Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Comparative Essay

• 04-06-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭

I literally have never done a comparative essay but I've studies my 3 texts, the themes and a few key points. Does anyone have any tips to help me please? Stressing out here. O.o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Just relax. Look at it from the view of the two style of questions. Theme and issue and then the Cultural Context.

For T&I, go through the main themes that reoccur in each text, and contrast and compare between each one.

For CC, explain how the settings in each text affects the main characters (this is usually the kind of question that comes up), and compare and contrast within each text.

The main thing is to just remember to compare the three texts in each point you make. Language of comparison comes in key here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Remember to link them together, rather than narrate the 3 texts back to the examiner, link them with things like "however in X...", "similarly in Y" etc.
    Also if you do one with a part (i) and part (ii) you can answer on just one text for (i) and then the other 2 for (ii), generally!
    Plus, we've been told if the question says "answer on at least two studied texts" (or something to that effect) then you can base your answer on two texts, as long as the third is mentioned. Could be wrong on that bit though, as I've never done it.

How long is everyone planning on making theirs, I can't even remember how long my mock one was, maybe 5ish pages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I have a thread on it somewhere. Click my name and find threads started by me, try and find your way through all the BS there and find it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Great, thanks. =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Thataone wrote: »
    How long is everyone planning on making theirs, I can't even remember how long my mock one was, maybe 5ish pages?

I always aim for around 4ish, little lower usually, but I'm a slow enough writer and usually I'm just winging the questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

How many quotes do we need I have heard of people using no quotes before.
    I haven't gone through much of this question I focused way too much on poetry and Macbeth.

mossy95 wrote: »
    How many quotes do we need I have heard of people using no quotes before.
    I haven't gone through much of this question I focused way too much on poetry and Macbeth.

No quotes needed, focus is rather on key moments. Quotes will help but aren't necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

I've a feeling Cultural Context and Theme will come up but I think they'll throw a curve ball by including Lit Genre in some way, for example "Discuss how the authors of at least two texts use specific tools to highlight a theme."

Something along those lines came up in my mocks I think?

Advertisement