Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Nursing Results & Offers 2013.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sharon2013

Can anyone tell me what's the next step I need to take in connection with applying for the grant??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gracey30

As far as i know you can apply directly to SUSI.ie and apply online to them ... dey say the sooner the better to apply as der is such a backlog. They have a great website and explain everything in great detail and easy to understand.. also studentfinance.ie is another good one and will tell you what kind of grant you can apply for under your own circumstances .

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Hi guys. I got 622 and have applied for C&G in UCD, DCU, TCD and gen in the same unis and ID in TCD and DCU. C&G in UCD is my first choice but I'd be delighted with any of my choices. It's so stressful not having any idea what way the points are going to go. Roll on 5th of July!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Intel240787

Sharon2013 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what's the next step I need to take in connection with applying for the grant??

Apply online - then wait for SUSI to contact you. Or wait for a few weeks and get in contact with them - I'm due a progress report in the post over next few days as a result of contacting them today. Gawd only knows!

I'm due a progress report in the post over next few days as a result of contacting them today. Gawd only knows!

Did you get a list of documents to send in yet? I applied on the first day and haven't heard anything but I know a few people have and have sent their documents back already!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Intel240787

WildRosie wrote: »
    Did you get a list of documents to send in yet? I applied on the first day and haven't heard anything but I know a few people have and have sent their documents back already!

Not yet for me - I fear that's what I may be getting in the post! Also applied on the first day, hadn't heard a thing until today - then I got in contact just to see how things were progressing, they said I'd receive a progress update in the post, which I believe may be code for "here's the paperwork we want" list.

Get in contact with them perhaps?

Not yet for me - I fear that's what I may be getting in the post! Also applied on the first day, hadn't heard a thing until today - then I got in contact just to see how things were progressing, they said I'd receive a progress update in the post, which I believe may be code for "here's the paperwork we want" list.

Get in contact with them perhaps?

I think I'll leave them be for the moment. I think you have to send everything back within two weeks and I need a bit more time to gather things! Good to know I'm not the only one who hasn't heard yet though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kayla1989

Could anyone give me some advice. I've applied for nursing as a mature student and got results yesterday and did fairly good in it. Only problem is I just found out I'm being charged wit section 3 of the non fatal offences against a person. I didn't do anything and I'm fighting it but I don't know what's going to happen about it. Has anyone every been in a situation like this? And if I am convicted is that my chances of ever doing nursing gone. I've tried contacting the college but havnt received a reply. Anyone with info on this I would be very greatful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

kayla1989 wrote: »
    Could anyone give me some advice. I've applied for nursing as a mature student and got results yesterday and did fairly good in it. Only problem is I just found out I'm being charged wit section 3 of the non fatal offences against a person. I didn't do anything and I'm fighting it but I don't know what's going to happen about it. Has anyone every been in a situation like this? And if I am convicted is that my chances of ever doing nursing gone. I've tried contacting the college but havnt received a reply. Anyone with info on this I would be very greatful.

You need to speak to An Bord Altranais and the colleges you have applied to regarding their admissions policies for people with a conviction. At the present you haven't been convicted so it doesn't apply in your case but its better to be informed.
    Nursing Careers centre: http://www.nursingboard.ie/en/careers.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Sharon2013 wrote: »

Hi Sharon2013,

If you go to www.grantsonline.ie you will be able to register an account with us and then complete the application. You need to make sure you receive two emails from us. The first will confirm your registration and the second will confirm that your application has been submitted.

If any of you wish to email me with your details I can check the progress of your application for you. I will need the following details:

W reference number:
    D.O.B:
    Address:
    Mother's Maiden Name:

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Sharon2013

Thanks for all the info, best of luck to everyone with their studies. Has many of u applied for psychiatric nursing??

• Registered Users Posts: 35 briergirl

Hi has anyone applied for Mids in NUIG??

How did everyone do? I got 617 so Im praying I get my 1st choice midwifery in nuig

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

briergirl wrote: »
    How did everyone do? I got 617 so Im praying I get my 1st choice midwifery in nuig

i got 554 hoping for gen nursing in ucd :o

Its gonna be a long few weeks!!!!!!!

Good luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 The.Russian.one

I got 649 points!!! Delighted but doubt I will accept the place in Nursing...I've been already offered a place on BSc (Hons) in Computing Science,I have not accepted any course yet... cannot choose which course to pick....Nursing is a noble profession but very stressful and nurses are almost always treated like sh&t by other nurses and staff as well as An Board Atranais, plus working conditions are clearly terrible in Ireland. Computing job on the other hand is much better paid and less stressful. I can also become self-employed upon completion of a degree. I can also work in my own lovely country- Russia, as the computing skills are universally recognised. I am a guy by the way...maybe Computer science is better suited to me :) I am equally interested in both courses.

