Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wee, Weeds and Worms.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i made the mistake of buying a compost bin which is too tall for me to 'irrigate'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

That's what plastic milk bottles are for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

redser7 wrote: »
    'tea'?

Hey, that wasn't a lemon snowcone... :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 oddsandends

I was at Bloom in Phoenix park this year and spoke with a company from Tipperary who had a french fertiliser - one was a compost activator (100% organic) turns waste into compost in 4 months - And it works!! I found that out for myself after using it - no smells and no flies around my compost bin :-)
    The other product was an almost organic fertiliser - it can be used on everything that grows in soil - there are no side effects of using these products and i have found them brilliant.
    I did a little research and found a link on their website;
    http://www.spillanesandandgravel.ie/garden-fertiliser.php

No need to wee in your garden anymore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Chicken manure is another accelerator. Also you can speed up compost a lot by turning it (fork it into another neighbouring bin) and keeping it warm (in a sunny spot)
    I saw one of these on display once, it was very well built but very expensive. Fully insulated, so it traps and builds up its own heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 chocvine11

use the sea weed as is don't need to wash in fresh water you might be washing nutriants away I use a winter layer of about 4inches and late the worms pull it down through the soil the birds also love feeding on worms. Use a 'Pig ' composter they are METTLE rotating composter lined with a kind of areo bord. there are too compartments in it use 'cooked food' and add two parts cooked food to one part wood chips rotate 3 times every day ,after 4 weeks put mixture in wormery for an other 4 weeks and use 2parts top soil -1 part 'compost'

• Registered Users Posts: 9 oddsandends

recedite wrote: »
    Chicken manure is another accelerator. Also you can speed up compost a lot by turning it (fork it into another neighbouring bin) and keeping it warm (in a sunny spot)
    I saw one of these on display once, it was very well built but very expensive. Fully insulated, so it traps and builds up its own heat.

Its €425 - that is crazy money for a bit of compost.

Just get a plastic bin like Carbery plastics ones for €55, use compost activator, you don't have to turn it and watch how your peelings transform :-)
    Also Chicken manure is stink and smell lingers for weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 chocvine11

It might seem a bit costly but seven years later I don't think it owes me anything an other point worth remembering I use it for my waste cooked food.
    I use plastic bins for vegetation that has been broken down and a three bay compost heap .made from pallets, I also use tractor tyres placed in useful places in the garden maybe used for growing gourds or other trailing plants. Compost is very important as my garden is very small but with compost growing medium I get a great crop of salads fruit bulbs perianal even though I live in an exposed site I cant have a hedge as the view is to good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The hotbin is what i would use if I could afford it, gets great reviews anywhere I look and costs less than the pig tumbler. Still pretty expensive though - http://www.hotbincomposting.com/

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Meh....
    Hotbin claims;
    "Airtight lid to reduce smells and unwanted visitors...
    Aeration valve plate to moderate temperature
    "
    So which is it? Smell or no smell?

Also, it doesn't turn, so there is no mixing of the compost, unlike the pig.

You could make a similar insulated one by stacking two plastic bins or barrels, one slightly bigger than the other, and injecting a can of spray foam into the gap between them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement