Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low hours

Options
  • 04-06-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭

hi i work in a company which changes working hours week by week. you can work anything from 4 to 35 hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

what does your contract say? The only minimum amount of hours you are entitled to are those listed on your contract, so the first place to start is to check what is the minimum number of hours specifically stated in your contract. As long as you are getting the minimum in your contract, then there is not a lot you can do. It is unfair and I know some managers almost 'punish' you for taking time off, but unfortunately that is the nature of a lot of shift work - poor hours and even poorer management. If it is really getting to you I would recommend you start looking elsewhere, preferably for somewhere with set shifts or higher minimum hours in the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Little Ted wrote: »
    what does your contract say? The only minimum amount of hours you are entitled to are those listed on your contract, so the first place to start is to check what is the minimum number of hours specifically stated in your contract. As long as you are getting the minimum in your contract, then there is not a lot you can do. It is unfair and I know some managers almost 'punish' you for taking time off, but unfortunately that is the nature of a lot of shift work - poor hours and even poorer management. If it is really getting to you I would recommend you start looking elsewhere, preferably for somewhere with set shifts or higher minimum hours in the contract.

our contract says nothing about min hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

PTH2009 wrote: »
    our contract says nothing about min hours

Then it is not conforming to the law - your basic conditions of service must be set out in a contract, such as hours and place of work, job title, salary/hourly rate etc. I recommend you contact Workplace Relations (formerly NERA).

Advertisement