Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal situation re property being overlooked?

Options
  • 04-06-2013 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hi

We live in a row of modern terraced houses, with an open plan glazed living area on the first floor. Our neighbour has taken to spending considerable time on his flat roof, from where he (and his occasional guests) can look directly into our living room. We have spoken to him and he is unwilling to refrain from going on the roof, despite the fact that it is a huge invasion of our privacy. Any thoughts on the legal situation or the best way to tackle this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

How many windows in the living room? Can you put something on the glass that allows you to look at him, but he cannot see you. If he's being obstinate, that might be the best way to sort the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Unless they've got binoculars or cameras set up pointing at you it's really not his obligation to change. Curtains? Trellis and ivy if it's your property and he's ok with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Can you put a fence up? Even one with gaps to let the light in but gives a bit more privacy

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

How many windows in the living room? Can you put something on the glass that allows you to look at him, but he cannot see you. If he's being obstinate, that might be the best way to sort the problem.

Thanks, but there is a very large glazed area in our property, and it would not be practical to cover it (and I don't think we should have to).

Can you put a fence up? Even one with gaps to let the light in but gives a bit more privacy

Again, the design of the property doesn't allow for such an arrangement. Thanks though.

It's more akin to someone being in a position to peer directly in at a glass wall and roof at the back of your house, through which you get your light.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Unless they've got binoculars or cameras set up pointing at you it's really not his obligation to change. Curtains? Trellis and ivy if it's your property and he's ok with it?

He wouldn't need binoculars. He's about 8 feet away!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It's not for you to tell your neighbour he can't go on his own roof, just because you feel it is an invasion of your privacy. Your privacy doesn't extend to controlling what other people do on their own property and attempting to tell him what he can and can't do is pretty much totally out of order.

Your best option is to screen the boundary from his flat roof to above eye height.

copacetic wrote: »
    It's not for you to tell your neighbour he can't go on his own roof, just because you feel it is an invasion of your privacy. Your privacy doesn't extend to controlling what other people do on their own property and attempting to tell him what he can and can't do is pretty much totally out of order.

Your best option is to screen the boundary from his flat roof to above eye height.

I think you're mistaken. Basic planning regulations always take account of issues such as overlooking another property.

Ninap wrote: »
    I think you're mistaken. Basic planning regulations always take account of issues such as overlooking another property.

That would be if he was to build an extension on his roof and say put a window directly looking in to your property, he wouldn't get approval. He doesn't need planning permission to go on to his own roof.

copacetic wrote: »
    That would be if he was to build an extension on his roof and say put a window directly looking in to your property, he wouldn't get approval. He doesn't need planning permission to go on to his own roof.

The properties weren't designed to allow people to go on the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For it to happen once or on rare occasions isn't a legal problem. Doing it persistently (might it be because it is sunny?) and that it knowingly upsets the neighbours is a problem.

Potentially, you make a Garda complaint for harassment or a civil complaint for harassment and/or invasion of privacy. It would be useful to speak to a solicitor. But realise that any formal complaint is likely to result if a further deterioration of your relationship with the neighbour. Talk to other neighbours also.

You could try a reflective window film, although it might not be great in a living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

But he is not looking for planning permission. Are you really suggesting that your neighbour should not make full use of his property because you don't like him having a view of your property ?

Victor wrote: »
    For it to happen once or on rare occasions isn't a legal problem. Doing it persistently (might it be because it is sunny?) and that it knowingly upsets the neighbours is a problem.

Potentially, you make a Garda complaint for harassment or a civil complaint for harassment and/or invasion of privacy. It would be useful to speak to a solicitor. But realise that any formal complaint is likely to result if a further deterioration of your relationship with the neighbour. Talk to other neighbours also.

You could try a reflective window film, although it might not be great in a living room.

Yes, a once-off wouldn't be a problem. Every day is.
    I agree it's always preferable to deal with an issue amicably if at all possible. This looks unlikely here, unfortunately.

RustyNut wrote: »
    But he is not looking for planning permission. Are you really suggesting that your neighbour should not make full use of his property because you don't like him having a view of your property ?

Yes, I am. I could go on my roof in the exact same way, but that would mean looking directly into the living space of my neighbour on the other side. I don't think that would be appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Out of interest, are the house in the terrace all the same? As in : all have the same open plan living area with lots of glass?

wexie wrote: »
    Out of interest, are the house in the terrace all the same? As in : all have the same open plan living area with lots of glass?

Yes. But only one property has installed a ladder to allow easy access to the roof, and consequent invasion of our privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think it will be very hard to enforce anything against the neighbour but he is being ignorant by the sounds of it. I'd put a camcorder on a tripod pointing right at his roof to try to spook him. Doesn't have to be recording and probably shouldn't be!

murphaph wrote: »
    I think it will be very hard to enforce anything against the neighbour but he is being ignorant by the sounds of it. I'd put a camcorder on a tripod pointing right at his roof to try to spook him. Doesn't have to be recording and probably shouldn't be!

