Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC 2013 English Papers - Wed. June 5th 2013 - all levels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

Did anyone do Taming of thew shrew for unseen drama?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

i took it with me :P just to enjoy burning it after all the exams are finished :D

Same haha. They put it up already? Feck they work fast! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 juniors

Sigh....
    Anyone else take home the paper with them?
    Not the answer book ofc :P
    I have the whole thing here with me haha

I have to aswell reading over it now I wrote 19 pages for paper 2 and 15 for paper one Ithought the fiction section was really difficult praying for the honour

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DesuDesuChan

Is it basically east enders in korean? :p

LOL yeah! Except more... young adults and more glamorous, and there's always a love triangle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

Egypician writing XD basically symbols. I was using it as a metaphor to describe my hand writing when i'm rushed ;).

You mean Hyroglyphs (or however you spell it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 cocomadokka

Is it okay if I ask somebody to explain the story of the Shakespearean Drama to me please? I did Q1+3 but I wrote about Beatrice being rude to Benedick and Claudio being timid and quiet.... Looking at the paper again it doesn't seem that I did it quite right.. thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Bluestrike wrote: »
    You mean Hyroglyphs (or however you spell it)
    Yush.

juniors wrote: »
    I have to aswell reading over it now I wrote 19 pages for paper 2 and 15 for paper one Ithought the fiction section was really difficult praying for the honour
    I wrote maybe 16 in total hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Lost In Confusion

Is it okay if I ask somebody to explain the story of the Shakespearean Drama to me please? I did Q1+3 but I wrote about Beatrice being rude to Benedick and Claudio being timid and quiet.... Looking at the paper again it doesn't seem that I did it quite right.. thanks :)

Yea it's right Do you want me to translate it sentence for sentence?
    Basically before she enters he leaves cause he can't handle her talking and the guest that visits them asks her why she lost his heart as in broke up with him and she says she gave him her heart and loved him but he took his and her heart by rolling false dice meaning he was "false" "untrue " during the entire relationship. OmG The same play came up in on of the years except a different scene and at that time he was trying to "woo" her omg i was like if only it was more similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭The Union Forever

Paper 1
    Reading:
    Overall thought it went pretty well, not bad questions at all and my timing was grand too
    Personal Writing:
    Really happy with this. I did number 6 and somehow got 5 pages out of it. I was very happy with my expression in it too, I thought that it would suffer because of my poor time management.
    Functional Writing:
    I did the review of the bad experience at a local restaurant. Didn't think I'd be able to write a lot about it but it was fine. Found that question pretty easy.
    Media Studies:
    I did the anti-littering poster questions. Found it very easy. My timing was a bit rushed but I got everything done to the standard I wanted it to be at.

Paper 2
    Unseen Drama:
    Did the modern one and found the questions very easy. Ended up writing a lot though and began to spend to much time on it so I skipped it and finished it at the end.
    Studied Drama:
    Felt I did quite well in this question. Did the character question (Question 1). Had to return to and finish the question at end though.
    Unseen Poetry:
    Was really happy with the poem & questions overall because I'm not great at unseen poetry. Got all questions done on time and to the standard I wanted them at.
    Studied Poetry:
    Did question 2 and found it pretty easy.
    Unseen Fiction:
    I was a bit behind on time when I came to this section and when I saw the length of the text, I was raging. I thought the questions weren't too bad though. Probably my least favourite section.
    Studied Fiction:
    Felt this went really well. Had a good bit written and had 15 minutes left over to finish off questions and look over my work.

Thought the exam overall was probably one of the easiest in a long while. I was very happy with how I did in the exam, I couldn't care less what mark I get cause I know that I did the best I could. In paper 1 I used up the booklet as well as two supplement booklets, the same with paper 2. (I know that it's quality over quantity however). Was really surprised that I managed my time really well because I usually have terrible time management. My handwriting is just about legible, thanking God that there's no marks for presentation. Roll on Irish hey?:o

• Advertisement

I said that she was being polite to her uncle by calling him lord and stuff....
    I said she was brave from suffering through an abusive relationship...
    I turned the page and realised it was a choice question...
    -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ash182

