Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale agreed land is leased, what should I do now?

Options
  • 04-06-2013 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

I put a deposit on a parcel of land a few weeks ago. The contracts came to my solicitor a few days ago so I decided to go and have another look before signing only to find a load of sheep on it. After a bit of digging I found out that the parcel I am buying is part of a larger block of land that is leased out (lease runs out in November). Where do I stand now? Should I sign?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I put a deposit on a parcel of land a few weeks ago. The contracts came to my solicitor a few days ago so I decided to go and have another look before signing only to find a load of sheep on it. After a bit of digging I found out that the parcel I am buying is part of a larger block of land that is leased out (lease runs out in November). Where do I stand now? Should I sign?

Ask your solicitor, they have all the info and can advise you properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Ask your solicitor, they have all the info and can advise you properly.

I intend to do that tomorrow. I just want to have an insight into it myself before I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Leaving the legals aside, if you intend to use the land yourself, I'd insist on vacant possession of it. Much harder for you to land in there and either fail to renew a lease or to "evict" the tenant. It may be that the farmer has a licence to graze his sheep and not a lease of the land per se. Irrespective, I would not take on the land with this type of burden if you don't want it to carry on.

Advertisement