Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting other cats to stay away at night

• 04-06-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

My cat is a timid and lets other cats completely bully her. She has a little kennel that she sleeps in most nights unless the weather is bad and I let her stay in. For the past month I'll wake up and hear her making an awful wailing noise. Every time it is because one of two local cats have come up to pay her a visit. One of the them will even try to get into her kennel. Neither of them seem like they will hurt her but my cat makes such an awful noise that I go out a chase them away.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can scare them enough to stay away? I should just leave my cat to defend herself but her cries are so awful and one of neighbors hates cats so I don't want to be giving her a reason to be going mad about the cat. I think my boyfriend is getting a bit impatient about my jumping out of bed in the middle of the night to shoo a cat away. :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

No idea how to keep them away. I guess you can't really so only option would be to leave your own cat in at night. Only way I can think to ensure she is safe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What Tilly said really; all other options coming to mind (air/water bursters etc.) will work on your cats as well if she would decide to leave early and may scare her away. Only way is for you to let her sleep in or work on her confidence / soncialization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Is there a reason you don't normally let her stay in the house? If there is food around that would attract other cats. I wouldn't dream of leaving my cats to fend for themselves, if I hear any wailing I'm out like a shot chasing the cat off. It's very common for cats to get Feline Immunodefficiency Virus or Feline Luekemia from bites caused by fighting with other cats.

If it's possible I'd just bring her indoors, it's safer and if she's timid she'll be a lot happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

She's not in heat/season is she and those are males coming around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Is your cat neutered? If not that's what could be attracting the other cats around! But I agree with everyone else about keeping the cat indoors.
    My two big cats are outside all day then we let them in around 4-6 o clock and they spend the night in, couldnt imagine leaving them outside at night! We have the utility converted into a cat room, bed, litter tray, food bowls, scratching post and a few toys. We close them in there at bed time as my parents don't like cats in the bedrooms!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lorimc

I leave her out if I can because she wakes up very early and goes mad to be let outside, she will even come into the bedroom and hit me on the nose if I haven't heard her getting up!
    We live in a duplex so her house is on the patio so the only animals that come up the stairs do it because they know she is there. Her bowl is sitting outside but it would have only water at night, maybe I'll just leave a separate water bowl and feed her inside all the time.
    She has been spayed so she shouldn't be in heat. One of the cats is a big pet that lives right beside us, I don't think it would bite her but I'm not so sure where the other one comes from.
    I'll might try to get a water gun or something to shoo them away the next time and see if that frightens them more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think the un-neutered toms are roaming at this time of year looking for females. We adopted a stray tom last week and took him to be neutered, he'd been coming around for a few weeks and we'd been putting food out in the shed for him in case he was hungry and we were out.

The food attracted another un-neutered tom but he looks like he belongs to someone, we'll keep an eye on him anyway to be sure. With them being on heat they wander further than they usually would. Is it possible to install a catflap? We have a microchip one, which is stronger than the usual ones, and they come and go as they please.

My own cats were wanting attention early in the morning so I started playing with them at about 10pm and have them chasing toys and wearing themselves out. Then I feed them and they mostly settle down for a long sleep. Another thing we do is open the living room curtains when it starts to get light. That way they can see whats going on outside and amuse themselves without harassing us. This works really well at weekends:)

Advertisement