I said that she was being polite to her uncle by calling him lord and stuff....
    I said she was brave from suffering through an abusive relationship...
    I turned the page and realised it was a choice question...
    -.-

That happened me in the mocks! And I really dislike Shakespearean stuff... I was mad. :mad: But thankfully I didnt make the same mistake today and did the other one :)

ash182 wrote: »
    That happened me in the mocks! And I really dislike Shakespearean stuff... I was mad. :mad: But thankfully I didnt make the same mistake today and did the other one :)
    Yeah, the English has me confuzzled....
    As long as I pass I'm happy, anything else is a bonus :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Hello 1996

It really doesn't matter how many pages you write in English-you could write 20 pages of rubbish or 8/10 pages of excellent English. I wrote 10 pages last year when I was doing my JC and I got an A. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Linda98

claryfray wrote: »
    I think Paper 1 was a very fair paper. I think I did quite good on that. It was a rush to get it finished though!

Paper 2 I didn't get finished. When I first read through the questions I thought they looked grand but when I started doing them I found them quite difficulty. I think the drama and novel unseen was really hard to write about...especially the novel. The poetry was fine though.

Ignore people boasting about how many booklets they wrote.
    Although you need a certain quantity, it really is quality over quantity in most cases.

I thought the exact same as you :)

Hello 1996 wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter how many pages you write in English-you could write 20 pages of rubbish or 8/10 pages of excellent English. I wrote 10 pages last year when I was doing my JC and I got an A. :)

i didnt count how much i did i went over the booklet we had though, but i focused on quality english :L

That....wow 10 pages?
    You must have tiny writing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chester3455

I notice a spelling mistake in the unseen poetry with the poets name at the top it said Linda pastan and in the third question it was spelled Linda paston.Anyone else notice any mistakes????

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Man, I might be doomed. I thought my answers were good, I thought they were well thought out for the most part etc. etc. but I was finished early, a half hour early. Everyone else is complaining about not enough time, or how their hand was killing them (mentioned on facebook). I messed up...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Linda98

OH GOSH. >.< Nooo, your's sounds more accurate than mine... I just thought we had to write out how their character would be, likeee
    Name:
    Traits:
    Relationships
    and like a brief description of her appearence? oh well :P

I did the same as you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

I notice a spelling mistake in the unseen poetry with the poets name at the top it said Linda pastan and in the third question it was spelled Linda paston.Anyone else notice any mistakes????

I thought there was a mistake in the spelling of 'handkerchief' (I looked at it and was like WHAT) but then I realised it is actually spelled like that.

I think there was a question in paper two that was phrased awkwardly.

i didnt count how much i did i went over the booklet we had though, but i focused on quality english :L

Thats really good :) I just posted my comment because there are some people boasting about writing 20+ pages :P

That....wow 10 pages?
    You must have tiny writing :P

I actually do :P I'm always getting in trouble in school for writing so small :D

Thats really good :) I just posted my comment because there are some people boasting about writing 20+ pages :P

i hope i get an a like you, you must be so proud, i'm fighting for one :P Lol if i get a **** of an examiner my papers gonna be rechecked

I actually do :P I'm always getting in trouble in school for writing so small :D
    Hehe my writing's huge but idaf if its legible who cares about its size!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Drift_King_33

Thought it was mostly alright except for the way the questions were actually phrased. Am I the only one who found the comprehension hard? Roll on Irish tomorrow -_- Can't wait for exams to be over :)

My elder sister told me that years ago, some kid in her school failed his english JC because he wrote soo small that it wasn't readable :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Thought it was mostly alright except for the way the questions were actually phrased. Am I the only one who found the comprehension hard? Roll on Irish tomorrow -_- Can't wait for exams to be over :)

Same, some of the comprehension questions were phrased kind of weird. I got it, I think. If I got it, I got it good, if I didn't, oh well :L

• Advertisement

i hope i get an a like you, you must be so proud, i'm fighting for one :P Lol if i get a **** of an examiner my papers gonna be rechecked

I was the same as you last year, my one aim was to get an A in English :P I'm sure you'll get one! :D Ya, if you're not happy with a result, get it rechecked-I always got A's in Geography and I got 92% in the mocks, but I came out in the JC with a B. I didn't get it rechecked but I really wish I had now!

Advertisement