Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC 2013 English Papers - Wed. June 5th 2013 - all levels

Options
  • 04-06-2013 10:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭

English (FL, OL and HL)
    Wednesday June 5th 2013

All discussion and questions about English papers goes here, following the exam.

Good luck all.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Temporarily stickied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Just did my English paper one ... I have mixed emotions.

Personally I think I screwed up on functional writing (didn't know what to write!) but the rest I got think i've got 80%+ of the marks avaiable. My hands hurts! Did anyone fill in the entire booklet? I made it to the last page XD. My essay took 5 pages, reading comperhension took 3 pages, functional writing took 1 page and media studies 3 1/2 pages.

Also I chose topic 6 for the essay XD it was the only one that suited the essay i've learnt off, all well.

Roll on paper two! :D (I think it's easier, gonna try get 100% on it ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ow9654

Was actually pretty good, didn't prepare an essay or anything, just learned format of the letter, didn't even come up!
    Chose Topic 1? What books mean to me. Kinda suited since I done my most useful possessions essay before.

I needa learn some quotes now.
    Good luck in paper 2

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sarahmg908

ah it was grand! I chose the what books mean to me too. Right any ideas on what quotes I should learn for Romeo and Juliet?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Yeah wasn't bad at all :P
    I don't Q2 on Functional writing and Media, the comprehension was grand too

• Advertisement

Alright .. paper two was a different story! :eek:

Firstly, silly me thought the exam was finished at 4pm, so I didn't know there was 30mins more. The unseen drama and studied drama went really well! All the questions suited me. The poem was kinda awkward as I couldn't really find a lot of figurative writing styles, did still, I wrote what I thought was ;). Now, here is where the trouble starts. I thought I only had 15minutes left to the exam, and I was on studied poetry :o. So I wrote in hypocrypts and managed to sqeeze 7 paragraphs in 15mins. Then I gave up as I thought the exam was over and I didn't even start the fiction section! I turned the paper around, and then I see (2pm - 4.30pm). My heart was pounding with excitement, straight away I went to do the rest without hypocrypts. Overall, I think I did alright. After all of that, i'd be happy with a B or A, especially that I can't move my knuckles anymore :(. I'm worried that the examiner won't be able to read my writing ... because I really rushed it because I thought I wouldn't be able to finish. Ah well, I prefered last years' papers ;). Hope everyone eles did alright! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Went really well, I was so happy with paper 2 everything I predicted came up so I'm hoping for an A/B and that would be me sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Alright .. paper two was a different story! :eek:

Firstly, silly me thought the exam was finished at 4pm, so I didn't know there was 30mins more. The unseen drama and studied drama went really well! All the questions suited me. The poem was kinda awkward as I couldn't really find a lot of figurative writing styles, did still, I wrote what I thought was ;). Now, here is where the trouble starts. I thought I only had 15minutes left to the exam, and I was on studied poetry :o. So I wrote in hypocrypts and managed to sqeeze 7 paragraphs in 15mins. Then I gave up as I thought the exam was over and I didn't even start the fiction section! I turned the paper around, and then I see (2pm - 4.30pm). My heart was pounding with excitement, straight away I went to do the rest without hypocrypts. Overall, I think I did alright. After all of that, i'd be happy with a B or A, especially that I can't move my knuckles anymore :(. I'm worried that the examiner won't be able to read my writing ... because I really rushed it because I thought I wouldn't be able to finish. Ah well, I prefered last years' papers ;). Hope everyone eles did alright! :)

I thought it was finished at 4 also. It was one of the worst years in a while, we definitely had it harder, I'd like to believe. The questions were so different. I think I got a B in paper 1, as it went quite well, but paper 2 was a wreck. Drama was an absolute nightmare. Unseen poetry went really well, but I've always been okay at those kind of things, studied poetry was feckin weird, but I think I did okay. Unseen fiction was crap, but studied fiction was awesome. I'd say I got a C.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What are hypocrypts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

I found both of them grand, really. Hoping to get a B in it, ended up writing 29 pages ;) My hand doesn't hurt, I never get hand cramp :P. Overall the papers went grand but the unseen poetry question was a bit dodgy did "Digging" for it. Roll on Irish, can't wait for the exams to be over!!!

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    What are hypocrypts?
    Egypician writing XD basically symbols. I was using it as a metaphor to describe my hand writing when i'm rushed ;).

