Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time build

Options
  • 05-06-2013 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi looking to build pc, don't really know where to start so thanks for any help offered!

1. What is your budget? [€600-€800]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Sims3/ Dreamweaver/Photoshop)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Nope]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [not sure atm, waiting to collect it off a friend]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?[no]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [I don't know]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [Next month or two]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Don't need help :)

I would prefer Intel but open to suggestions. Some lad in a shop advised I'd need two solid state drives instead of regular hard drive(s) but that seems a bit much..any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Here's a system based on the new CPU just released from intel a few days ago.
    It has a fast SSD to install windows and programs you use often on to as well as a regular hard drive for storing large files.
    The graphics card is perfect for the occasional gamer and can even speed up so tasks in photoshop.
    If you don't like the case there are many more to chose from but that one offers very good value for money.

Item|Price
    8GB G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL10|€55.77
    MS Windows 8 64bit (SB-Version) Englisch|€85.11
    Samsung SSD 840 120GB SATA 6Gb/s|€81.99
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 OC, 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express|€99.00
    ASRock B85 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX|€81.89
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€31.90
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€56.74
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€46.46
    Intel Core i5-4570 Box, LGA1150|€182.15
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€740.00

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Nice build, shame the boards are still priced a little high at the moment but I suppose they will settle back down in the weeks after launch. But for a new build definately worth going 1150 for the upgrade possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

marco_polo wrote: »
    Nice build, shame the boards are still priced a little high at the moment but I suppose they will settle back down in the weeks after launch. But for a new build definately worth going 1150 for the upgrade possibilities.

HWVS haven't updated the info for the Haswell chips yet. Does anyone knows how far they TB? 'Cos I see they are clocked at 3.2 at stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Gumbi wrote: »
    HWVS haven't updated the info for the Haswell chips yet. Does anyone knows how far they TB? 'Cos I see they are clocked at 3.2 at stock.

Turbo boost on sandy bridge and ivy bridge is the same. AFAIK it's also the same on haswell

1 active core = +400 mhz
    2 active coses = +300 mhz
    3 active coses = +200 mhz
    4 active coses = +100 mhz

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The i5-4570, i5-4670 and i7-4770 go to 3.6, 3.8 and 3.9 (max) respectively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Scavage

tuxy wrote: »
    If you don't like the case there are many more to chose from but that one offers very good value for money.

Thanks for the help, looks great :)
    Silly beginner question here but with a case with no power supply included, would I need to get a specific one or what would be suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Scavage wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, looks great :)
    Silly beginner question here but with a case with no power supply included, would I need to get a specific one or what would be suitable?

There's a power supply included. A good one, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Scavage

There's a power supply included. A good one, too.

Oh seen it now, thanks :)

Advertisement