Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Hosting Costs

Options
  • 04-06-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I have been asked by my boss to try lower the cost of our website hosting and maintenance. Currently we are paying €400 per year for hosting, maintenance and website back up.
    This seems a little high to me. We are a small firm (8 employees) and we have 10 email addresses. TBH our website is only there to advertise that we exist. It has absolutly function bar that.
    Can anyone recommend a company that could bring that cost down a bit?

Sorry if I havnt provided enough info. Im about the most 'tech savy' employee in the office but website hosting isnt something I know much about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Try register 365.... From only €2.46 per month.....

http://www.register365.com/hosting.html

They should be able to help you out....

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

Hogzy wrote: »
    Currently we are paying €400 per year for hosting, maintenance and website back up.
    This seems a little high to me. We are a small firm (8 employees) and we have 10 email addresses. TBH our website is only there to advertise that we exist. It has absolutly function bar that.
    Can anyone recommend a company that could bring that cost down a bit?

Sorry if I havnt provided enough info. Im about the most 'tech savy' employee in the office but website hosting isnt something I know much about.
    Hosting and domain name (assuming that is covered in the costs) - fixed costs, which do not add up to 400e.
    However, it depends what the maintenence covers, to judge whether it is a little high or not.
    Re back up, potentially you could look after this yourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Zonua wrote: »
    Hosting and domain name (assuming that is covered in the costs) - fixed costs, which do not add up to 400e.
    However, it depends what the maintenence covers, to judge whether it is a little high or not.
    Re back up, potentially you could look after this yourselves?

Thats what I was thinking too. Our whole client database is held on an internal server in the office. Surely this would have the potential to back up the site. TBH there is nothing on the site that needs backing up. Its literally a few pages about the company, our agenda and what we aim to be. And a brief page detailing our employees, who they are and where they have worked/been educated etc.

The important question really is: If I find a new hosting company can the website be migrated to the new company easily? Can they do all the work. There really has to be MINIMAL intrusion on the website and company email.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

Hogzy wrote: »

The important question really is: If I find a new hosting company can the website be migrated to the new company easily? Can they do all the work. There really has to be MINIMAL intrusion on the website and company email.

I would recommend going with one of the big Irish hosting companies like Register 365 or Blacknight. They offer great support, but won't actually do all the work - it might be best to get a web developer or someone with IT knowledge to help you. Your site might be down for thirty minutes. If you use Outlook or mail on smartphones etc, then you would need to update with the new settings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

As Zonua has pointed out, €400p/a may not be a lot depending on what you mean by maintenance. Does that price include support, setting up new users/email accounts etc.

You almost certainly can cut that cost down by moving to a new host, providing your own support, setting up your own email accounts etc etc etc.

Is the potential saving worth the risk to your website/email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Personally I don't think 400 euro is too bad for hosting, support and maintenance.

Yes you can get much cheaper but it all depends on how much value you place on your support and maintenance.

Cheap hosting is great until something goes wrong and your website and email are down!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Zonua wrote: »
    I would recommend going with one of the big Irish hosting companies like Register 365 or Blacknight.
    FYI Register365 is not an Irish company :)

We are, however, 100% Irish owned

Blacknight wrote: »
    FYI Register365 is not an Irish company :)

We are, however, 100% Irish owned

Is www.letshost.ie an Irish owned company?
    They charge from €3.95 p.m , whereas BlackNight start at €4.95 p.m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Webcorecloud. com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Is www.letshost.ie an Irish owned company?
    AFAIK yes
    They charge from €3.95 p.m , whereas BlackNight start at €4.95 p.m

That's not true.

Letshost charge €7.95 / month if you pay monthly, whereas we charge €4.95

We both offer cheaper per month pricing if you pre-pay longer periods ie. signup for 3 years

• Advertisement

Blacknight wrote: »
    AFAIK yes

That's not true.

Letshost charge €7.95 / month if you pay monthly, whereas we charge €4.95

We both offer cheaper per month pricing if you pre-pay longer periods ie. signup for 3 years

Thanks for the heads up....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Graham wrote: »
    As Zonua has pointed out, €400p/a may not be a lot depending on what you mean by maintenance. Does that price include support, setting up new users/email accounts etc.

You almost certainly can cut that cost down by moving to a new host, providing your own support, setting up your own email accounts etc etc etc.

Is the potential saving worth the risk to your website/email?

I am with Graham on this one. It seems the current provider keeps it running and manages the email accounts including additions and deletions plus the hosting. 400 quid a year seems pretty reasonable amount to pay... If your email goes down, you would be happy to pay plenty to get it back up pronto! If you don't have the in house expertise, and what you have now works well, go look elsewhere to save the few bob.... There are some great SME mobile phone deals around at the moment! Also ESB , gas, insurance etc etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hi folks,

Just FYI, discussion on Web Hosting and their packages is no longer permitted on Boards.
    You'll see the charter has been updated here, with reference to the background behind this decision.

Thanks in advance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement