Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Hi
    Manc Red

I am afraid the information is not available as yet. We can not provide detailed information regarding the efibre network / cabinet lay out  or the reasons as to why specific cabinets.

We can not change customers from one cabinet to another.

Thanks, Mark

You can't get information about your own network? Weird. 

Can you at least confirm that we will be able to get Fibre broadband? If so, what speeds? This is of course the reason of this thread and if this can't be confirmed then this thread was pointless and a waste of everyone's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Manc Red wrote: »
    You can't get information about your own network? Weird. 

Can you at least confirm that we will be able to get Fibre broadband? If so, what speeds? This is of course the reason of this thread and if this can't be confirmed then this thread was pointless and a waste of everyone's time.
    Hi Manc Red

I understand where you are coming from, however if we accept your request outlining the the information / transfer you are requesting then we would have to do the same for every customer.  As I outlined above the situation can vary from cabinet to cabinet. I did try to get some information and indication for you.

Again I apologise it was not better news it was not my intent to waste your time.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Manc Red

I understand where you are coming from, however if we accept your request outlining the the information / transfer you are requesting then we would have to do the same for every customer.  As I outlined above the situation can vary from cabinet to cabinet. I did try to get some information and indication for you.

Again I apologise it was not better news it was not my intent to waste your time.

Thanks, Mark

I don't think so. This is certainly very rare and if you lived where I do then perhaps you would understand. 

I have done more checking and every house can definitely get in for at least 1km in both directions. There's 80+ year old houses that can get it. There isn't one that can't get it that I've checked. There was houses on launch day that couldn't get it and now they can. 

It really does seem very strange. They online checker can't even determine if we can get it. If we are over 1km from the cabinet then it means we can't get it. It's already in the area so there's no hope of us ever getting it again. I think that is reasonable enough to request a move to another cabinet.

You can't even confirm if we can get it or not, and to me that is a big concern. I was told in summer of 2012 that it would be coming soon. I have the tweets and DM's to back this up. I've been waiting for it ever since and we've stayed with eircom for this reason alone. I seemingly stupidly relied that information. It has been very frustrating to be told that it's coming here and now that it is here, you can't even tell me if I can get it and when I'll be able to get if I can at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

I'm under 2.5km away from the main exchange (well within the boundary for Fibre). The nearest Fibre cab is around 250 meters away and I can see it out my window. Houses all around me can order it and I have just be told some all ready have it. I live in between two estates that can get it and both houses across the fence on either side can place an order for it. 

I was told back in summer of 2012 that eircom would be rolling out fibre broadband soon. It was expected before Christmas, then in the new year and then finally May. I have waited patiently to get it. I stayed with eircom specifically for this reason. Now I find out that I'm not even on the eFibre network even though it launched in Letterkenny over 3 weeks ago???  

Can you please explain why I cannot get Fibre broadband? I know that not every cab is connected but please tell me why others around me can get it and I can't. I know for a fact that both of the nearest cabs in either direction are live. It just doesn't make any sense that I'm on a cab that isn't fibre enabled.

So please tell me the cab that I'm on and where it is. If I have to change my phone number/get reconnected to get onto the fibre network then I will do it as I need it for business purposes.
    Hi Manc Red
    Not all homes within an eFibre area will be able to avail of the service. Specific address must be checked to ensure eFibre can be supplied. The decision to make cabs available depends on various factors, operational, logistic and demand. The decision to enable a cab can depend on safety, access and permission from local authorities. We do not have access to full details in each case.
    It may be possible to have your line supplied from another ( eFibre enabled cab) if you would like to follow up on this possibility give our customer support centre a call on 1901 they can advise on probability there. 
    I hope offers some explanation. 
    Tony

Hi Manc Red
    Not all homes within an eFibre area will be able to avail of the service. Specific address must be checked to ensure eFibre can be supplied. The decision to make cabs available depends on various factors, operational, logistic and demand. The decision to enable a cab can depend on safety, access and permission from local authorities. We do not have access to full details in each case.
    It may be possible to have your line supplied from another ( eFibre enabled cab) if you would like to follow up on this possibility give our customer support centre a call on 1901 they can advise on probability there. 
    I hope offers some explanation. 
    Tony
    I doubt anything will happen but I will give it a try. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

I doubt anything will happen but I will give it a try. Thanks for the help.
    Ok Manc Red
    hope it is possible. If you get any feedback or a works reference number and PM this to me, I can chase from this side also.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eggman99

I'm under 2.5km away from the main exchange (well within the boundary for Fibre). The nearest Fibre cab is around 250 meters away and I can see it out my window. Houses all around me can order it and I have just be told some all ready have it. I live in between two estates that can get it and both houses across the fence on either side can place an order for it. 

