Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**2013 English Paper 1 official thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

My first first of my comprehension just made no sense what so ever! :pac: Don't ask what I was on about!

Then my essay was a major snooze fest! Thank god I don't get these papers back! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Did question A from Text 3, and B from Text 2. Didn't really like the section at all to be honest. Usually I'm quite comfortable with the section but I thought the questions were awkward and just didn't suit me. Was quite fond of the essay titles though, did #3 and wrote about a manager in a shipment company being forced in to drug-running because his children were being kept hostage. Interesting stuff, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Just remembered that in the talk I said: "us teenagers don't listen to the radio for the actual talk-show - we're not interested in mammys ringing up Joe Duffy asking why her son had blood on his top after school. How the hell is poor Joe supposed to know." Why oh why did I do that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

SecondMan wrote: »
    Just remembered that in the talk I said: "us teenagers don't listen to the radio for the actual talk-show - we're not interested in mammys ringing up Joe Duffy asking why her son had blood on his top after school. How the hell is poor Joe supposed to know." Why oh why did I do that :(

Oh sh1te I said the opposite, i said radio shows like Pat Kenny's and Joe Duffy's informed us teenagers of current affairs so we are always in the loop about whats happening in the world around us which influences our views on people and places.. >.< I'd have rather said what you said tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

No newspaper article for the composing! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

SecondMan wrote: »
    Is my brain just completely fried..or are you the female servant at Thrushcross Grange?
    Yeah that's me allright :)

Sorry for being such a long winded narrator but don't blame me for the confusingness of the ongoings.. I did warn Catherine not to give her baby the same name as herself :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭inthezone

The moment I opened the paper I scanned it for a speech or a talk (because I hate learning formats) and I was in luck! So I did the A question from Text 2 and the B question from Text 1.

Now a problem arose when I answered one of the questions wrongly on Text 2. I only noticed this once I'd already wrote two paragraphs, and that really set me back on time, so I had to redo that particular question. Luckily I finished up my composition right on the buzzer of 12:20 :D I did the short story about a reunion, for the record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Oh sh1te I said the opposite, i said radio shows like Pat Kenny's and Joe Duffy's informed us teenagers of current affairs so we are always in the loop about whats happening in the world around us which influences our views on people and places.. >.< I'd have rather said what you said tbh.

I just remembered there, I don't think I mentioned radio except for the opening line .:(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mariecxx

lets hope paper 2 is nice !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Sporty_Kate

NellyDean wrote: »
    I wrote about Donal Walsh too :)

Me 3! Hopefully it goes down well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Although the general consensus seems to be that was a nice paper, I'm still disagreeing and saying it was the hardest in a long time! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

I'll basically sum up what I said in a few lines so people can compare.

Q A on Grand Central Station:
    (i) Different media sources used it to convey a story, it tells it's own story, she seems to love the place herself "a graceful dance"
    (ii) The empty station image, the picture of the light shining in, and the lady from Connecticut and how the writer will likely never see her again but they still had a connection and a common journey.
    (iii) She knows the architectural history, she knows the movies that feature it, she has a favourite room, she's writing an article about Grand Central because she has a passion for the place.

Q B on Television and Film in teens lives: "Television and radio are dying. Video killed the radio star, and media is evolving. The stories are still the same, but when you watch Home and Away it's one sided consumership. When I watch the news online, I can comment and give my view. Only time will tell how this new idea of media will affect us and I can't wait to see."

Composing [Write a personal essay about the tension you find between the everyday treadmill and the gilded promises of life]:

- I'm doing my LC, in a competitive society.
    - No idea what's ahead.
    - I know what I don't want to happen.
    - I could be married with kids before the decade is up and that's scary.
    - Must act fast to enjoy it! Don't want to end up in the treadmill myself.
    - Feelings blah blah blah.

