Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurcher jumping onto wall and out of garden...

• 04-06-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Ok folks, we recently rescued a lurcher and after the second day of having her outside for about 20 mins she managed to jump onto the back wall (6ft tall) and walk down and jump out into our front garden. Over the weekend I put trellising fencing to add another 18 ins but I got a call today to say she got out again.

Just two queries really:

1. Has anyone tips to stop her jumping up on the wall?
    2. Anyone know someone at a resaonable rate that will construct a dog run (it will need a roof too) if I decide to go down that road?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

I understand that you're leaving the lurcher outside when away. Would you not consider to keep her inside? Among other things lurchers left unattended tends to become target for thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I would strongly advise you not to leave a lurcher unattended in your garden when you are not at home. They are being taken left, right and centre at the moment and are very, very attractive to certain people who wouldn't hesitate to take her from your garden. The safest place for a lurcher when you are not at home is inside the house. They really aren't safe left in runs unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

+1 on keeping the lurcher inside for safety. But you stil have to secure the garden for when the dog is outside. I suggest you look at what people do to keep cats from escaping from their gardens. You need to put up some fencing that leans into your garden at an angle. Do a search on this forum under "fencing for cats" or similar and you will see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

If you're going to build a dog run what ild do is this; work out rough size and go to one of the upcoming game fares, birr would be best one. There will be plenty of traders for fencing panells there and you could work out a good deal on the day. Maybe discuss about solutions with trader on how to stop dog jumping fence; fence angled back into run??. When you have fencing bought lay concrete slab and learn from my mistake here, try run power for outdoor socket and pipe for a tap in the run and if at all possible get it plumbed to the house sewage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I wouldn't be leaving a lurcher outside unattended, even if she's in a run.

I'm surprised you weren't warned by the rescue if you got her from one but female lurchers are highly desirable to members of a certain community. You need to keep your dog inside and out of sight when you are not there and if she's outside then you need to be with her.

If you leave her outside she will be stolen, simple as. If someone stops you on the street asking about her or offering you money for her tell them she's neutered, microchipped and useless for chasing and then make sure you don't lead them to your home.

I'm not trying to scaremonger here but my warning is based on fact. It happens time and time again with lurchers, please don't be the next one posting stolen ads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Toulouse wrote: »
    I wouldn't be leaving a lurcher outside unattended, even if she's in a run.

I'm surprised you weren't warned by the rescue if you got her from one but female lurchers are highly desirable to members of a certain community. You need to keep your dog inside and out of sight when you are not there and if she's outside then you need to be with her.

If you leave her outside she will be stolen, simple as. If someone stops you on the street asking about her or offering you money for her tell them she's neutered, microchipped and useless for chasing and then make sure you don't lead them to your home.

I'm not trying to scaremonger here but my warning is based on fact. It happens time and time again with lurchers, please don't be the next one posting stolen ads.

I own a lurcher cross and have had people ask me to sell her a few times . I didn't realise that lurchers were high risk for getting stolen. She is neutered and micro chipped and saying she is rubbish at chasing sounds like a good idea , thanks for the tip. Fortunately she is rarely left alone. When someone asks to buy my dog in the street I feel like they have asked me to sell a member of the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Funny that Mark! A guy I work with has a lurcher too. Now he didn't know that's what she would grow into when he got her so never really knew anything about them.

Anyway I helped him out with a stray lurcher and was updating him recently when we got talking about lurchers and how difficult it is to rehome them even though they are fantastic family pets. When I mentioned lots of people I know with them getting stopped in the street by members of a certain community it was like a light bulb going off in his brain, he'd been stopped previously and asked to sell her but had never copped why or by who.

Sorry OP, slightly off topic but perhaps educational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,573 ✭✭✭✭fits

The OP's lurcher was only outside for twenty minutes!

That said, its not great if she can jump out. Can you put up some trellis or something on the wall to stop her from getting up on it?

Also make sure she has a tag on her collar with your phone number on it. That has gotten me out of trouble a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Thanks everyone for your input.

Unfortunately if I leave her inside whils we're at work she'll wreck the place. The first couple of days she's already chewed on the kitchen double doors. As we both work and commute I don't think it's an option to leave her indoors.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I have another dog too (have her 11 years) and I was hoping this would keep her occupied.

I have put trellising fencing up and this helped to a degree but she still managed to find the slightest gap between to sets of trellising to get out.

I'm going to get another side door and stop her going up the side enterance and hopefully that will put a stop to it.

She is such a beautiful dog and this is the only problem we have with her.

I'll keep you updated how we get on and thanks for the advice on the other certain people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

As the area is new to her, there are a lot of new scents that need investigating.
    Spend an hour or two walking the immediate area around your house, letting her smell everything and anything she wants. Worked a treat with my lurcher who calmed down after a three days and has not left the garden since.

• Advertisement
Advertisement