Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pen of Choice?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Bic ball point black . I never use any other colour .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Gotta love me old reliable ball point blue :D

I have to admit I hate Supreme biros though, theyre too tough and I find they slow me down :o They're great for making my writing look neat however. Bic are ok IMO, but they're not the best that's out there, they're grand for most subjects, bar the ones where you are SUPER stuck for time: English and Business, I'm looking at you

I hate writing in black, only if I'm desperate, seriously I could have 5 black pens and none blue and ill ask my whole table do they have a blue pen before I start with the black, it's grand though cause most people seem to dislike writing in blue :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

HugsiePie wrote: »

I have to admit I hate Supreme biros though, theyre too tough and I find they slow me down :o They're great for making my writing look neat however. Bic are ok IMO, but they're not the best that's out there, they're grand for most subjects, bar the ones where you are SUPER stuck for time: English and Business, I'm looking at you

I hate writing in black, only if I'm desperate, seriously I could have 5 black pens and none blue and ill ask my whole table do they have a blue pen before I start with the black, it's grand though cause most people seem to dislike writing in blue :D

I hate black too, it somehow makes my illegible scrawl even harder to read. Blue all the way, that is until I run out of blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I hate black too, it somehow makes my illegible scrawl even harder to read. Blue all the way, that is until I run out of blue.

Yay, someone else that refers to their handwriting as illegible scrawl :P I thought it was just me :pac:

decisions wrote: »
    Yay, someone else that refers to their handwriting as illegible scrawl :P I thought it was just me :pac:

The corrector of my English mock even went so far as to write a note on it to tell me to work on the handwriting. :O

• Advertisement

The corrector of my English mock even went so far as to write a note on it to tell me to work on the handwriting. :O

I got that in French and Irish, but not English :confused:

DAMN, so I can't steal a blue pen off of you :P

:pac:

Ah no, black pen makes my writing look even more disgusting, the amount of times my ENGLISH teacher told me to change my writing, and that was with the blue :rolleyes:

I didn't even see your post, we're like twins :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

HugsiePie wrote: »

Quit hating on black :)

I use both. I think blue is better when writing on a page with black print on it because it contrasts it. Like in the LC maths papers or on a French paper. But I think black is better for writing in a copy/exam booklet or anything formal(like in English) because it just looks more significant.

God help my corrector. I was reading over some of my essays earlier and there were parts of my writing that stumped me.

But back to the pen situation, I never bought any pens so I only have the 1 Staedtler :(, a bic and 2 black Faber Castelles

• Advertisement

God help my corrector. I was reading over some of my essays earlier and there were parts of my writing that stumped me.

But back to the pen situation, I never bought any pens so I only have the 1 Staedtler :(, a bic and 2 black Faber Castelles

I have no idea where I get my pens from, they just magically appear in my pencil case :D

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Quit hating on black :)

I use both. I think blue is better when writing on a page with black print on it because it contrasts it. Like in the LC maths papers or on a French paper. But I think black is better for writing in a copy/exam booklet or anything formal(like in English) because it just looks more significant.

Not when it makes your writing look more scrawny than it already does

BLUE FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 6 C_Merr

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

McHale ones that you get at the ploughing or farmers journal ones, but I change the ink in them to blue because I hate black writing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I used black Staedtler all throughout fifth and sixth year due to 'acquiring' a box of them at the UL open day and loved them. Still use them now occasionally (due to the box not being finished yet). But I did my Leaving Cert in plain blue and red BIC pens.... They seem to be the only pens I'm totally comfortable with and are comfortable with my writing speed. Have to use them in college exams as well.

Still though, I'd do an exam in any pen if I had to as long as it's span new. I can never start a set of exams with already used pens. I don't mind using a pen again in an exam as long as the pen was first used in the existing period of exams. Yeah OCD is rampant in this one :rolleyes: I also can't do an exam without having those rubber cylinder things that prevent your finger from getting mashed. I still have a bump on my middle finger that formed in primary school due to my aggressive writing technique (I f*cking love colouring :D) and anytime I need to write furiously it hurts like hell...so I don't have any other option really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

are you allowed use red pens in the exam ? I wasn't sure so iused black for question numbers today.

I nearly had a panic today in my exam, two of my blue pens ran out, and I nearly had to resort to black! :eek: Thank goodness I had picked up a third blue this morning as a complete fluke! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Still though, I'd do an exam in any pen if I had to as long as it's span new. I can never start a set of exams with already used pens. I don't mind using a pen again in an exam as long as the pen was first used in the existing period of exams. Yeah OCD is rampant in this one :rolleyes: I also can't do an exam without having those rubber cylinder things that prevent your finger from getting mashed.

I have to agree with everything said here :pac:

007driver wrote: »
    are you allowed use red pens in the exam ? I wasn't sure so iused black for question numbers today.

No red or green allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I used red for like headings and numbering questions and stuff. Never knew it wasn't allowed? I know you can't use it as your main colour for writing your answers but I'm sure as long as you stay well clear of the right column it's fine? Maybe the rules have changed since last year....but I didn't suffer in any way from using red anyway thats for sure :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Ermm well one of my teachers harped on for the last 3 weeks of school that we were to write headings and number everything etc etc in red pen and shes corrected Leaving Certs before..
    Like I know red is what the corrector uses but surely seeing a heading in red isnt going to confuse or upset their own work in red..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I used red today for headings (and in the junior cert). It was beat into us to use different colours just don't use green :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

It's nice to see at least two fountain pen users! My little sister is doing her LC with a Pilot Prera that I gave her for Christmas. I did all my state exams with the same trusty yellow Lamy Safari with a 1.1 italic nib, still writes to this day like a trooper. FPs are so much kinder on your hands during long writing sessions. Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    It's nice to see at least two fountain pen users! My little sister is doing her LC with a Pilot Prera that I gave her for Christmas. I did all my state exams with the same trusty yellow Lamy Safari with a 1.1 italic nib, still writes to this day like a trooper. FPs are so much kinder on your hands during long writing sessions. Best of luck to everyone.

Did all my exams over the last two weeks with a yellow Lamy Safari, fine nib. Daecent pen, but, I ran out of ink in history, and had to revert to a bic. The horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

I make far too many mistakes and scribble too much to use fountain pens :( Went stationary shopping a week before English paper 1 and bought a box of 20 of these 57459X-01.jpg I don't think I'll ever be converted from them <3

As for the colour of headings, I mainly use black (sometimes orange for sub-headings or underlining), specifically some biro that was a present from some cool guy who worked in Xtra Vision when I was signing up for an account. Strangely, any time I've not used it, I've had a not-so-good paper in comparison to when I have :P

Advertisement