Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South America is loud this evening!

Options
  • 04-06-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

After spending three weeks in Asuncion in Paraguay in 2002 on a church build project, I've been keen to make radio contact since I got my licence.

and tonight I made it. 17m CW, using my 1974 FT101b, a home made touch key and a long wire held over my back hedge by fibreglass fishing poles.

and as if that wasn't good enough, two minutes later I make my first ever 12m QSO.... Argentina using the same antenna & rig, but with a mic on SSB this time.

two new countries, and a new band altogether.

happy bunny indeed!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Wxman

Congrats on the new ones for the logbook!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

can you tell me a bit more about your antenna setup? How far off the ground it is and how do you balance it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Okey dokey, feedpoint is on top of a fishing pole, attached to the side of the house on T & K brackets, approx 6m up. 4:1 balun because I had it after a windom attempt (failed!)

core of coax goes to it, sleeve drops to a ground stake made from the boom of an old TV antenna!

the long wire itself was on ebay as automotive cable.... insulated multistrand stuff, which goes around 3 sides of the garden supported on more fishing poles about 2m above the top of the Leylandii hedge, so total about 5m up.

total length around 45m.

I have a KW E-ZEE match to give me a workable SWR.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

did you hear vk3li (have to check the log) for the correct sign 8km north of melbourne working off a 200ft mast
    Running into me 5-7 perfect audio and a perfect pile up. canada is good and i was listening to two guys last night in florida ragging to each other on 40mtrs Im on holidays now so a late night tonight :)

Just as a side note was listening to a contat in canada say the weeknds arrl contest wasa washout due to the very bad dx conditions then
    I had thought it was my setup and the neighbours had gotten plasmas but all is well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

yup, there has been a lot of solar activity which has dampened the HF propagation, but lifted the Sporadic E on VHF.....

taking with one hand, giving with the other I guess......

I've been very disappointed with 10 & 12m so far this year.

20m has been very lively, and 40 has been OK but SOOO little higher up!

• Advertisement
Advertisement