Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigs

Options
  • 04-06-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm going to be rearing a few pigs with 2 neighbours and I,m looking for a bit of info from someone with the experience. I've read some of the threads on here already, just have a few other questions.

We are thinging of rearing 4, and killing one after a few months, the other 3 would go to full size.

I was thinking of building one shed roughly 16ft*16ft, is that big enough and what type of floor is best.

Are the smaller arks u see advertised a better option than one big shed. How do u clean out the pig **** from the arks.

We are going to grow stuff to feed them, mainly turnips, swedes and radishes. Will they eat freshly cut grass, I have a big lawn.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

What breed? British saddleback?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Haven't decided on the breed yet, leaving that to the neighbour, she wants pink pigs so prob Tamworth or some cross breed of that.

Thats another bit of advice we need, what would be the best breed for hams, I want to try and do a parma type ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cloudroost

I've kept pigs for a few years now, so I'll try to answer your questions....

I'm not sure how the partnership will work, but the keeper of the pigs will need a pig number. In terms of the house, 16x16 is probably too big - I've been keeping 2 in a 6x4 house for a few years now and it's plenty big. There is no need for a floor, throw sone straw on the earth and they'll be perfect. No need to clean out the house, they are clean creatures and will s**t outside the house. Feeding wise, I don't think veg alone will do the business - We feed them pig meal supplemented with veg (not the other way around).
    In terms of the breeds, we've had tamworths and they are a bit lively (good at escaping) and the ones we had got too fat (possibly our fault, but I'm not so sure....). Currently we have Gloster Old Spot crossed with a duroc - we've had these before and they are nice and placid and don't get over fat.
    Hope this helps....

Cheers Cloudroost, thanks for your help.

What type of pig meal and where do u get it, if u don't mind me asking. Didn't realise they will just **** outside, that makes the job a lot easier.

Re the size of the shed, thats 6ft * 4ft, is that big enough for 2 pigs?

I'm currently getting my pig meal from Kerry co-op, although most suppliers of animal feed will have it - you can get it in pellet form (feed as is) or in meal form (I typically add a bit of water).
    In terms of my pig house, yes 6x4 is fine fine for my 2 (currently on our 4th pair). I only let then get to about 7 months however - any older and the fat would start to pile on (especially for the traditional breeds).

• Advertisement

Thanks again Cloudroost, do u know if they will eat the freshly cut grass.

I've given mine grass in the past and they are happy to eat it..

Cheers mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Can I jump in lads..

I'm looking for two weaners, old spot or saddle back or similar.. I'm in the north-east but willing to travel a bit... I have a pig number and all, just the two suppliers we've used before have stopped rearing and we can't seem to get them anywhere..

And yes... they eat the grass just fine.

I source mine on donedeal but at this time of the year they sell quickly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

cloudroost wrote: »
    I source mine on donedeal but at this time of the year they sell quickly...

Same but there has bee nothing in the northern half of the country in recent times... :(

If anyone comes across I'd appreciate a PM..

They'll be going to a good home, an understanding butcher and a nice cold freezer.:D

Advertisement