Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a single person change from RAS to rent allowance?

Options
  • 04-06-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi Does anybody know if a single person can change from Ras to rent allowance ? iv been been offered a Flat by Ras in a bad area. I'm with Ras for years but its impossible to work with them,Ras are a nitemare to work with,they have said if I don't accept their 2nd & final offer im off their Housing list,im in danger of becoming homeless, landlords don't want to know about Ras ! I have been trying for months now & not one is interested ! I want to go back to Rent Allowence but I was wondering will I be turned down by Rent allowence because iv been offered a flat by RAS? will rent allowance take me back on? any help would be appreciated ,thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You won't get RA after been removed from the list after 2 refusals of accommodation ,
    Frankly I wouldnt be cutting off my nose to spite my face ,

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html
    You won’t qualify for Rent Supplement if you:
    Have refused a second offer of local authority accommodation in an 12-month period. In this case, you cannot claim Rent Supplement for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

good vibes wrote: »
    Hi Does anybody know if a single person can change from Ras to rent allowance ? iv been been offered a Flat by Ras in a bad area. I'm with Ras for years but its impossible to work with them,Ras are a nitemare to work with,they have said if I don't accept their 2nd & final offer im off their Housing list,im in danger of becoming homeless, landlords don't want to know about Ras ! I have been trying for months now & not one is interested ! I want to go back to Rent Allowence but I was wondering will I be turned down by Rent allowence because iv been offered a flat by RAS? will rent allowance take me back on? any help would be appreciated ,thank you.

Fair enough you dont like the area but think about it you are getting it for free. What do you want !

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fair enough you dont like the area but think about it you are getting it for free. What do you want !
    Not free, the tenant still has to pay part of the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Victor wrote: »
    Not free, the tenant still has to pay part of the rent.

and that money comes from the state. So it is free. Its just another roundabout way of giving it to the individual.

Thats also an interesting point I got a letter from my council saying with RAS no top ups from the tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some people on low wages are entitled to avail of the scheme.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/rental_accommodation_scheme.html
    You may continue to contribute to your rent but you pay this contribution to your local authority, not to your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I thought if you were on RAS, you were automatically removed from the Housing List anyway? :confused:
    It's either Ras OR stay on the housing list-you can't have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Beggars can't be choosers at the end of the day...bad area -v- homeless. I know what I'd choose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

People on the RAS schemes pay more rent than if they were getting rent allowance, they usually pay rent at the council rate which works out at about €30 per week and with rent allowance the claimants contribution is far less at about €13 per week.

You would have picked certain areas of preference when you applied for the RAS scheme and can reasonably refuse accommodation in well known areas of anti social behaviour, drug crime etc. What was wrong with the first offer? what is wrong with this new offer? you need to make a case for refusing to have any chance of being allowed to refuse. You can't just refuse because you don't like the area but if it is say miles away from where you have lived for most your life it would be unreasonable to insist on you moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭good vibes

Thanks for the replies.im being moved from south side of Dublin to the north side of Dublin.iv lived all my life in the south side ,my Family & friends all live in the south side.it is miles away ,& yes I do think its
    unreasonable to insist on moving me to the north side.do I have any grounds to refuse the 2nd offer without being taken off the council list? if im taken off the list I would be made homeless ! also does any body have any Info on the iveagh thrust accommodation ?

• Advertisement

South side/north side of where?

Dublin

Dublin

To be honest you are not more than a bus journey from the area you grew up in but you should talk to the council and maybe a local councillor or TD and see what can be done. Obviously there must be more properties available on the north side and probably quite a bit cheaper than the southside.

Ras are telling me there's no Apartments\Flats available on the south side,i wanted to stay where I currently live until I found another place on the south side,they have givin me no Notice,& I am being pressurised & forced into moving to the north side, thats what I object to !! any other advice on Ras there Foggy? are you familiar with the iveagh trust Housing scheme ? thx again...

Dublin
    Is this Dublin city council? I can't imagine sdcc would be moving you to Fingal?

Yes its the Rental accommodation Scheme on Dublin city council.still wondering if I have any grounds for a good case to refuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Where on the northside to where on the southside? Dublin isnt that big in fairness.

