Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxfam Laptops, ok?

Options
  • 04-06-2013 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi considering purchasing a laptop for an elderly parent,who hasn't much idea as to how to use a computer. So something basic would do. I'm just wondering whether those Oxfam, second-hand models are ok? here's a link.
    http://www.oxfamireland.org/computers/laptop-surfer

Appreciate feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

On spec alone, you'd be better off buying a second hand laptop off eBay or a half-decent Android tablet for that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Those Oxfam things are just too slow

New laptops aren't that pricey

www.saveonlaptops.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Might be better with a Netbook

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

uch wrote: »
    Might be better with a Netbook

Perhaps not - elderly parent - small keyboard keys plus I doubt if portability is a key requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Elderly parents use phones with smaller keys so why would Netbook keys be a problem ?

coylemj wrote: »
    Perhaps not - elderly parent - small keyboard keys plus I doubt if portability is a key requirement.

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

uch wrote: »
    Elderly parents use phones with smaller keys so why would Netbook keys be a problem ?

How do you know the OP's elderly parent uses a mobile phone? The fact that he felt it relevant to point out that they are elderly and that he or she 'hasn't much idea as to how to use a computer' suggests to me that a keyboard with full size keys would be preferable. That's my view of course but you're welcome to yours.

Even if the parent uses a mobile phone, chances are that they don't do texting so probably never have to type data.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Freiheit wrote: »
    I'm just wondering whether those Oxfam, second-hand models are ok?

They are ok. Not great value for money, but they do come with a warranty. Don't go for the cheapest models though (with only 1GB RAM)

Oh. And bitte schön, Freiheit :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Gleichfalls Unkel:pac:

She's a lady who doesn't like big photo albums, calls them a bit heavy, took a look in Oxfam and they all seem quite big, tbh I prefer smaller one's too.

So does text and is reasonable competent, I stress reasonably, on a picture (not i-phone). So that leaves me with a choice of a netbook, could get one for about E300 in pc world, or I'm thinking maybe a 'touch-screen', although I've not used one myself and they would probably cost more? are they easy to use? just touch an icon and access it rather than fiddling with an arrow?.

Danke alle:)

Advertisement