Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss wants me to work more but take a paycut

Options
  • 04-06-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭

So I currently work a 3day week for 250e which works out at 83.33 a day today the boss rang me and told me it was the time of the season for me to start working 5 days a week which is fine but he offered me "350-380" which works out at either 70 or 76 euro. The wages are fair for the lowest position of my job outdoor activity instructor, but I'm managing the place, doing all the bookings, organising staff, equipment orders etc.

Do employers now days really think they can underpay you( typical salary for management in my job is 120-150 a day) then cut yer daily rate more and just accept you to swallow it??

Also worth pointing out that I at the minute have no contract as he wants me to bring him a contract template for the staff, so I realise from a legal point of view he can do whatever the feck he wants but I had almost quit last week when my wages were late for the second payday in a row

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It could be a sign of things to come.

He may be just trying to hoodwink you or he actually thinks that he doing you a favour by increasing your pay, even though its less per hour.

I say thank him for the offer of more hours but ask for the correct rate? All you can do is ask, if he says no ask him straight out if there is a problem with your work and tell him you feel that you are worth x amount.

If he says money is the issue, ask to work 4 days for the correct rate per hour.

It seems to me that he is passing all HR responsibilities to you any, it may be because he can't deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

negotiate, that may be his first offer but he may be willing to pay more if pushed. He may be working to the principle to start low and have room to move up when asked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

He genuinely thinks he's doing me a favour. He tried to convince me its natural to get paid less for wirking extra days. He tried to blag it off by mentioning bonuses but we had already agreed i was working on my base of 83.33 because the binuses would compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

In fairness he is not asking you to do more work for less money.
    If you are not happy with the new hourly rate then decline the offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

Arawn wrote: »
    He genuinely thinks he's doing me a favour. He tried to convince me its natural to get paid less for wirking extra days. He tried to blag it off by mentioning bonuses but we had already agreed i was working on my base of 83.33 because the binuses would compensate.

Most employers think they're doing you a favour by hiring you in the first place. All you can do is ask for your daily rate. He knows if he hired someone else they would want the same pay as you, obviously thinks you're a soft touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

In fairness he is not asking you to do more work for less money.
    If you are not happy with the new hourly rate then decline the offer

I have and he just fobbed me off. HE is doin his best to ignore the fact that
    i said no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

Arawn wrote: »
    I have and he just fobbed me off. HE is doin his best to ignore the fact that
    i said no

Have you considered putting it in writing maybe letter/e-mail? If not he'll be very disappointed when you don't show up to take your pay cut...!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    It could be a sign of things to come.
    This. It sounds like time to look around for other jobs.

Advertisement