Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retirement.

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Planet X wrote: »
    Property Tax, Motor tax, household insurance, utilities, Virgin Media/Sky, Motor insurance, Health Care Insurance, Bank charges, phone bills...yada yada yada.
    Total this up. You should see how you're fixed when you pull the plug.

215€/mo or thereabouts! Everything on that list can be changed (lowered) if you're determined to get it down. I could knock another 50€ off that if the plug was cut off and couldn't be reconnected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sometimes a wisely made decision is comprehensively undermined by a change in government policy. Or the impact of global socio-economic change. There are only so many far-away butterflies you can keep an eye on!

In my view much of the problems with renting problems is greed.
    Fair rent prices will get you good tenants.
    There will be exceptions but wise management will signal potential problems.
    I’m talking about the person who has only one or two properties and manages them himself.
    Know your clients and plan ahead.

Is that not a case of bad management?
    Surely in any business there are people who are owed money. The way to manage that is to not give to much credit or time.

The people I’m talking about know their clients and always endeavor to make wise decisions and have back-up plans.

The people (one) you are talking about rent their properties and the rent is paid by the HSE according to yourself a few posts back. I wasn't aware the HSE paid rent for folk so what you are talking about is very strange.
    I know a lad who has two houses that have two families in them and the rent is
    paid by the HSE. Seems like easy enough money.

Landlords can't decide on what credit or time they give to non paying tenants, they need to follow the law on that one which is months and months before they can evict so your bad management spiel is largely rhetoric rather then fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

But retirement is an event. Retirement in the proper sense is ending paid work. You may as well say getting your first job was not an event in your life. This talk of 'I'll never retire as I have my charity work/crafts/grandchildren' is just words: that is retirement. Life doesn't end at retirement, indeed living sometimes really begins. I've never been as occupied but I'm retired. Mrs S knits for charities and friends but she is retired. Neither is it something to be feared or regretted. It's not a slowing down or beginning of the end. It's another stage of life and an absolutely marvellous one with endless possibilities and opportunities.

Yes of course it's a milestone for many to end paid work, I just personally disagree on the need for this milestone -to stop working in the first place if you are enjoying it and it's you're doing what you're meant to do in life-it's your passion. Then it's a part of your core identity and a source of pride and happiness. That's how I feel anyway and why I never plan to retire. And no it's not the same as just having a hobby like charity work. Getting paid for my work is a validation as well as a source of income and independence so why would I want to end it just because I turn 65? I have hobbies I do just for fun, though I also have my own knitting and sewing and gardening just for pleasure.

Ageing is an inevitable slowing down sooner or later of one's physical and perhaps mental faculties, but I don't think ageing is to be feared either so long as you are happy and look after yourself well. It's just a natural process.
    For too many unfortunately retirement can't come soon enough because their work is not fulfilling, it's a daily grind of stress, or it's physically taxing and the body welcomes an end to it.

That's what I think Grace meant-not living the kind of life where one can't wait for retirement; that rather the final stage in life is just a continuation of a fulfilled happy working life. Perhaps not in the same form or intensity, but nonetheless a continuation.
    Like Grace I'll die a happy death if I have a pair of needles, or a garden spade in my hands at the end.

I didn't mean that life ends at retirement, I know many who are having a great time and having a well deserved retirement from decades of hard work, but I also knew a guy who was due to retire from decades of hard work and a week before early retirement in his mid fifties was found dead one morning having suffered a massive heart attack in his sleep. I felt sad that he never got to experience the freedom of having work he gladly got up for in the morning and that he and his family were cheated out of having him with them for the last 30 or more years of his life. It's not a happy ever after for some like him.

I'm glad you're enjoying your retirement though, really and I wish you a long and happy one with your good lady wife. :)
    Apologies for tardy reply.

Advertisement