Jijsaw wrote: »
    I found both of them grand, really. Hoping to get a B in it, ended up writing 29 pages ;) My hand doesn't hurt, I never get hand cramp :P. Overall the papers went grand but the unseen poetry question was a bit dodgy did "Digging" for it. Roll on Irish, can't wait for the exams to be over!!!
    Wana swap hands?! How many is there per booklet? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Irish tomorrow :( Geography/Maths Friday woot :) and than we have CSPE, what a beauty! Just want Irish over and done with and well done Jijsaw and DublinArnie, its about quantity not quality, I'm sure everyone did grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭TheSunderz

everything went brilliand had 19 pages done with 10 minutes to relax and get feeling in my hand again. Hopin A or B now.

How many pages per answer booklet? This year's booklets had a lot more pages than the mocks ... I better count tomorrow ;).

Egypician writing XD basically symbols. I was using it as a metaphor to describe my hand writing when i'm rushed ;).

Ahah, well if the corrector can read it, you'll still get your marks. Don't worry.

I thought hieroglyphics were Egyptian writing?

29 holy **** ! talking to alot of people i got 19 id say most people said about 10-12 lol.how did u get that many done?

All of the studied questions suited my revision perfectly, two poems and give a talk, fiction couldn't have asked for better, was the world a fair one in your novel- To Kill A Mockingbird all over it (blacks and whites second class citizens all quotes included...
    What was your impression of a character how did your impression change over the play... Romeo...

For a first day that was pretty good to be honest, I feared otherwise

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    I thought hieroglyphics were Egyptian writing?
    I don't know XD To me, they're the same thing. You're probably right, my spelling sucks so I probably tried to spell what you just spelt now ;).

• Advertisement

How many pages per answer booklet? This year's booklets had a lot more pages than the mocks ... I better count tomorrow ;).

something like 12 or 14 i think

TheSunderz wrote: »
    something like 12 or 14 i think
    O wow, I maxed out my booklets, made it to the last page on paper one but maxed out on paper two.

spurious wrote: »
    Ahah, well if the corrector can read it, you'll still get your marks. Don't worry.

I'm afraid not, on the front of the booklet the language box tic thing says Bearla nó gaeilge. No hieroglyphic.

TheSunderz wrote: »
    29 holy **** ! talking to alot of people i got 19 id say most people said about 10-12 lol.how did u get that many done?

I'm a fast writer and a quick thinker. Doesn't mean I did great in the exams though, but ah well live and let live :)

On a Beatley note: Did anybody notice John Lennon Airport was mentioned in Paper 1, I had a massive grin on my face when I read that :D I had my Beatles cup with me which has a picture of John on it (obviously) and I thought to myself "congrats John you made it to the paper" :P

I filled up both my booklets except for 2 pages on each, rougly. What's that, 16 pages overall?

O wow, I maxed out my booklets, made it to the last page on paper one but maxed out on paper two.

I wrote 14 pages in paper 1 and 15 in paper 2 :) But y'all feel free to laugh at me when the results come out. I hope the examiner can read my writing...

I wrote 14 pages in paper 1 and 15 in paper 2 :) But y'all feel free to laugh at me when the results come out. I hope the examiner can read my writing...
    No one has worse writing than me when i'm worried :D. The first few pages on paper two are nice and clear ... the more the examiner progresses through the paper ... the more symbols he'll spot! ;) I must of wrote 27 1/2 pages if it's 14 pages per booklet :p. Feel free to laugh at me on September 11th (results), for some strange feeling, I feel like I got a B because of my silliness :confused:.

yeh same one paper one but got 2 extra sheets to write more finished 10 minutes to go with about 19 pages delighted.

No one has worse writing than me when i'm worried :D. The first few pages on paper two are nice and clear ... the more the examiner progresses through the paper ... the more symbols he'll spot! ;) I must of wrote 27 1/2 pages if it's 14 pages per booklet :p. Feel free to laugh at me on September 11th (results), for some strange feeling, I feel like I got a B because of my silliness :confused:.

Better a B than my inevitable C. Oh well, not the end of the world, and I always felt English wasn't quite precise enough sometimes. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

My handwriting looks similar to this: I wish we could type :(
    handwriting.jpg

Advertisement