Op you appear to have a preference for this iveagh trust place but I doubt there are flats/apartments available there or if there are then they may be outside the budget of the ras scheme. Have you asked the city council about the iveagh trust place? If the distance was something like South circular Rd to North circular Rd you have little chance of getting an exemption imho.

the distance is greater that scr to Ncr.. iveagh trust is also affordable housing, what is exemption imho? thx...

I know plenty of working people who can't afford to live where they grew up and where there friends are. I'm not sure why you think someone whose home is largely paid for by others should expect better.Dublin city isn't even that big.

• Advertisement

I am working! I don't need your Personal opinion ! I didn't ask for it! so keep your negative comments to your self!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The problem you face is that you are trying to argue that it is unreasonable to expect you to accept housing and move to the opposite side of what is a relatively small city, when in all fairness its not that unreasonable at all. There are a lot of people who cannot live in the area that they would prefer to live in but thats just a fact of life; Id imagine that is the way your case will be seen. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you find somewhere nearer to where you would like to live, but dont be surprised if you are told that you have been offered a house and to either take it or leave it.

I am working! I don't need your Personal opinion ! I didn't ask for it! so keep your negative comments to your self!
    You're on a public forum. You want to live somewhere paid for largely by others (or you wouldn't be on RAS) and are being fussy about where it is and asking us to help you get what you want. You don't want my personal opinion but you're happy to accept my taxes in the form of a subsidised home. That much would be ok with me tbh, but to then turn your nose up at what you've been offered because it's "too far from friends and family" sort of sticks in people's throats...especially people who have had to leave the country completely to keep the roof over their family's heads (yes, I have friends who have to work abroad most of the year to pay the mortgage back home and are missing their kids childhoods).

is that the best you can do murph? Really? oh my heart bleeds for you ! Pathetic! yes I was looking for advice I was looking for positive advice & I got a lot of good advice you where the only one to post me Negative nonsense ! there's always one ! it always make me laugh when I see sad individual's like yourself snooping around websites just so they can stir up trouble! go ahead !enjoy your self ! Because il just be laughing at your ignorance ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You've been given constructive advice, you just don't like it. If you want empty affirmation, this isn't the place for it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I am being pressurised & forced into moving to the north side,

Which is still a better place to live with more facilities than about 80% of the rest of the country.

tbh I think you have a chip on your shoulder about the northside , its not as bad as people make it out to be , and tbh considering your getting a cheap gaf to live in I wouldn't be complaining.

They could always send you to moyross in limerick...

So you see I'm not the only one who has a problem with you turning your nose up at perfectly good accommodation that you are happy enough for others to pick up 90% of the tab for. Are you really surprised people might be a little incensed that you are asking for this kind of help? If you want to live in area x and area y is not good enough for you then you'll have to earn enough to pay for your own place in area x.

I'd like a pad on Shrewsbury Road or up on Howth Head with nice sea views but I can't afford it and it seems you can't afford to live where you'd like to, so we both have to settle for what we can afford, eh?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- there are serious attitude problems here.

good vibes- whether you realise it or not, you are coming across as snobby and elitist, and disparaging of any advice that doesn't fir with your plans.

murphaph - I would remind you that if you disagree with what someone posts- refute their post without attacking them.

Good vibes- if you are interested in the Iveagh Trust properties- you are going to have to investigate the rules governing them, and see whether you meet the criterion, and then where you'd be on a waiting list for them.

Please remain civil towards one another.

Im not being snobby & elitist ! I have lived & worked on the northside, iv no problem with the northside.but I have lived most of my life in the southside, I pay my taxes & im entailed to affordable housing, im being Pressurised to take an offer & move with out any notice which is not right! all I asked for was some Positive advice ( which I got),I didn't get personal with anybody before I was Personally attacked! I wont be spoken to in the manner Murph spoke to me! I don't go on to public forum's & start attacking people! Grow up Murph !

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    murphaph - I would remind you that if you disagree with what someone posts- refute their post without attacking them.
    Noted.

If I personally attacked him/her then I apologise for breaking the forum rules and I'll leave it there. My feelings are clear and it's also clear that the majority of posters here support my position.

Advertisement