Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords & Adjoining Neighbours

Options
  • 04-06-2013 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Just wanted to get peoples opinion on points related to landlords and adjoining neighbours:

If an issues arose regarding a tenanted house, would it be etiquette or a requirement to contact the landlord first before approaching the tenants themselves? or would mentioning it to the tenants first be ok?

What redress or mechanisms exist in Ireland to protect neighbours in adjoining houses where issues arise with tenants and say the issues were not resolved by either the tenants or landlord.

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Knock into the tenants first, especially if its something like a noise complaint or about bins / pets etc..

Its quite rude and childish imo to go straight to the landlord / gards etc...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Razorfish wrote: »
    What redress or mechanisms exist in Ireland to protect neighbours in adjoining houses where issues arise with tenants and say the issues were not resolved by either the tenants or landlord.

If after you approach the tenant and landlord you are having problems with anti social behaviour and the tenant/landlord are not addressing the issue you can file a complaint with the PRTB. If you give details of the issue we would be better able to offer advice

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Razorfish

Thanks for your replies. I don't want to go into too much detail as I've spent the day replying to the landlords emails and don't want to inflame the situation further. I was bemused by his threat of solicitors letters and that I was trespassing. And this resulted from pleasantly talking to his tenants once on Friday evening to resolve a minor issue.

He ascertains that approaching his tenants disrupts them from "the enjoyment" of his property and that I have no right to communicate with them on issues relating to his house (an adjoining house), my next door neighbours. I should only communicate with him on these issues.

The issue suffice to say is resolved but such drama. :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Razorfish wrote: »
    He ascertains that approaching his tenants disrupts them from "the enjoyment" of his property and that I have no right to communicate with them on issues relating to his house (an adjoining house), my next door neighbours. I should only communicate with him on these issues.

LOL. His grasp on peoples rights seems questionable. Glad it is resolved.

BTW you would only be trespassing if the tenant specifically asked you to leave and you refused or else if you were prowling

Advertisement