Well done thats a great score!!! Where have you applied for Nursing?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭creme egg

Does anyone know where people can get sample tests to prepare for next year. Also did anyone do any of the private prep courses for this exam? We're they worth it etc?

creme egg wrote: »
    Does anyone know where people can get sample tests to prepare for next year. Also did anyone do any of the private prep courses for this exam? We're they worth it etc?

Here is the test familiarisation booklet we were sent by PAS this year. It has the sample questions in it. I did a prep day and found it to be very helpful. Felt a lot more confident this year after doing it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Wildrosie. Have you got your results yet? Hope you got in. Where did you do the test familiarization? I'm thinking it will b a good idea, although I won't b in a position to do it until 2015!

Here is the test familiarisation booklet we were sent by PAS this year. It has the sample questions in it. I did a prep day and found it to be very helpful. Felt a lot more confident this year after doing it.

Just a quick question. How did you find the test vs the sample papers? Was it much harder? I'm terrible at maths but the sample ones don't seem too bad! The job simulation seems worse in a way.

I also sat the prep course and i found it to be very helpful. I got 617 points

Just a quick question. How did you find the test vs the sample papers? Was it much harder? I'm terrible at maths but the sample ones don't seem too bad! The job simulation seems worse in a way.

They were pretty similar. I don't think there was anything on the paper that was wildly different from those questions. If you've a decent grasp of maths you'll have no problem. I found the job sim harder as a lot of the answers seem reasonable and there's a lot of reading in a short space of time. It just isn't as clear cut as the maths. I'd really recommend the prep day. I got 221 last year and 622 this year. Obviously the scoring changed this year, but it's a big improvement and I think the prep day really helped. I also did a healthcare assistant course this year and my work experience in hospitals definitely helped for the job sim.

They were pretty similar. I don't think there was anything on the paper that was wildly different from those questions. If you've a decent grasp of maths you'll have no problem. I found the job sim harder as a lot of the answers seem reasonable and there's a lot of reading in a short space of time. It just isn't as clear cut as the maths. I'd really recommend the prep day. I got 221 last year and 622 this year. Obviously the scoring changed this year, but it's a big improvement and I think the prep day really helped. I also did a healthcare assistant course this year and my work experience in hospitals definitely helped for the job sim.

Thanks so much Wildrosie. I am going to do a pre nursing course in Clane. Going to do it part time over 2 years but also do the prep course in year 1 and sit the aptitude test so maybe I might get enough points and not have to do year 2 IYKWIM.
    I know getting a place as a mature student is hard enough but gerting a place via the FETAC route is even harder I believe. Are your points enough to get offered a place do you think? I hope so.

Are there any nurses on this thread and also any student nurses? I have a few questions I'd love to PM if anyone has the time.

Thanks so much Wildrosie. I am going to do a pre nursing course in Clane. Going to do it part time over 2 years but also do the prep course in year 1 and sit the aptitude test so maybe I might get enough points and not have to do year 2 IYKWIM.
    I know getting a place as a mature student is hard enough but gerting a place via the FETAC route is even harder I believe. Are your points enough to get offered a place do you think? I hope so.

You're welcome :). From what I've heard, gaining a FETAC place is difficult, but doing the pre nursing sounds like a great idea, even just to give you a taste. I did a one year full time healthcare assistant course this year and LOVED it. I'd have loved to do the pre nursing but the course was long filled up when I applied. It won't technically help me gain a place, but I really think the work experience helped me on the job sim as I found that very tough last year. Can I give you one little tip? Choose your work experience carefully. I applied to loads of places and put a lot of effort into getting places in two hospitals and a nursing home and it was so worth it, for the variety and for seeing nurses and student nurses working. They were so welcoming and made sure I got to observe interesting things after I told them I was applying for nursing. It made me even more sure that nursing is what I want to do.

I really don't know if my score is enough as we've nothing to compare against this year but I'm hopeful that I'll be offered something please God.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 queenofsteel1

Nursing is a noble profession but very stressful and nurses are almost always treated like sh&t by other nurses and staff as well as An Board Atranais, plus working conditions are clearly terrible in Ireland.

what makes you think nurses treat each other like ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 google girl

briergirl wrote: »
    Hi has anyone applied for Mids in NUIG??

yes i have, got a score of 585...not sure if its enough but fingers crossed, best of luck your score is fantastic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 39 canon14

i thought my score of 564 was great but seeing most people have scored higher than me here i doubt i will be offered a place. I cant stop thinking about it, ill be devastated if i dont get offered a place. i have applied for general in 10 colleges , i wish it was the 5th and we all knew ...........

• Advertisement

yes i have, got a score of 585...not sure if its enough but fingers crossed, best of luck your score is fantastic :P

You never know.. hopefully we will be classmates;)

Advertisement