Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start with Android?

Options
  • 04-06-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Basically several times I've downloaded the SDK, Eclipse etc and then completely forgotten about it or just became lazy. This time I want to give it a real go as I have all summer.

My problem is just I can't make sense of it. I see the code on the screen and I think how am I supposed to memorise all of this and do it without having a tutorial to copy and paste from.

I've dealt with C++ and HTML which I know are completely different but they made sense in my head. I'm the kind of person who once I understand something I'll love it, but until then I'll be frustrated and hate it.

I want to develop android apps and have many ideas (doesn't everyone ;)) and hope to do Computer Science once I go to 3rd level.

So what's the best way to get my head around it? Cheers for any help :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Sounds like you need a book and follow it step by step from scratch to get your head around the basics of android and how it's app life cycle works. Then take it from there with your ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Aspiring wrote: »
    Basically several times I've downloaded the SDK, Eclipse etc and then completely forgotten about it or just became lazy. This time I want to give it a real go as I have all summer.

My problem is just I can't make sense of it. I see the code on the screen and I think how am I supposed to memorise all of this and do it without having a tutorial to copy and paste from.

I've dealt with C++ and HTML which I know are completely different but they made sense in my head. I'm the kind of person who once I understand something I'll love it, but until then I'll be frustrated and hate it.

I want to develop android apps and have many ideas (doesn't everyone ;)) and hope to do Computer Science once I go to 3rd level.

So what's the best way to get my head around it? Cheers for any help :D

Android app development is great fun once you get into it. I'd recommend checking out TheNewBoston's tutorials on Youtube as a starting point, I found them to be very good for learning the basics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUOWNXGRc6g&list=PL3D7BFF1DDBDAAFE5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Cheers lads ill have a look at those videos later. Should I just avoid altogether the WYSIWYG interface in eclipse or is it somewhat useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Aspiring wrote: »
    Cheers lads ill have a look at those videos later. Should I just avoid altogether the WYSIWYG interface in eclipse or is it somewhat useful.

I found it somewhat useful for saving time on simple repetitive tasks but by in large I avoided using it and stuck to the programmatic approach. The WYSIWYG interface is highly limited and there will definitely be times when you need to write or understand code, so best learn it from the beginning. Once you get your head around the basics it becomes much easier! Have you worked with Java before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I found it somewhat useful for saving time on simple repetitive tasks but by in large I avoided using it and stuck to the programmatic approach. The WYSIWYG interface is highly limited and there will definitely be times when you need to write or understand code, so best learn it from the beginning. Once you get your head around the basics it becomes much easier! Have you worked with Java before?

For like a week or two last year I learned the basics and knew it but honestly now I forget it so I might as well be starting from scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

I used this book when I started with Android development. It goes through building two sample apps also.

http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Android-Application-Development-For-Dummies.productCd-047077018X.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Yep get a book on preferably basics of Java first and then focus on android

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Also Eclipse is no longer the preferred Android IDE, look at Android Studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Also Eclipse is no longer the preferred Android IDE, look at Android Studio.
    Android Studio has a long way to go before it can realistically be seen as a 'preferred' IDE. Or even usable, for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,183 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Android Studio has a long way to go before it can realistically be seen as a 'preferred' IDE. Or even usable, for that matter.

what's the story with it?

is it just being pushed by Android, seen it on the site

would it be better to use Eclipse still or Android Studio?

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    would it be better to use Eclipse still or Android Studio?
    Eclipse unfortunately, even though it's bordering on unusable at times now. Android Studio is still only a pre-version 1 preview version and and so it's really not quite there yet.

Eclipse unfortunately, even though it's bordering on unusable at times now. Android Studio is still only a pre-version 1 preview version and and so it's really not quite there yet.

It will also take time to filter into the work place so if your looking for a job developing Android you'll need to know how to use Eclipse.

Android Studio maybe, but the community edition of IntelliJ is still miles ahead of Eclipse.

draffodx wrote: »
    It will also take time to filter into the work place so if your looking for a job developing Android you'll need to know how to use Eclipse.

Any decent development house will be IDE independent. If their builds are not, thats an indicator of some pretty terrible practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭rock22

I am interested in having a look at this. However I at last have a "stable" Eclipse download and I am reluctant to download Android Studio in case it 'will "mess-up" my eclipse environment.
    Anyone got both working on same PC with problems? Or any other advice ?

rock22 wrote: »
    I am interested in having a look at this. However I at last have a "stable" Eclipse download and I am reluctant to download Android Studio in case it 'will "mess-up" my eclipse environment.

I run both on my Mac and there is no problems either, I have kept my work spaces for each entirely separate though as I just test Studio and don't use it for actual work yet.

rock22 wrote: »

Dont use Android Studio, use IntelliJ community edition. Its what Android Studio is based off,however its rock solid.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Dont use Android Studio, use IntelliJ community edition. Its what Android Studio is based off,however its rock solid.
    Set it up yesterday and must say I'm fairly impressed. It seems very stable, although I didn't exactly push it to the limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I think Derek Banas tutorials on youtube are great. I haven't tackled Android yet but when I do I'll head for his series.

Whole Series

Part 1

Advertisement