Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag science

• 04-06-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just finished 5th year and recently was diagnosed with dyslexia. My dyslexia is so bad that I have exemptions in both French and Irish....... Which I struggled with anyway( failed lower levels in JC).

Because I now only doing 5 subjects, I am taking ag science and going to try and catch up over the summer. There is no ag science teacher in the school but the school will allow me to do the exam on my own.

My questions are,

1.Anyone know farms that I could visit over the summer

2.is there a sample project online that I could look at so I could get the gist of what it entails

3.Anyone any links to good notes or advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hmickv

I am also thinkin of doin ag science outside school next year, i am only startin 5th year in september so i should have plenty of time. Are you going to try teach yourself or get grinds. Try for notes. They seem pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

I used this site as well as a few others for help with my farm project

http://resources.teachnet.ie/farmnet/PDF_Files/Project_Information.pdf

Ag Science is defintitely doable in 1 year, do you do biology? If you do, then you've got 4 or 5 of the 9 questions covered already.

I would definitely order the farmers journal, you can get their booklets on practical work and on ag scoence terms and anomals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

JC43 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've just finished 5th year and recently was diagnosed with dyslexia. My dyslexia is so bad that I have exemptions in both French and Irish....... Which I struggled with anyway( failed lower levels in JC).

Because I now only doing 5 subjects, I am taking ag science and going to try and catch up over the summer. There is no ag science teacher in the school but the school will allow me to do the exam on my own.

My questions are,

1.Anyone know farms that I could visit over the summer

2.is there a sample project online that I could look at so I could get the gist of what it entails

3.Anyone any links to good notes or advise.

I'd strongly advise taking it up. Its a very interesting course in my opinion particularly if you live in a rural area and the content is quite easy to learn off. You can't actually do the exam if you have no access to a teacher as they must sign off your project to confirm that you did it under their supervision. Perhaps look into grinds in your area, just google it or even look for nearby schools and ask (very nicely) if you could drop in now and again on the class.
    1.Sometimes schools organize group visits to a farm so you could look into that. Alternatively you could ask a neighbour or a family member to base it on their farm.
    2.I haven't found any samples online, only idiots selling theirs to panicked and disorganised students.
    3.Again, I couldn't find many notes online but I'd highly advise the Rapid Revision book. Theres a few other revision books out there too that may be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 murtquig

Hi there just wondering wat part of the country you are in . You will need to have a teacher to stand over your course work as being your own work which includes the experiments and project section.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hmickv

murtquig wrote: »
    Hi there just wondering wat part of the country you are in . You will need to have a teacher to stand over your course work as being your own work which includes the experiments and project section.

hi i am also looking for an ag science teacher for september. i am in the cork area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 murtquig

Can't say I know of anyone down that way teaching it. You could try contacting someone the iasta Check its website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

You would be able to do it in the likes of Bruce or Hewitt in Cork as an extra subject (at a cost of course!).

Can't imagine many teachers just letting you tag along for the project though...

Advertisement