I'm by no means a legal expert but I'd imagine that'd be a great way to get into trouble with the gards yourself...

Yes, unfortunately I think you're right. There probably isn't an easy legal remedy; the situation requires a basic understanding of what constitutes acceptable behaviour, something our neighbour doesn't seem to have. (And some posters on here don't appear to have either, although not knowing the configuration of our properties probably means they don't appreciate just how intrusive our neighour's behaviour is.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not sure about the legal standpoint but I would ask this.
    Has this neighbour always been there? Have you been in your house long and has the room you are discussing always been there?

I find it rather strange that someone who lives in a glass house expects privacy from their neighbours to be completely honest.
    He has as much right, I would suggest, to use his property as you do yours.
    Ultimately I believe if you require more privacy from him that the onus is on you to get that without impacting on his rights......

• Advertisement

It's an awkward one, it's entirely possible that your neighbour doesn't think he's doing anything wrong and thinks you're being completely unreasonable. But from what you're describing it doesn't sound very nice.

The majority of the time I'm not doing anything in my house I wouldn't do in front of other people, I still wouldn't want anybody watching me do it though.

If this is a newer estate there might well be a management / owners association, you could always see if there are any estate by-laws / regulations or some such thing? You could bring it up with the neighbours and see how they feel? Maybe have it mentioned at an AGM or something?

I think your best bet though, is talking to your neighbour, maybe get him to sit in his sitting room with you on your roof? But, if he's actually gone so far as to install a ladder it sounds like he intends to make it a regular thing.

Yes, unfortunately I think you're right. There probably isn't an easy legal remedy; the situation requires a basic understanding of what constitutes acceptable behaviour, something our neighbour doesn't seem to have. (And some posters on here don't appear to have either, although not knowing the configuration of our properties probably means they don't appreciate just how intrusive our neighour's behaviour is.)

I think most people understand your problem and appreciate that your neighbour is out of order.

They are just trying to tell you that our 'rights' are minimal and there is little enough you can do. There are a 1000 things your neighbour can do to make your life a misery, most of them legal.

You are getting people telling you that your rights aren't what you think mixed up with people supporting your neighbours actions. Your responses would likely make people lean to thinking that you mightn't have a great attitude to people who don't see things your way. Possibly part of why things have gotten out of hand with your neighbour.

At the risk of labouring the point, our neighbour's roof overlooks the internal courtyard of our house. When he is on the roof, he could tap on our perspex roof, and could - if he wanted - drop down into our courtyard. He is about 8 foot max from the windows of our living room and can see literally everything we are doing. The roof is not designed to be a useable space, but that one house in the row has installed a ladder to allow access. No other neighbour uses their roof in a similar fashion because they realise it would be highly inappropriate to be able to peer into their neighbour's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Is the neighbouring house rented? If so you may get some traction with the landlord. May.

Otherwise the only potential avenue I can think of is that there has been an effective change of use of the roof to a balcony which may interest planning or building control. I'm afraid I don't know if the council would actually take any action however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

... The roof is not designed to be a useable space, but that one house in the row has installed a ladder to allow access. ...
    I've seen plenty of examples of planning applications for extensions that, because they are taking up a significant chunk of garden, incorporate a balcony or roof garden at the first floor level the extension. Most frequently, permission is granted for the extension minus the rooftop garden exactly because it would overlook neighbours' property.

Now, I could not say if leaning or affixing a ladder to a building to gain access to a rooftop constitutes non-permitted development and,even if it does, how you could go about using this to enforce a solution (just think of the number of converted attics that are used as bedrooms despite being explicitly forbidden from being used as a habitable room) but maybe checking out the original planning permission of your complex and a call to your local authority planning department may be in order.

On a completely different tack, depending on the angle of light and the glass used, you might be surprised how little you can see into a room from outside even from close up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd also check with the planning office, this indeed is a change of use.

On a side note, your neighbour sounds like a right tool.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You can get a reflective skin to put on your window- so it looks like a mirror from the outside, but you can see out without difficulty. The way the polarisation works with this though- is its like a blackout blind at night- only inside becomes visible in the dark. Explore the options.

I'd be very hesitant to take action against the neighbour- do you really want to live next door to someone who hates your guts?

Thanks for helpful replies.

Having done a bit more searching I see that using a flat roof of an extension as a balcony or roof garden requires planning permission:

(From Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CC (but repeated elsewhere):

"Can I build a balcony / roof garden on my extension without permission?
    No - specifically excluded from exemption by Part 1, Schedule 2, Column 2, Condition 7."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Having done a bit more searching I see that using a flat roof of an extension as a balcony or roof garden requires planning permission:

No - specifically excluded from exemption by Part 1, Schedule 2, Column 2, Condition 7."
    Have you any interest in answering my questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

The question is whether sitting on a roof changes it into a roof garden. I would have thought that a roof garden or balcony would be defined as having some kind of physical features characteristic of those things. The presence of a person I wouldn't have thought changes a roof into a balcony or garden.

Advertisement