Could have done better, especially in the Composing. Was quite a vague paper and I wish it had more substance to it. Fingers crossed that Paper 2 is nice to compensate! Wouldn't mind Shakespeare to come up, really love doing Qs on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

I reckon that if most think it was easy then the examiners surely knew it was easy as they wrote it out so in my opinion I feel they made paper to be difficult so there's a difficulty balance between P1 and P2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

HugsiePie wrote: »
    No newspaper article for the composing! :(
    yea man that was a big let down i was really hoping for one they ended up giving us 1 article only and i had no choice but to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

For one of the questions on the cliffhanger text, I said why the images were effective, but the question was how they help develop the understanding of what a cliffhanger is. Do you reckon I would have lost many marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aarondoc

Talked about Dexter,Breaking Bad,Deadmau5 and Led Zeppelin... Wasn't expecting that knowledge of any of them would help me haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

aarondoc wrote: »
    Talked about Dexter,Breaking Bad,Deadmau5 and Led Zeppelin... Wasn't expecting that knowledge of any of them would help me haha

hahah i'm the exact same, I talked about the Big Bang Theory,Geordie Shore, How I met your mother, New Girl and Dont trust the B in Apt 23. I swear if the examiner doesn't know these shows im pretty much effed. I referenced them all along trying to be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

About the treadmill personal speech , Q5 I believe it was.
    I wrote about laziness, lack of motivation, money issues, achievements etc. anyone who has done that personal essay think I went about it right, or wrong? As I seem someone else has done it completely different to me :s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Tommyrawr wrote: »

at was my take too - radio made current affairs more accessible to young people... twasn't my finest moment I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SmidgeBall

Did the personal essay about story telling in music and pretty music recycled all of my knowledge from Leaving Cert music along with music I like myself, talking about various artists and quoting their music and was so grand :P Although it's not the best paper 1 I've done I think that's entirely my fault as, to be fair, as a paper it wasn't that bad and I feel I can't complain. As a theme I thought it was quite nice and the compositions were quite broad. I even managed to quote captain hammer from Dr. Horrible in my question B :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I wrote about laziness, lack of motivation, money issues, achievements etc. anyone who has done that personal essay think I went about it right, or wrong? As I seem someone else has done it completely different to me :s

I used the treadmill as a symbol of everyday life and the gilded promises as the dreams etc. we want to achieve, went on how about how most of the time life is dull, bland, routine etc. with us hoping for these promises to materialise. Tbh don't sweat it, the essay title itself is a metaphor, I don't know if I interpreted it right or you did but it's so vague they'll have to allow a liberal interpretation in the marking scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

This should answer your Q: http://leavingcertenglish.net/2011/04/personal-essay/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

For one of the questions on the cliffhanger text, I said why the images were effective, but the question was how they help develop the understanding of what a cliffhanger is. Do you reckon I would have lost many marks?

Yeah I think I may have done something similar..

We'll probably lose marks for purpose anyway. I dunno why but those questions were hard to get your head around.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 drbat

damn so many people found it easy too...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I did text 1 for question A. I was answering the question on how the images help me understand cliff hangers.

I started talking about the second pic of the boy hanging over a ledge and said:
    "I found myself looking at the image and pondering 'did anyone save the boy?' (until, of course, I realised the photographer probably pulled him back up after he took the photo)."
    I hope the examiner likes my sarcasm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Is blackmail a form of manipulation? My manipulation story involved blackmail rather than puppet master pulling strings manipulation...am I ****ed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SmidgeBall

Can someone tell me how a personal essay is marked actually? I'm unsure... Like... can it be waffly :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

For the question B on 'talk you would give to your classmates about role of Tv and radio on young people' I have just realized that I only talked about TV on young people. Will I get marked down severely for not talking about radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hiiiisam

Got a mini heart attack when I saw there was no diary entry! Ended up doing the touristy thing on Temple Bar. Never did an article before so hopefully I did okay.
    Probably spent way too much time on the Question A - my part (i) was nearly a page and a half! Better have gotten the full 15 marks :P
    Chose the reunion essay and styled it on the essay I did on my pre which I got 85/100 in, got about 5 pages done :)

Glad it went well enough because I want to cry after Home Ec...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

mossy95 wrote: »
    For the question B on 'talk you would give to your classmates about role of Tv and radio on young people' I have just realized that I only talked about TV on young people. Will I get marked down severely for not talking about radio?

I imagine the marking scheme would be something like, "expect students to talk about both aspects but not necessarily equally". That's what I'm hoping for anyway, 'cause my main points were on tv, with radio just thrown in a few times to cover myself.
    Don't dwell on it anyway. It's over now! :D

Advertisement