Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloaded youtube clips not playing?

• 04-06-2013 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Any downloaded youtube video clips are not playing for me this evening (flv, mp4 files etc) with either realplayer or vlc player. On realplayer they are running (can see the timer going) but theres no sound or video. On vlc they don't start at all.

Streaming videos via youtube itself is working. Also previously downloaded clips are ok with realplayer and vlc player. With Eircom for BB. Any ideas whats wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi

Have you saved them to your hard drive? If you do then make a copy and save to an external source e.g. Flash drive or DVD+/-RW dosc and try running them from there. Also try running them on Windows Media Player.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Sounds like the program your using the download the video can no longer grab onto the correct stream and is just filling it with zeros or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi

Have you saved them to your hard drive? If you do then make a copy and save to an external source e.g. Flash drive or DVD+/-RW dosc and try running them from there. Also try running them on Windows Media Player.

Regards

Saved them to my hard drive plus to a USB stick. Also tried Windows Media Player. No luck.

Got the following message in the Windows Media Player:
    Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.
    Originally posted by mad turnip: Sounds like the program your using the download the video can no longer grab onto the correct stream and is just filling it with zeros or something similar.

Using Real Downloader. Uninstalled and reinstalled it. A clip downloads as normal. Just cant play stuff downloaded today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi

In theory if you are using Real Down loader then there should be no issue with Real Player and I am very surprised that Windows Media Player will not either. Something is not right here. Have you tried to run the downloaded files on another PC or laptop?

It might be no harm to update the drivers for your sound and video card and also to update DirectX to the latest runtime environment along with Adobe flash and shockwave players. It might also be an idea to check the video settings for any changes. I would also suggest you try QuickTime player from Apple as an alternative media player and see if that works. Worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

Exactly how are you downloading the Youtube vids? I'm with Digiweb, 8Mb down at the moment, and I'm testing using JDownloader (grabbing a 720p MP4)...and it works (VLC 2.0.6).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi

In theory if you are using Real Down loader then there should be no issue with Real Player and I am very surprised that Windows Media Player will not either. Something is not right here. Have you tried to run the downloaded files on another PC or laptop?

It might be no harm to update the drivers for your sound and video card and also to update DirectX to the latest runtime environment along with Adobe flash and shockwave players. It might also be an idea to check the video settings for any changes. I would also suggest you try QuickTime player from Apple as an alternative media player and see if that works. Worth a look.

Tried Quicktime too. Same issue as realplayer. Runs, but no sound or video. Since previously downloaded material plays ok, it looks like a download issue? Didnt get a chance to try these files on another PC yet. I'll try tomorrow if I can.
    Originally posted by RikuoAmero: Exactly how are you downloading the Youtube vids? I'm with Digiweb, 8Mb down at the moment, and I'm testing using JDownloader (grabbing a 720p MP4)...and it works (VLC 2.0.6).
    Just using realdownloader. Hover cursor over the video when its running in youtube, ‘download this video’ tab pops up and then just click on that. Videos are saved to my HDD. As a workaround for the moment I’m streaming within the vlc player and using it to download stuff. Flv files etc downloaded this way are playing back ok.

Advertisement