I was told back in summer of 2012 that eircom would be rolling out fibre broadband soon. It was expected before Christmas, then in the new year and then finally May. I have waited patiently to get it. I stayed with eircom specifically for this reason. Now I find out that I'm not even on the eFibre network even though it launched in Letterkenny over 3 weeks ago???  

Can you please explain why I cannot get Fibre broadband? I know that not every cab is connected but please tell me why others around me can get it and I can't. I know for a fact that both of the nearest cabs in either direction are live. It just doesn't make any sense that I'm on a cab that isn't fibre enabled.

So please tell me the cab that I'm on and where it is. If I have to change my phone number/get reconnected to get onto the fibre network then I will do it as I need it for business purposes.
    The frustration with eircom is unreal.  On their map for my area it said May/June, today it changed to June September, in September it will probably change to October/January.  They are a complete joke

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Paul74910

Hi,
    To be honest, I don't think eircom are of great help in explaining anything to customers about efire exchanges etc in "laymans" terms.
    My area is also fibre enabled but when I ring up they say it isn't and haven't an excuse as to why it is on the map as being enabled.
    This is misleading information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi Paul74910,

The map is for illustrative purpose only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. Specific address must be checked to ensure eFibre can be supplied.

Would you like to PM me your details and I will give you an accurate answer?

Thanks

Tracey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi,

I have sent you a PM there.

Thanks

Tracey

• Advertisement

Ok Manc Red
    hope it is possible. If you get any feedback or a works reference number and PM this to me, I can chase from this side also.
    Tony

Nope. Not possible. 

By the way, some of your staff are some of the most obnoxious people I have ever spoken to. When I say something, they don't listen or just completely ignore what I said and just repeat the same line all the time. 

The problem still exits. We are the only lane in the area that can't get it. I was now told a different story that our cabinet isn't even upgraded yet. I've been told multiple stories from various eircom employees. It's getting ridiculous. 

We are the only lane that can't upgrade to Fibre broadband in the area. The cabinets in the area are all live so it doesn't look like we will ever get it. Really poor show eircom.

How many cabinets in the letterkenny area still have to go live? 

Funny thing is, I opened this thread a month ago and I'm left with the same information as if I hadn't. 

Two things I want to know:

1. How many cabinets in the Letterkenny area still have to go live?
    2. Will I 100%, absolutely, positively be able to get eircom fibre broadband, if not now, in the next few weeks?  (Remember, every other house around us can get it). 

I'm sorry, but if you can't answer that then this is hardly what you would call "customer service/support".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Well I live in Dublin and was told by Eircom/E-Fibre Custom Service that I cant get E-Fibre till October,as its not even available yet.

I asked why the TVs ads say that its here and available.

Lady told me..."thats just Eircoms way of marketing it to people".

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

he already answered your question

the cabinet your line is connected to is NOT fibre enabled yet.

its the same for me... just gotta wait til it is upgraded.

for fibre to work the cabinet needs to be converted into a mini exchange. its not just a matter of flipping a button

Funny thing is, I opened this thread a month ago and I'm left with the same information as if I hadn't. 

Two things I want to know:

1. How many cabinets in the Letterkenny area still have to go live?
    2. Will I 100%, absolutely, positively be able to get eircom fibre broadband, if not now, in the next few weeks?  (Remember, every other house around us can get it). 

I'm sorry, but if you can't answer that then this is hardly what you would call "customer service/support".

Hi Manc Red

As I advised previously we do not have a date or exact time frame as to when your cabinet may be enabled for e-fibre or when orders will be placed for your area as yet.

I would post specifics if they were available at this time.

Efibre was only launched a month ago and work is being done in phases.  The efibre map and systems will be updated as soon as areas / cabinets go line for efibre.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Manc Red

As I advised previously we do not have a date or exact time frame as to when your cabinet may be enabled for e-fibre or when orders will be placed for your area as yet.

I would post specifics if they were available at this time.

Efibre was only launched a month ago and work is being done in phases.  The efibre map and systems will be updated as soon as areas / cabinets go line for efibre.

Thanks, Mark

So you can't say for certain if I will be able to get Fibre broadband? I've seen lists of not yet enable cabinets listed on here before. That's why I asked. 

