Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More GB in 'My Music' folder than iTunes. Why?

• 04-06-2013 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

This is baffling me so maybe somebody can enlighten me on what settings I may have to change.

I have 38.1GB (amount on disk 38.2GB) in the 'My Music' folder. I went into iTunes and clicked 'Add Folder'. However, when the process completed a moment ago, I have a paltry 23.76GB in my iTunes folder.

Why is this? Grma.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Seanchai wrote: »
    This is baffling me so maybe somebody can enlighten me on what settings I may have to change.

I have 38.1GB (amount on disk 38.2GB) in the 'My Music' folder. I went into iTunes and clicked 'Add Folder'. However, when the process completed a moment ago, I have a paltry 23.76GB in my iTunes folder.

Why is this? Grma.

Do you have any types of media in your "My Music" folder itunes does not recognize? I could be wrong but formats such as flac, ogg I don't think itunes supports.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

yoyo wrote: »
    Do you have any types of media in your "My Music" folder itunes does not recognize? I could be wrong but formats such as flac, ogg I don't think itunes supports.

Nick

I had WMA (or MP4) but a note came up saying iTunes was converting those formats into MP3.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Seanchai wrote: »
    I had WMA (or MP4) but a note came up saying iTunes was converting those formats into MP3.

I don't think iTunes will convert other formats though, do a search in the folder for *.flac and see if many flac files are found. Flac is a lossless format so file sizes are considerably larger than compressed ones, so you may only have a couple of flac files making the space larger

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

yoyo wrote: »
    I don't think iTunes will convert other formats though, do a search in the folder for *.flac and see if many flac files are found. Flac is a lossless format so file sizes are considerably larger than compressed ones, so you may only have a couple of flac files making the space larger

Nick

No .flac files at all. I've still only 23GB in ITunes/ on the Ipod, despite there being 38GB in the Music folder which iTunes is synced to.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

only guessing here but when itunes converted the music maybe the itunes files sizes are smaller than the original wmas?

have you dont some random checks see if anything is missing or if all your music is there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,793 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Was there 38GB in MyMusic before you did the import?

When you say your iTunes folder, do you mean what it reports at the bottom of iTunes? Or do you have the option checked to copy files to your actual iTunes library folder?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you've converted files in iTunes, the originals might still be on your PC (I know when I convert to MP3, it still leaves the original files in place).

Advertisement