Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a single person change from RAS to rent allowance?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

good vibes wrote: »
    Im not being snobby & elitist ! I have lived & worked on the northside, iv no problem with the northside.but I have lived most of my life in the southside, I pay my taxes & im entailed to affordable housing, im being Pressurised to take an offer & move with out any notice which is not right! all I asked for was some Positive advice ( which I got),I didn't get personal with anybody before I was Personally attacked! I wont be spoken to in the manner Murph spoke to me! I don't go on to public forum's & start attacking people! Grow up Murph !

I assume you meant entitled, No , you're not. Nobody is entitled to any handouts from the government, people are lucky the government provide RAS or rent allowance, paying taxes does not entitle you to anything, Plenty of people pay tax and are not on RAS or RA that dont expect the government to house them cheaply / for free .

and whatever about being 'entitled' to housing , you or anybody else in this country most certainly aren't 'entitled' to demand the government house them in a block of apartments in south Dublin city center surrounded by hard working people who shell out thousands a month of their own money for the privilege of living around there.

The only positive advice OP that I could give you would be to accept the councils very very generous offer , move in to the northside and work on building up your career so that you can afford to get out from under the welfare blanket and live wherever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭good vibes

yes I am ! im entitled to the same as any man or woman in this country! just because you don't like it doesn't mean its wrong! your entitled to your opinion & im entitled to mine!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- chill.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Again, the problem you face is that you entitled to affordable housing and you are being offered affordable housing. Its not in the postcode that you want to live in, but the council are doing what they are obliged to do and are offering you a place to live. Its up to you whether or not you want to accept it, but if you dont then you have to be prepared for what might entail.

Just be thankful that you are still in the same city as your family and friends. I know plenty of people who had to move to places like Athy, Monesterevin and Portlaoise (and further) because they were the only places that they could afford to live. A bus ride/walk across the city pales in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I assume you meant entitled, No , you're not. Nobody is entitled to any handouts from the government, people are lucky the government provide RAS or rent allowance, paying taxes does not entitle you to anything, Plenty of people pay tax and are not on RAS or RA that dont expect the government to house them cheaply / for free .

and whatever about being 'entitled' to housing , you or anybody else in this country most certainly aren't 'entitled' to demand the government house them in a block of apartments in south Dublin city center surrounded by hard working people who shell out thousands a month of their own money for the privilege of living around there.

The only positive advice OP that I could give you would be to accept the councils very very generous offer , move in to the northside and work on building up your career so that you can afford to get out from under the welfare blanket and live wherever you want.
    ...and when you say "the government" you really mean "other citizens" because the government doesn't pay a cent for anything, it just takes money from some citizens and gives it to others or purchases things (like housing) on their behalf with other citizens money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

When you filled out your housing form you put down the areas you wanted to live the same as the rest of of us on housing lists ,
    ie south of the naas road
    North of the naas road
    And so on and so on ,

You declared you would take offer's of accommodation you've been offered 2 and turned them down already, well for some and as you stated you pay your taxes must mean your in some form of employment ,
    Don't see why you shouldn't take a property anywhere except only where you choose ,if we all took that attitude nobody would ever be housed ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

good vibes wrote: »
    I don't need your Personal opinion ! I didn't ask for it! so keep your negative comments to your self!
    Hilarious post of the week. That's exactly how public forums work. You ask for someone's opinion and they give it. You want something more professional, you go and pay someone for their professional opinion.

You're lucky I don't run this system. You'd get one offer of a free house and the location would be wherever's cheapest. I wouldn't care if it's in Mullingar and your friends and family are in South Dublin. One offer and if you didn't take it, there'd be no second offer.

I think you should take what you're offered, but I know that's not what you want to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What's your issue with the Northside OP? It has every facility you could want. :)
    Nothing wrong with a change of scenery.

People all over Ireland left their towns and parishes to move to cities for work and college. And once they got there it's likely they moved around a few times and rented different places.

Working people from the cities have moved to other counties as they cannot afford to buy local.

To expect to stay in one little area of south Dublin city is a nice goal to have but a little unrealistic. Not everyone gets a great offer of a local council house, there just isn't enough for everyone

Offtopic but the same thing is going on in England with caps on housing allowance and people struggle to stay in their preferred borough.
    http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/tenancies/councils-plan-to-move-tenants-out-of-london/6521606.article
    The council around Fulham & Kensington which is certainly a very nice area is offering to move tenants hundreds of miles away to Nottingham!

Dublin is a small place OP. And bus routes cross the city now. Most places at most 3 buses away and it's likely to be just two.
    But you say "miles away" as if you're getting the train to Thurles every weekend to see friends and family

Advertisement