Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OOOOOOOOHM!!! how do people feel about chanting in yoga class?

Options
  • 04-06-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm a yoga teacher and practitioner for nearly 15 yrs now and sometimes I will do ohm together at the start of the class, I used to do it all the time and lately I don't at all - just do a guided relaxation, breathing, awareness time...
    But I over-heard some yogis coming from another yoga centre a few days ago talking about how they hate doing ohm at the start of the class. It just got me wondering - I always loved the ohm! I love singing though and the voice in general... but I'm curious to hear how other yoga-doers and teachers feel about chanting in class? I ohm my head off around the house!! and I'll ohm in the studio before teaching as part of my own pre-teaching centring routine...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

not a yoga teacher, but I don't mind doing it in class! At that beginning of class it sort of "prepares" me for what we're going to do, and at the end it's nice to let go as a group and feel like I've achieved something :) Physically using the voice also makes me feel more involved as opposed to just going through the poses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I like oms to start/finish the class and I am happy to join; they are centering, relaxing and allow me to switch mentally to practice time. For many people they are probably just a breathing exercise; they are easy to opt out of if you don't feel like it also!

I am not looking forward to other chanting much though; mostly because chants are usually repeated after the teacher (without knowing the words yourself) and I don't like to get involved in an activity I don't know the meaning of. I am not religious therefore I would like to avoid taking part in prayers, for example. I feel that it's normally fully respected in class, but I did attend a workshop or two where visiting teachers included chants of religious nature (invoking deities), so I did not join in for those. I appreciate cultural Indian/hindu background of course (such as telling the legend of Siva to explain a yoga concept) but I do not wish nor need to worship Siva in class. If a teacher wants to include chanting in class I would recommend being very open about what particular chants are about!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

thanks guys, interesting to hear your point of views :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Depending on the type of students, OM chanting at the start of the class can be ok. But i prefer to include after we have finished meditation, where the practitioners are already in a very 'inward state', and are much more likely to be in tune with the effects and appreciation of the mantra.

I guess if the same question is asked to yoga teachers who mainly teach only asanas...and do not include the other limbs of yoga, then it may feel 'out of place' in those classes.

I personally really enjoy the effects of the chanting and also the reminder of the state of oneness that can be reached in meditation.... OM.... the oneness of all. It can also help nurture appreciation, gratitude and also letting go of the ego.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Hate it and never join in. I'm there for the stretches, not the 'weird' stuff. It's probably the thing I dislike most about yoga. Sorry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement