Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Gates - Nothing but trouble?

Options
  • 04-06-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,

I had electric gates installed about 4 years ago from a reputable supplier in Cork. Since then, I have had nothing but trouble. I have had at least 8 service calls and have to make my ninth today. In that space of time the following work has been done,

Front Photo eyes replaced
    Ariel Replaced
    Ariel cover replaced (in a different service call)
    Rear photo eyes replaced
    Intercom unit replaced
    Wireless zapper things reset

And yesterday the latest issue, one of the motors has stopped, and I am hoping it is not burnt out!

I am considering forgetting about them at this stage and treat it as an expensive lesson and go back to manual opening and closing.

What do people think? Is this unusual? When I look at the size of the control box by the pier (It must be about 50 x 50 cm x 30cm in size) I wonder was I sold really old kit. Surely a control box does not have to be that size.

I don't want to throw good money after bad. Any advise or recommendations for good (independent) person who can have a look at it. I am Cork, near the city.

Cheers

Mark

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Quality equipment properly installed is extremely reliable and requires minimal maintenance.

Perhaps you you post some pictures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 markhayes

2011 wrote: »
    Quality equipment properly installed is extremely reliable and requires minimal maintenance.

Here are some pics. External the work is clean, but perhaps you think otherwise. I can get the makes and models if you are interested.

Image 20130604_200215.jpg shows the current locked position of the motor. You can see it is aprox half way open and can't be moved in either direction.

2011 wrote: »

One more image.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

it's the worst system which i ever see and unfortunately fit too, probably encoder in the motor is gone and you need new motor, if you open this white box you see on the board four micro push switch (small black pin), approximately on the middle of the board, little over the green connector on the bottom, one is open for first motor, second close for first motor, third open for second motor and fourth close for the second motor, press it and hold and see that gate moves, if yes tray open then close, if is ok try with second motor, if gate shake and stuck then you know which motor is gone.

My suggestion, replace that system for something good like FAAC, BFT etc. Don't waste any more many for ERREKA, it's only trouble !

it's page of manufactured of this s... system: http://www.erreka.com/index.aspx?language=2

Hi

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I open the box and found the push switches. Two open and close the good gate. The other two start to open and close the bad gate, but the arm moves a tiny bit and then cuts out. There is a noise from the circuit board immediately after pressing the botton, so the sequence is
    1) Press button
    2) motor arms moves a tiny bit
    3) noise (like something getting cut out/tripped) and the gate arms stops.

By pressing it about 20 times, I managed to close the arm from it's half open position. Something is making the circuit board trip and out the motor. Any ideas? I attach a couple of more photos. I have a video of the noise which I can post somewhere if you want.

Where are you based btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

It's mean that encoder in motor is not working and board switch off the motor from safety reason, only option is replace faulty motor, or send back to Spain faulty motor to replace encoder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 supersparky

I have been installing gate systems for over ten years now and it is my main source of income. I can vouch for the erreka brand as I have installed a few of them without any bother. I have also installed faac, bft and DEA systems. Installation and correct programming are the only essentials with these systems. There are probably 15 very good brands out there and if installed properly you wont have an issue. If stranded aluminium alarm cable was used in your installation it could very well be your problem. It would explain all of the external accessories failing. Outdoor cat 5 or poly poly are the only cables to use. A lot of installers were using stranded alarm cable for years, myself included. Thankfully I only used it on a few installations. I discovered that with the strands of aluminum in the alarm cable being so fine, as soon as it oxidises from any moisture, it literally turns to dust. Im sure your installer did a good job but if this was the cable used, it would have been hard to forsee this outcome. You will know it is alarm cable if the outer sheath is white. Hope this helps. People going on saying this brand is **** or that brand is **** honestly have no clue what they are talking about. I know this brand and it has never let me down as an installer..

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

That told 'em.

Shame you're four years too late....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

It may very well help someone else tho. Who knows he might drive a delorean...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Die zombie thread, die!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement