Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out for the first time.

Options
  • 04-06-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just about to move out of my family home for the first time.

What information do i need to provide for landlords?
    I have only lived in my family home so what references can I provide?
    I am not looking for student accommodation as I work full time and i'm looking for my own flat.

Just looking on Daft at the moment, is there any advice you can give me.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Hiya,

Best advice is to be upfront about no previous landlord references when looking at the properties but explain why (when they ask for references, I wouldn't lead with it).
    Make sure you have a reference from work & a pay slip or something similar. Also maybe try to get a character reference that could be used in lieu of the previous landlord.
    Did you pay any rent at home to your parents? If so maybe show them a bank statement showing transfer of money for this as might help too.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HouseHunter13

A reference and contact number for a manager/boss instead if possible, the fact that you gave your work contact details (and hopefully a good reference) would be sufficient for most landlords I would imagine.

Good luck with the hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I'm in the same situation as you're in right now. I've got payslips, a work reference to say I'm in full time permanent employment, and two character references from people in authourity who have known me for for a few years. I've found most landlords and estate agents I've spoken to seem to be happy enough to take these, however you may be at a disadvantage against people who have landlord references.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 General Ramblings

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful.

I dont currently pay rent at home.

What is the best way to pay the deposit to the landlord?

Its all a bit daunting at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I moved out of the family home last year under pretty much the same circumstances. They asked for 4 weeks deposit up front. I was able to pay them one week and offered them extra money on top of the rent to pay of the remainder of the deposit. They accepted this and it was noted on the lease.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful.

I dont currently pay rent at home.

Its all a bit daunting at the moment.

Stay at home as long as possible and save as much as possible. I've a friend in a relatively poorly paid job who managed to go from home to buying directly. TO be fair she was pretty good with money from her first job at 15/16.

While the allure of your own place is great I wouldn't make the jump unless it's because you need to relocate / are way too old (e.g. over 30) to be living at home / getting a push. Even if you disagree with the 'own your own home' type thing you really do need savings to be truly independent.

Have you thought about a flat share - normally less formal in regards to references etc.

Stay at home as long as possible and save as much as possible. I've a friend in a relatively poorly paid job who managed to go from home to buying directly. TO be fair she was pretty good with money from her first job at 15/16.

While the allure of your own place is great I wouldn't make the jump unless it's because you need to relocate / are way too old (e.g. over 30) to be living at home / getting a push. Even if you disagree with the 'own your own home' type thing you really do need savings to be truly independent.

Have you thought about a flat share - normally less formal in regards to references etc.

I would prefer to have my own space really.

What are the main questions I need to ask a landlord?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I would prefer to have my own space really.

What are the main questions I need to ask a landlord?

Read the threads here especially in relation to how you go about renting. Once you are in photograph and document EVERYTHING. Landlords are notorious for trying to stiff people on deposits.

Make sure you have budgeted properly and leave around 20% extra on top of what you think you need. Add another 10% and save this religiously every week/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I asked about deposit/rent in advance, bins (who pays if he pays who with), esb (who is this with/ if u want could you switch to prepay power etc), TV (is their an aerial/sky installed), what will be in the house (no furniture was there when i went to view).

Depending on the area you could have to ask about gardens, maintainence of exterior etc. Make sure you take photographs in the presence of someone (ideally the landlord or agent) on the day you get the key especially any damaged areas. get the landlord or agent to sign and date them ie agreeing that the photo represents what the house or flat looks like on the date shown. will make it easier to get deposit back when/if you move.

really appreciate the advice guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=144568

That thread is pretty long but even give a glance over the first page, it gives a good idea of what to look for. I'd say bring someone looking with you, 2 heads are better than one and they might notice something you don't.

Advertisement