If I am connected to a cab that isn't enabled yet, then it will definitely be too far away as I know for a fact that all of the cabs for 1km in both directions are live and enabled. 

It's either that or there is a problem with the line. If it is a problem with our line, then I would like to get it sorted now and not wait around for a year only to be told "oops your area was enabled but it's turns out it was your line that was the problem after all". 

Getting that information however is proving to be frustratingly difficult.

So you can't say for certain if I will be able to get Fibre broadband? I've seen lists of not yet enable cabinets listed on here before. That's why I asked. 

If I am connected to a cab that isn't enabled yet, then it will definitely be too far away as I know for a fact that all of the cabs for 1km in both directions are live and enabled. 

It's either that or there is a problem with the line. If it is a problem with our line, then I would like to get it sorted now and not wait around for a year only to be told "oops your area was enabled but it's turns out it was your line that was the problem after all". 

Getting that information however is proving to be frustratingly difficult.

Hi Manc Red

[url defaultattr=http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u="430499"][/url]

I appreciate your point, however we can not give specific cabinet names / locations, cable tracking or address grid maps in a public forum. So I can not give the information you are looking for as the network is continually being worked on and will change. I checked your address and the immediate neighbouring lines (cabinet) are not connected to efibre at present.

I can't state absolutes regarding efibre being available at some stage or never being available as again this can be subject to change. I appreciate that leaves you in a limbo situation.

However we do not have the information or confirmations you are looking for at this time.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Manc Red

I appreciate your point, however we can not give specific cabinet names / locations, cable tracking or address grid maps in a public forum. So I can not give the information you are looking for as the network is continually being worked on and will change. I checked your address and the immediate neighbouring lines (cabinet) are not connected to efibre at present.

I can't state absolutes regarding efibre being available at some stage or never being available as again this can be subject to change. I appreciate that leaves you in a limbo situation.

However we do not have the information or confirmations you are looking for at this time.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks.

I'll just have to wait and see what happens then.

Hi Manc Red

Thanks, Mark

This is wrong. The following file states that all of the cabinets in my area are "landed", "energised" and "commissioned". By all the cabinets I mean every single one on the exchange. There's 45 cabs on the exchange and all of them are now "landed", "energised" and "commissioned". I feel I need to emphasise this point to ensure that it is understood. 

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=1673

They have also been "ready for order" since May 2013. It's July now.

This map also states the same thing: 

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1FogNL4QGneyEpG-k0bKf3qokZUrv57qSNj_xZa4#map:id=3

Can you please explain this one to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

This is wrong. The following file states that all of the cabinets in my area are "landed", "energised" and "commissioned". By all the cabinets I mean every single one on the exchange. There's 45 cabs on the exchange and all of them are now "landed", "energised" and "commissioned". I feel I need to emphasise this point to ensure that it is understood. 

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=1673

They have also been "ready for order" since May 2013. It's July now.

This map also states the same thing: 

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1FogNL4QGneyEpG-k0bKf3qokZUrv57qSNj_xZa4#map:id=3

Can please explain this one to me?
    +1 on this some further info on what the hold up would clear a lot of questions up. My Cabinet AKW1_012 was commissioned two weeks ago and I spoke with the engineer on the day who confirmed everything was good to go and it would be a week just for the database to update and we would be good to go but still we are not able to order. 

Mark or one of the other reps could you please try get some sort of an update here.

• Advertisement

Nothing...?

It's fitting that there hasn't been a reply from eircom staff because they don't know anything. 

We just had an engineer out to fix a problem with our broadband and he was able to tell us exactly what is happening. After all this, I was told we're on a cabinet that is over the maximum distance. 

Also all the cabinets in the area are enabled (and serving customers) like I have been saying all this time but I have been told otherwise in this thread and when calling eircom. We have been put on a cabinet that is over 1km away despite that fact we are one of the first houses in the area. The new estates all get first picks. In other words eircom couldn't care less about long term customers. There's two other houses who are on the same lane as us who also must be on the same cabinet. 

The engineer was extremely nice and basically said he couldn't do anything as it was nothing to do with him which I completely understand given the bureaucracy of eircom. 

After being told last summer that it would be a few months away, then the new year and then summer and now finally "you can't get it as your being served by a cabinet that is over 1km away even tho there's a cabinet less than 200 meters away" you should be able to understand how frustrating this has been. 

Congrats. Another "epic fail" for eircom.

Advertisement