Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**2013 English Paper 1 official thread**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Happy enough overall. I did Q A from text 1 and text B from text 2. It was picking which B was the lesser of all three evils to be honest, didn't really like any of them but I think it ok. For the essay I did the reunion one, wrote about 2 men (1 who has Crohn's disease and 1 who had leukaemia) who met in hospital as teenagers and were meeting up for the first time after 15 years! Wrote 6 pages, wasn't keen on my ending but I'm always overly critical on my short stories!

Taking a short break then straight into Paper 2. :)

I take it your short story was a light hearted comical piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

woopah92 wrote: »
    I take it your short story was a light hearted comical piece?

Yes, as are all of my short stories! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I was on the verge of mentioning 50 Shades of Grey myself, but I held back. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Straight Talking Online Frank

Anyone else do the speech on heroism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Everyone talking about light hearted pieces and I did a story about the essential class war between rich and poor characterised by a rich wall street banker and Marxist writer discussing whether their lives are worth more than the thousands being executed across Europe. Hmmmm at least it will stick out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Am I the only one who did a descriptive essay on glimpsed moments? I had done an essay that fit that title so perfectly i practically wrote it word for word, I'd say half the country did the talk on Tv/Radio, But still I'm quite happy :)

I absolutely LOVED that essay title! So fun if you're good at descriptive pieces, I literally got to describe every minute aspect of random brief 2 second moments and glimpses into peoples lives. So happy with it! :D

What format did you do it though? I'm worried I did a weird format, it was all like "You're walking down a busy central street in a major city... you see this, you see that blah blah blah", not sure how that'll go down :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

It was like a paper from the early 2000s which were like write an essay on the importance of the legal system in Ireland.

I think if I was in 4th year looking at todays paper I would do ord for the next 2 years and aim to pass it. As you can get do better in so many other subjects without having to kill your self like english

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Sporty_Kate

Yes, I went against the motion!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

So did I

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

I did

• Advertisement

eoinoc2509 wrote: »
    So did I

yeah, so did i, got 4 and a half pages out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

D_s wrote: »
    I absolutely LOVED that essay title! So fun if you're good at descriptive pieces, I literally got to describe every minute aspect of random brief 2 second moments and glimpses into peoples lives. So happy with it! :D

What format did you do it though? I'm worried I did a weird format, it was all like "You're walking down a busy central street in a major city... you see this, you see that blah blah blah", not sure how that'll go down :p

In 2010 there was an essay on 24 hours in a city and I had done well in that and I had taken the format of going through the day from different incidents in different people's lives and I basically reproduced that essay, starting at night I did like a little boy, a business man, a fast food worker, a mother, an elderly couple and just went through 24 basically, it was such a nice title :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Yeah I did that, tbh I hated the essay titles and that was the only one that gave me scope. I was caught for time at the end, but I was happy enough with what I wrote:)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SolitaireX

I was on the verge of mentioning 50 Shades of Grey myself, but I held back. :P

I mentioned not only 50 shades of grey but the twilight series and snookis biography!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Did text 3 on the Station, Q1 on the tele and essay on heroes nowadays. Was fairly happy overall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

Very awkward paper I thought. Question B's were difficult and hard to work on. Composing was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

I did short story on reunion. About a North Korean woman who is taking away by secret police to a gulag and her son is in shock and basically goes crazy and starts saying he hates kim youn un. He is then taken to a gulag where he is reunited with his mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

My A and B were fine, botched up the composing though, hoping for a nice paper 2 to make up for it *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭200c200c

Thought all the Q.A's were awful.. Managed to do q.A on text 2 and it went ok nothing spectacular ! Did Q.B on text 1 which was the talk -I treated it much like a speech and I think it went really well :) I even managed to mention the bog and some personal stuff which i hope the examiner will find amusing :) Did the short story about the reunion used exactly the same as my mock but changed it slightly . Overall wasn't a bad paper but I know it didn't suit a lot of people .The question A's really annoyed me !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 C_Merr

Got 6 pages for the essay, which was a hobby essay linked to a reunion, got 3 pages on text 2 question A, and 2 pages for question B on text 3!

Not too sure how it went to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Tbh, section 1 text A was phrased badly. That's the one I did and it had me second guessing myself! Text B qB was too easy. I babbled on. For composing Usually my skill lies with short stories but I went with the speech instead as it seemed to sit with a speech I had wrote previously but I am worried I have lost my chances at my A...
    I did the speech on agreeing the age we are in is unheroic. I based it on the current state of our country, describing the frustration with the villians(government, the rich etc) of the country and the injust on ordinary people. I twisted it at the end toward the superhero angle and how we are the heroes (cringe)..
    Was I way off???????

Feel like curling up and dying. Was finished at 12.15 and all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

Yeah I did, thought it was good at the time but thinking now was pretty generic ideas. "We are all heroes" etc.. zzzz :(

NellyDean wrote: »
    Yeah I did, thought it was good at the time but thinking now was pretty generic ideas. "We are all heroes" etc.. zzzz :(

yep, didn't want to go down that line but my speech kinda lead there. I wrote that peoples view of the past was warped and how society today is heroic, not a great speech but not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EvM

yep, didn't want to go down that line but my speech kinda lead there. I wrote that peoples view of the past was warped and how society today is heroic, not a great speech but not too bad.

That's kind of like what I did. I was fairly happy with the composition.

Going out of the exam, I was fairly happy. I'm not going for a really high mark in English or anything so I'm just happy that I thought of stuff to write, but I was just reading back over some of the questions there and I think I might have answered some of them wrongly :/.

I did A from text 3, on GCS, and for the imagery question I talked about how they were effective in conveying the grandeur and atmosphere, rather than why they were striking :S.

I also did the B part of text 2, writing the book introduction, and I think I might have rambled a bit too much on how hero characters were unrealistic and how no one can relate to them, and I only really tied the celebrating ordinary people bit in at the end. Hopefully it turns out well..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Me! I said that the role of a hero in society has evolved but our expectations of what a hero is is still unchanged meaning that the heroes of today are over looked, also said that this was the era of the local community hero, eg the neighbour who raises money every year for charity etc.

I tried not to make it generic and soppy but it sort of ended up like that so...

EvM wrote: »
    That's kind of like what I did. I was fairly happy with the composition.

Going out of the exam, I was fairly happy. I'm not going for a really high mark in English or anything so I'm just happy that I thought of stuff to write, but I was just reading back over some of the questions there and I think I might have answered some of them wrongly :/.

I did A from text 3, on GCS, and for the imagery question I talked about how they were effective in conveying the grandeur and atmosphere, rather than why they were striking :S.

I also did the B part of text 2, writing the book introduction, and I think I might have rambled a bit too much on how hero characters were unrealistic and how no one can relate to them, and I only really tied the celebrating ordinary people bit in at the end. Hopefully it turns out well..

yeah i say that part b was the most difficult question on the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

For heroism I wrote about Donal Walsh, Alex Ferguson,etc.. I heard that examiners like to correct things that have been recently in the limelight in the media so I decided to include these in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Did question a on grand central station, b on radio and tv and the essay on storytelling in songs and music. Thought the paper wasn't too bad, my part b wasn't exactly how I planned it, and my timing was abysmal but sure we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

SecondMan wrote: »
    For heroism I wrote about Donal Walsh, Alex Ferguson,etc.. I heard that examiners like to correct things that have been recently in the limelight in the media so I decided to include these in :)
    I wrote about Donal Walsh too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

NellyDean wrote: »
    I wrote about Donal Walsh too :)

Is my brain just completely fried..or are you the female servant at Thrushcross Grange?

Advertisement