Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone at Home DNS issues ?

• 04-06-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

Having issues tonight connecting to multiple sites including google and yahoo although boards is not effected.

Could anyone else here on vodafone broadband double check to see if the issue is local here or widespread.

The vodafone DNS server 89.19.64.36 is timing out for me when pinged but very frustratingly there is no way on the vodafone modem to change this. (Unless of course anyone here knows how to get into engineer mode ???)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

are you on fibre now and got that hg658c(pos)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Niska

If its the HG 556, log in using
    un: advanced
    pw:advanced

and you can change the DNS settings there

Advanced Setup -> DNS -> untick "use the Data pvc's DNS'

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jt72

On the VDSL2 HG658c, the way to change your DNS servers is:

Basic -> LAN
    Under the DHCP Server Settings, fill in different values for Primary DNS server address and Secondary DNS server address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Yet again tonight a host of sites started failing to load - boards being one of them. Vodafone DNS experiencing issues.

Managed to reset my DNS to googles DNS servers following Niskas post there and all is well again.

(Other than constantly having to reboot the router to get it to connect but that's another days long story)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

get rid of vodafone they are crap

but i had that problem before it was the splitter between the phone and the broadband line , i rang them they said they downloaded an update on the router and i had to change the splitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

BluesBerry wrote: »
    get rid of vodafone they are crap

but i had that problem before it was the splitter between the phone and the broadband line , i rang them they said they downloaded an update on the router and i had to change the splitter

Yeah - over the past 12-18 months they have concluded at various times ..

Splitter problem
    Internal wiring problem
    Alarm Interference
    External line problem
    Router needs replacing.
    Internal wiring again !
    Then one guy says actually the firmware you are on is prone to causing these issues - he downloads an update to the router which improved things quite a bit.
    Back to splitter problem.
    Must be your Sky Box
    Then the LOL - actually the issue is you have a phone plugged into the router (it has a phone port) this isn't recommended.
    Back to internal wiring issues.

Etc etc etc

Coupled with the random DNS issues I've had enough now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

I have to say I am having similar issues at the minute with Vodafone.
    On monday we noticed that are phone was not working (no dial tone) but the broadband was working. Strange the bb was still working.
    On tuesday the phone was back but now the broadband was off with no dsl connection on the router.
    On wednesday eircom engineer was at the house but said he could not see a problem with the line.
    On thursday still no broadband but i am being told now its internal wiring in the house even though the eircom engineer found nothing wrong when he tested the socket the day previous.
    They now want me to change the socket on the wall because it is not a eircom sooket,eircom wont change it. Not sure what this is going to prove other then wasting a few quid on a new socket.

Suppose I will just have to keep logging a issue till someone figures it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

Change your DNS settings to Google DNS as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Better than VF DNS.
    Also if you are using HG556a update the firmware. Latest firmware has a fix as "Fixes a bug whereby the modem did not automatically failover to the secondary DNS server." according to VF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

New socket tired and as I said waste of time and money. I have tried a Netgear router as well which I was using before getting the Vodafone hg556a router with the settings from Vodafone support page as well as the Google dns settings as suggested and still no joy with getting a connection. I have another call logged with Vodafone but am reluctant to say it will get me closer to finding out the problem.

Advertisement