Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TT bikes in ITU races

Options
  • 04-06-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've been looking at a few races, one of the being the London 2012 and last weekends race in Madrid -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKL4KDiIoR8

One thing I noticed is that none of the riders are using TT bikes, some have very short aerobars on their bikes, but that is all. Is this a rule these races?

I can't see from the footage, but do the aerobars on the bikes have gear levers on them? I'm planning on getting a TT bike for next season, but after seing what these lads and ladies are doing without them, is there really much point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

ITU race draft legal Stagger so they aren't allowed full TT set ups as they would be dangerous riding in groups.

Unless you improve to their level and start racing in ITU you will be fine with the full TT set up for any race you will enter as all our races are NOT draft legal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

All ITU races are draft legal and for safety reasons TT bikes arent allowed in those races

TT bikes are only permitted in non-drafting races

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Makes sense now, thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

catweazle wrote: »
    ITU race draft legal Stagger so they aren't allowed full TT set ups as they would be dangerous riding in groups.

This is the reason why they are not welcome on club spins or out with 'real' cyclists either. Nobody likes getting a gear level embedded in their backside.

If it was your first bike and you are going to do many club cycles or cycling events a road bike with clip on aero bars is the best option. If going for a TT, go the whole hog with full TT setup.

Advertisement