every week - twice a week sometimes. I did find at the beginning that there were no rules, basically, but in recent times it has improved.

Yes there's still lots of them out there - when there's say, 60 bikes out together, 2 x 2 isn't going to endear them to anyone either, due to the length of the peleton.

Either way the local club have had to lay down the law lately, as it was only a matter of time before there was an incident or near-miss that would cause an issue. Bear in mind a lot of the roads we use, despite having a white line down the middle (bloody joke) are barely3m - 4m wide - two cars can barely pass on them as-is. So, for race events now, cross that white line and you're disqualified.

They thought the club weren't serious. Signs by, first eve out under the new rules, the local favourite does it and him and his compadre were disqualified straight away - can't say they weren't told. They won't make that mistake again..............

On a related note, I found that attending cars and my bike, driving around with our hazards on, only confused people, really. So, my bike is modded with proper ER LED's front and rear, and as you can see, written up with signage as well.

Kudos to all the other road users who accomodate us btw, at the end of the day a bike race will be gone past a particular point in seconds.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Heres a qustion for you.

What happens if theres a crash between a car and a bike whos in a race or cycling 2 abreast on the road?

Who would be deemed to be at fault?

f1472.jpg

You will see plenty of that today and tomorrow if you go down onto the cycle path from Clontarf all the way out to Sutton Strand.

22 degreec,hot sunny weather and not many clothes on aswell....:pac::D

There are jerks everywhere on the road, doesn't matter what they are driving/riding/cycling.

There are as many misbehaving bikers/motorists on the road as there are cyclists, with much more potential to cause havoc.

I drive cars, motorbikes and I also cycle a sh!t load, I've seen it all a bazillion times. I'd recommend any road user to try cycling, motorbiking, cars, etc. It makes you a much better road user in general. Generalising a particular group is just empty-headed, IMO.

When I'm cycling, I can usually tell from the way a car approaches and overtakes me, whether the driver is a cyclist or not, or whether they've even been on a bike in the last 15 years -- seriously. Those who haven't been on a bicycle, are dangerous, inconsiderate and totally detached from what's going on outside their cage (wind, rain, poor roads, obstacles, loose gravel chippings, noise, etc...).

I'd rather see nobody on the roads, ever, except me. Failing that, I'd rather more bicycles than motorbikes, and I'd rather more motorbikes than cars. Giving out about cyclists as a whole is just retarded unless you'd rather they all drove their cars -- which is equally retarded.

I dont see many cars who decide to just drive off through a red light.

Same with motorbikes,vans,trucks and buses.

They stay stopped at the red light,when its red.

So why does a cyclist think its ok,to just start up cycling again and purposely go through a red light???

Do red lights not apply to cyclists too??

Surey the rules of the road apply to cyclists too??

paddy147 wrote: »
    I dont see many cars who decide to just drive off through a red light.

Same with motorbikes,vans,trucks and buses.

They stay stopped at the red light,when its red.

So why does a cyclist think its ok,to just start up cycling again and purposely go through a red light???

Do red lights not apply to cyclists too??

Surey the rules of the road apply to cyclists too??

If that's a response to me, then you're totally missing the point. ;) Not getting into it, some people are logical, some are not. All I will say is that there are more rules of the road than "thou shalt not break a red light".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

paddy147 wrote: »
    Heres a qustion for you.

What happens if theres a crash between a car and a bike whos in a race or cycling 2 abreast on the road?

Who would be deemed to be at fault?

In a race scenario, depends entirely on the what happened. If the cyclists was on the other side of the road, then fault will lay partially with the cyclist and particularly with the car. The cyclists obviously should have been on the correct side, but the car should have been aware of approaching situation (lead car, other cyclists etc) and taken appropriate action to try to minimise the chance of an accident.

In the two abreast scenario, well that is entirely the drivers fault (assuming that 2 abreast on the correct side and all other rules complied with) as the rles as the road clearly state that two abreast is legal

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    In a race scenario, depends entirely on the what happened. If the cyclists was on the other side of the road, then fault will lay partially with the cyclist and particularly with the car. The cyclists obviously should have been on the correct side, but the car should have been aware of approaching situation (lead car, other cyclists etc) and taken appropriate action to try to minimise the chance of an accident.

In the two abreast scenario, well that is entirely the drivers fault (assuming that 2 abreast on the correct side and all other rules complied with) as the rles as the road clearly state that two abreast is legal

Yes. A car should not overtake a cyclist, or group of cyclists, unless it is safe to do so and without crossing a continuous white line. It's that simple.

And "safe" means a number of things, which a lot of motorists seem to forget once they've passed their test.

Just because a car can go faster than a bicycle, that doesn't give it the right to do so if it puts anyone at risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement